Loc/Precision Tri Star

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomopbo

Reaction score
I just finished My Loc Tri-Star.
I was very pleased with the quality of the parts. All heavy duty stuff!

Although there were no illustrations provided with the directions, they were very clear. I had no troubles with the assembly at all.
I did however swap out the launch lug for rail buttons, other than that, everything is stock and per the instructions.

I did some sanding to the centering ring holes after the motor tubes were glued together. This was to be expected since the ring holes are such a precision cut, and the epoxy does take up some small space between the tubes of course.

When trying to decide which Loc kit to purchase, I was a little concerned with the way the fins mount between the motor tubes. Now that construction is complete, I am no longer concerned. A nice epoxy fillet took care of all worries there.

I did the entire build with Devcon 5 min epoxy, so construction moved along nicely. I found this to be a very satisfying build. It was nice to turn out such a large rocket in one building session. Very satisfying.

Cant wait to get some paint on this bird and get it in the air!

100_0143crop.jpg

Looks awesome, man! That's one of the new (or re-introduced) LOC kits that I wanna build...want to do the HD Beauty too. Can't wait to see her in paint and hear a flight report. What's the plan for flight 1?

Flight 1 I plan to take it easy on it. But there will be a day in the not so distant future I will load it to the max!

Originally posted by nomopbo
...I was a little concerned with the way the fins mount between the motor tubes. Now that construction is complete, I am no longer concerned. A nice epoxy fillet took care of all worries there.

I did the entire build with Devcon 5 min epoxy, so construction moved along nicely..

I'm getting a 404 on your link to the picture.

I've been working on several versions of a design that has the fins glued between body tubes. It's a good solid alternative to through-wall and MMT attachment. I too use Devcon 5 minute epoxy (though not on this design). I'm a little concerned. The Devcon 5 minute says not to use it where it'll be exposed to heat over 93 degrees C (200 F). I'd want to know whether the temperature between two firing 29mm motors can reach that, or even approach it. Repeated exposures could weaken the epoxy.

I imagine others have built this bird and I know others have built the Viper and Stovi. I'd be interested in hearing whether any of them have noticed weakening of epoxy joint between the tubes over time.

Well my web site is going to be down for a couple days, so here is the pic uploaded.

As far as the epoxy... the LOC instructions call for 5-15 min epoxy. I guess the heat exposure warning could vary from brand to brand.

I was thinking maybe that epoxy clay might have been a good alternative, but for now, I will wait and see what happens unless someone that has had a problem in the past pipes in.

nice job!

I have 16 flights on the viper and so far, have not seen any problems with the glue joints.. I used west system 30 min epoxy.

Originally posted by nomopbo
Well my web site is going to be down for a couple days, so here is the pic uploaded.

As far as the epoxy... the LOC instructions call for 5-15 min epoxy. I guess the heat exposure warning could vary from brand to brand.

I was thinking maybe that epoxy clay might have been a good alternative, but for now, I will wait and see what happens unless someone that has had a problem in the past pipes in.

If they say that 5-15 minute is OK, chances are they're aware and it's not a problem. Good. I don't mind being wrong.

that thing looks awesome! please post a picture after paint. what engines will "taking it easy" be on?

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I don't mind being wrong.
DynaSoar,
It's not a matter of being right or wrong. You didn't have the instructions, and even so, it is still good point. I didn't consider checking the Devcon instructions.

I imagine three G's can get pretty hot! Definately something to watch. This is my first LOC kit... hopefully the method is tried and true!

Originally posted by radiO
that thing looks awesome! please post a picture after paint. what engines will "taking it easy" be on?

LOL,
I'm looking to do three E's the first flight. Not sure *specifically* which "E" yet.

Open for suggestions...

Back