The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@modelrocketguy

Third Host of The Rocketry Show... & Rocket Lover!
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all...

I flew my LOC Precision SkinWalker SWR-004 on Labor Day at AIRFest 27 with the KloudBusters! The rocket made it to 7662 ft on an AeroTech M1845NT and just under Mach.

I did have an issue with the chute not opening all the way, but the rocket landed under drogue in the soft fields of KS after the rain with no damage.

The rocket is just dirty and I brought a little bit of KS back with me! Here is a thread I started for it.

IMG_7020.jpg

I think it was one of the last flights of Airfest 27, at least from the 70s pads.

The rocket has Carbon Fiber laminated fins, wrapped booster in Carbon Fiber also. The upper payload and upper booster were wrapped in 6oz Fiberglass. The nose cone was one of the longer 4:1 ogive PML nose cones that I got from Ken at Performance Hobbies.

With the latest acquisition of PML from Dave and Jay at LOC Precision, they will start making those nose cones again, and they DO fit in the 7.6" Diameter LOC Tubing.

If anyone has any questions on this, let me know. I'll be adding more to this thread as I gather photos and videos from others.

I plan on talking about this on @TheRocketryShow also in one of our newest episodes. I am looking for feedback, good and bad, so please chime in!

Thanks for looking y'all!

Here is a picture of the booster. As you can see, the booster and fins are wrapped in 6oz Carbon Fiber and laminated with West Systems 105 Resin and 207 Clear Hardener. I used black epoxy die as well to give it the color. Believe it or not, the fillets were done with BSI (I ran out of RocketPoxy... give me a break), and they turned out okay.

7ABDBDDC-9083-4BF1-8CB5-1B06FCE50605.jpeg

Here is a photo with the fins from the KS mud after landing.

IMG_7073.jpg

The rocket main chute did not fully unravel. It got caught in its own harness, which is unfortunate. The good news is the rocket didn't suffer any damage, so I feel I did my wrap job correctly. I have inspected the rocket pretty heavily and I'm confident there are no hidden cracks or compromised areas where this couldn't fly again. It did fall under drogue only from the 7600', so I feel that my build techniques added to the luck.

I am looking to see if I can get photos or videos from some others to see how the main looked on the way down. I need some help to determine what can be done in future flights to not have this happen. If this was a Cert attempt, I would not have passed and that's something I feel can be fixed! Even tho I am Level 3, I am taking it personally that the issue happened!

Thanks all!

Here is a video part of the UP. This flew on the Aerotech 98mm M1945NT New Blue Thunder motor. I got 7662 ft per the RRC2L.

I understand that others got some footage and passed it on to Blaine from Model Rocket TV and he's making a video documentary of the setup and flight. That's cool and all, but I'm dying to see more footage myself!

Enjoy!

View attachment SWR-004.mov

We'll give you "RockStar of the DAy" award for Labor Day!!! Congrats man!!! Nice flight! It's hard to mess up a booster with Loc-N-Fins!!!

I love the glossy look you get from the laminating epoxy, beautiful!

I want one!! but seriously, stunning carbon fins, upload more pictures to show the group!

Back