Loc Precision Park Flyer + Qjets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreuB1

Reaction score
Looking to build a few smaller rockets that I can have fun with at a park. Always been curious about the Park Flyer series that LOC came out with several years ago as well as the new Qjet composite motors.

Seems like a lot of fun can be had for not a lot of money.

Thinking of the Park Flyer EZE or the Park Flyer Magnum, throw a 24mm adapter into it and fly it on Qjet D20's.

Anyone have experience and/or thoughts on any of the above??

LOC also has the Mini Series that has an 18mmt and can fly on 18mm Qjet D's.

Again, any thoughts?

The LOC park flyers are heavy for their size due to the thick wall tube. The HyperLOC 160 barely gets 500' on the Q-Jet E26W and its one of the smaller kits.

They're great kits but are better suited to the 24/60 reload case for 24mm motors. Prep time is longer but cost is cheaper I believe (from memory)

On all my park flyers, I add an Estes 29mm retainer and use the Estes 24mm to 29mm adapter. Launched from a 6' rod or rail, they fly pretty great.

The LOC park flyers are heavy for their size due to the thick wall tube. The HyperLOC 160 barely gets 500' on the Q-Jet E26W and its one of the smaller kits.

They're great kits but are better suited to the 24/60 reload case for 24mm motors. Prep time is longer but cost is cheaper I believe (from memory)

On all my park flyers, I add an Estes 29mm retainer and use the Estes 24mm to 29mm adapter. Launched from a 6' rod or rail, they fly pretty great.

Thank you for the insight!!

Have you flown the Mini's or I think they call them the 1-series (1" diameter)?

These both seem like really fun kit series and I am not sure how I never looked into them before. After building 4", 5" and 6" FG kits and big motors. There is something appealing about building something small that you can fly literally at school field like I think we all did when we were first starting out.

The 1" kits are pretty much Estes type. Thin wall and light. They'll fly fine on BP motors and so they'll really get up there on Q-Jets.

I’m a little confused about the original question being asked - is there a specific reason to limit the choices for a relatively low flying rocket well suited to Q Jet motors to LOC kits? There’s a wide selection of LPR rockets with “presence”, as it were, that fly great on Q Jets. Certainly not a criticism of anyone’s personal preference just curious…

I’m a little confused about the original question being asked - is there a specific reason to limit the choices for a relatively low flying rocket well suited to Q Jet motors to LOC kits? There’s a wide selection of LPR rockets with “presence”, as it were, that fly great on Q Jets. Certainly not a criticism of anyone’s personal preference just curious…
Sounds like he wants to try out LOC park flyer kits as well as Q-Jets and was hoping they'd go together well.

I think the upcoming E35 and F41 Q-Jets would be appropriate.

The park flier rockets are the 1.63" kits and some of them are a bit heavy for normal BP motors but others fly just fine. I have personally flown the IRIS, EZE and Magnum on D12-3 motors. These are the true definition of park fliers as they typically max out around 400-450 feet on the D12 motor. A Quest D20 will give you about the same thrust off the pad but will run out of steam earlier. I find that the E20 motors are a good fit for most of the park flier kits.

The mini kits are the smaller 1" tubes. This is LOC's answer to the low power world. They are built with heavier wall tubes and better components than a typical Estes or Quest kit and you can see and feel the quality that justifies the extra cost. These mini kits fly great on Estes BP motors. I typically send my Ultimate and Big Nuke Mini up on B6-4 motors when altitude is a concern.

I've got some of the mini series and they are great for the 18mm motors. They are like estes in tube thickness but have the traditional Loc construction that makes them stout. I even converted one to dual deploy and flew it on a C6 bp motor.

I've got some of the mini series and they are great for the 18mm motors. They are like estes in tube thickness but have the traditional Loc construction that makes them stout. I even converted one to dual deploy and flew it on a C6 bp motor.
18mm DD - only in TRF! 😆

A couple of years ago this B.A.R., to ease back into the hobby after a 45+ year hiatus, built a few LPR kits (LOC I, Xeno, Wizard, etc.) and wanted too to try 18mm AP/Quest engines (hey, D engines in 18mm! But where are my B14s??). I found that the typical metal engine-retaining hooks usually didn't allow complete insertion of Quest engines, due to their ejection charge's 'shoulder', unless you first grInd off approximately 1/2 of the fore 'hook' before assembling the 18mm MMT (or use, ugh, a rat-tail file if afterward). Just FYI.

Last edited:
Back