Loc Precision Mega, Micro and Nano Magg Build threads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nraymondb

Reaction score
The awesome guys at LOC sent me their three new kits.(Thanks guys!) The great quality of these kits are a LOC Precision standard, and I didn't expect anything less from them. I will build them all simultaneously here on this thread. I will start the builds this Monday and post my progress on here. Im hoping to get them done by AIRfest.
IMG_4348.jpg

Way cool. If you leave them alone in a room together, maybe they'll multiply and you'll get more?

Watching. I'm pretty interested in the mega.

So the fins now have roots all the way to the MMT? My normal Minie-Magg (need to finish building it one of these days) used the short roots to keep the tail weight down.

Awesome, Nik!!! Looking forward to following along!

If you don't finish them by airfest, bring them along and we'll finish them AT Airfest.

Ps...will bring along your motors and it'll be great to see you again!

Eric

So the fins now have roots all the way to the MMT? My normal Minie-Magg (need to finish building it one of these days) used the short roots to keep the tail weight down.

We've had multiple complaints about the fins snapping right above the "loc-n-fin" tab just below the air frame. We decided for strength to add the entire tab to the motor tube again.

Today I started to build the 2.5" and the 4" Maggs.
Ive laid out all the parts for the 2.5" version, and basically the 4" in version is the same.
IMG_4368.jpg
I did a test fit of all the components and what can I say, they were manufactured with Precision!
I sanded both motor mount tubes with 150 grit to get a better bond between the wood and the paper.
IMG_4370.jpgIMG_4372.jpg
I am just using 5 min epoxy for basic bonding on these two rockets. The fillets, when I get to them, I will use Pro-Line epoxy because I like how it flows into an extremely smooth fillet.
After the motor mounts are done, I epoxied them into the airframes.
Next up are the fins. I just rounded the edges, and sanded the surfaces. I use a Dremel to get a rough shape, then go over with 150 grit to smooth them out. I used a orbital sander on the surfaces to smooth them out.
After, I make a fin jig to align the fins.
IMG_4373.jpg
IMG_4376.jpgIMG_4378.jpg
While that was curing, I went ahead on the 2.5" nose cone and filled in the imperfections.
First off, i washed the nose cone with dish soap and a scotch bright pad. Then i roughed up the surface with 400 grit, and went over the parts i was going to fill with 150 grit.
I washed the nose cone again and then filled it with model putty.
After that I used two different nail "buffers" to smooth it out, which works really well because they are foam and contour to the shape of the nose cone. I will do this with the 4" nose cone as well.
IMG_4377.jpgIMG_4379.jpg
The last thing I did for today was sand the body tubes with 400 grit sand paper and drill and tap the rail guide holes. I tap them just because it makes them a little easier to screw in the rail guides.
IMG_4380.jpgIMG_4382.jpg
Tonight or tomorrow Ill do the fillets and fill in the spirals.

Yesterday I had a chance to get out and fly the 4" Magg. I did a total of 4 flights, and they all went well.
DSC_0272.jpg
Here it is sitting on the pad.

DSC_0310.jpg
The first two flights were on Vulcan F80 Smokey Sam's. These were old motors from 88'!

DSC_0294.jpg
I used a longer shock cord, and the chute release set at 300'.

DSC_0325.jpg
The third flight was on a Vulcan G80 Low Smoke. Awesome flight and great flame!

DSC_0356.jpg
The fourth flight was on an Aerotech H115DM. Drilled out the delay to 10 seconds, a very straight and true flight.

This rocket is great for small fields. She performed well so far on F-H motors. Easy to build, and a straight flyer.
All flights I just friction fit the motors with tape.
Next up is the 2.5" version flights next month.

Back