Loc Precision Expediter Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exprditer789

Reaction score
Im building the Loc Precision expediter.Do you have any suggestions on the build?The motor mount is already epoxied into the rocket.Alex

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

Last edited:
First bit of advice...Epoxy is nice but not needed in projects where you are bonding wood to wood or a wood-fiber product. Epoxy is really only necessary when you are bonding dissimilar materials such as plastic to wood or non-wood products. I only use epoxy on the fin fillets because it looks better. Turns out, wood glue is stronger than the materials you are bonding together.

More advice (since you seem new) scuff up every surface with sand paper that gets glue. Scuff up the body tube enough to get rid of the glassine coating on the body tube where you are going to put the fin fillets.

Have you done anything for motor retention?

Most important advice - have fun with it and take your time. No need to rush a hobby.

-Dave

Edit: Be sure to check this out:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/loc_expediter.shtml

Last edited:
I started building a scratch built Expediter out of spare parts a couple days ago. I went on this forum to get some ideas also, then I saw this thread and thought I would post.
Im pretty much just slapping my Expediter together but because the spare parts are in good shape its coming out nicer than I thought.

My only suggestion would be to make it dual deploy .

Heres a pic of my contraption.

The Expediter is a good stable rocket. Have fun
Terry
Expiditer.jpg

Thats one heck of an Expediter, Terry :) CF is the whole build CF, or just the fin can? Btw, thats pretty cool.

Thats one heck of an Expediter, Terry :) CF is the whole build CF, or just the fin can? Btw, thats pretty cool.

Hi Gabe,
Its all carbon.
I needed something to fly around here.
Im trying to get it ready and maybe test fly it at gumberts this weekend if I get it done.
Maybe Ill see you there
Terry

What are you doing about the nose cone attachment? I always dremel a hole in the shoulder and then attach an eye bolt with a large washer and nut inside on my PML rockets.

What are you doing about the nose cone attachment? I always dremel a hole in the shoulder and then attach an eye bolt with a large washer and nut inside on my PML rockets.

I think i am going to just friction fit the nose cone right now with some tape sense it is not duel deploy.Alex

I think i am going to just friction fit the nose cone right now with some tape sense it is not duel deploy.Alex

I think he meant how are you going to attach your recovery harness to the nosecone. I am unfamiliar with the Expediter, but I am assuming that the harness is attached to the nosecone. I have stopped using the plastic eyelets that are formed on nosecones because they often break in non-perfect deployments. (Deployments that are too fast.) So I have either used a bulkhead or drilled a hole for a metal eyebolt attachment.

However, if the Expediter's recovery harness does not attach to the nosecone, then this point is moot. Except, I would always strive to use some form of positive retention method such as screws, plastic rivets, or sheer pins (To get ready for duel deploy one day) than use passive restraint such as friction fit.

The shock cord goes from the eye bolt i put in the centering ring to the plastic airframe reducer.Alex

Attachments

• IMG_1329.jpg
    IMG_1329.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I built the smaller version of the Expediter, the LOC Lil' Diter. The nose cone is permanently attached to the top reduced section of the rocket (or semi permanently if you want for later altimeter installation). The parachute and shock cord are stored in the larger lower section of the rocket underneath the transition, so instead of attaching to the nose cone, it's too the transition. You can either tie the shock cord directly to the transition and epoxy the not or cut open the side of it and slide in a u-bolt or the likes to attach it to if you think that’s stronger.

Just finished the first primer coat on my expediter.I used Duplicolor filler primer works great and sands great too.Here are some pictures.:)

IMG_1362.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I was referring to the harness-nose cone attachment. As Rocketlaw said, the plastic eyelet on the nose cone is of marginal value.

Im on the way to get some Bondo.I filled the deep spirals and that worked out fine then there were smaller ones and i thought they were ok but they did not fill with Primer so now i have to use bondo to fill them and the seam on the nose cone and air frame reducer.Alex

Bondo is good stuff. If the spirals aren't that deep consider getting the Bondo spot putty. It's a little easier to work with - no mixing involved.

-Dave

Im on the way to get some Bondo.I filled the deep spirals and that worked out fine then there were smaller ones and i thought they were ok but they did not fill with Primer so now i have to use bondo to fill them and the seam on the nose cone and air frame reducer.Alex

Bondo is ok to use...but I like to use Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty and add some Titebond Wood Glue into the Durham's and it works well for me. More glue added to the mixture then more sanding required.

Later!:cheers:

When you sand the fillers down do you get it perfect or close to perfect.I sanded some bondo down and primed this little area to test it and it filled it pretty good.Am i being to picky or am i not doing some thing right.Is there even a such word "perfect" in rocketry?Alex :confused::confused2:

Thank you,There masks from stickershock23.I think they turned out awsome.Alex:D

Last edited:
Back