LOC Precision 5.5" Patriot Missile video build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyfalcons

Reaction score
My original Estes Patriot is one of my most-flown rockets when I was younger, and I still enjoy flying it and my 3" upscale version. I've been wanting to get the LOC 5.5" version for a while now, and finally pulled the trigger when Wildman put them on sale last Black Saturday.

I could have taken pictures of the build and posted them, but it's a much bigger PITA to make build videos. So that's what I went with. Let's get started.

Very Nice Ryan...……. It will be a Honorable addition to your Patriot collection, no doubt !!
I am getting started on My LVL 2 Build. Using Binder Design kit parts to scratch build a 4" dia; 90+ inch tall Model with a 54mm Motor Mount.
Also using Cardboard tubing and some plywood Rings, and Phenolic Fins

I appreciate your build videos !

Excellent build video.

Always interesting to see how other build their rockets. That's probably the best way to learn new techniques.

Much appreciated

Watching this thread because following you on YouTube and watching the videos as soon as they're released isn't quite enough. Keep up the good work!

Booster section construction. This rocket is a great way to get into 5.5" diameter size without getting crazy big or heavy. With the kids home all the time now, I don't get as much garage time as I'd like. But work continues best I can!

Booster section construction. This rocket is a great way to get into 5.5" diameter size without getting crazy big or heavy. With the kids home all the time now, I don't get as much garage time as I'd like. But work continues best I can!

Nice video. That thin sanding bar is certainly convenient For that do you need special paper (looks like it is adhesive backed) from Great Planes?

Nice video. That thin sanding bar is certainly convenient For that do you need special paper (looks like it is adhesive backed) from Great Planes?
Yes, I get the adhesive-backed sandpaper from Tower Hobbies. Very convenient, but kind of a pain when it comes time to swap out paper.

Yes, I get the adhesive-backed sandpaper from Tower Hobbies. Very convenient, but kind of a pain when it comes time to swap out paper.
There are a number of adhesive backed sandpapers available on Amazon that will work with a bit of trimming, I long ago quit buying the Great Planes aandpaper as it was overpriced (when it was available) the sanding bars however are a loss to the hobbyist, I have the 5.5" and 11" and love them, seriously wished I had the 22" as well.

Very, very clean build and well done videos. I am a fan of LOC 5.5 airframes as well as Rocketpoxy. Look forward to your next video.
IMG_6684.JPG

Enjoying your videos! What is the full scale you are building? I have a Waiex-B on my project want list :)

I have found making a stiffy from shipping tubes close (but larger than the bays diameter) much easier and just as good as FG on the interior of the AV bay coupler.
I was interested to see how lightweight the Av bay construction in the video was. When I first saw the stock Loc 5.5"coupler I just assumed it was insufficient for Av bay use. For the one I built a couple of years back, I used a Loc coupler, bonded to a postal tube stiffener with wood glue, then a layer of FG inside that. Porous surfaces were sealed with CA. It's tough, but a bit heavy - 1.2kg / 2 Ib 10 ounces fully kitted with electronics, hardware and lids. I realise in retrospect I perhaps over did things a bit....
20200911_204320.jpg

Finishing up the build series with final details and a launch. Did I end up liking the Patriot? Watch to find out! Just kidding, of course I like it! I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Job well done sir !!!
Great video might I add !!!
👍🏻

Back