Loc Precision 3.9L electronics bay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
so I was looking over my new av bay kit that came in the mail noting that there were some changes in design from the last version, such as the massive slab of plywood provided for the sled, it is 1/4" thick, which is a bit of a problem. the mounting hardware of a PF SL altimeter isn't long enough to handle the added thickness, this by itself wouldn't be a problem just get longer screws...which are an odd size, at a guess they are either #3 machine screws or M3 metric screws (not sure which). not sure I need a McMaster of odd size screws :). ah well I'll figure something out.
Rex

at a guess they are either #3 machine screws or M3 metric screws (not sure which).
Rex

I just checked the PF SL stand offs and screws against my stock of M3 nuts and inserts for you. They're not compatible, so the PF screws must be UNC #3 machine screws, not metric.

quite likely 3-48s then. well I have some 3/16 square stock basswood, probably use some 2-56 screws* to 'get-r-done', need to stop by the hardware store for other essentials.
*4-40s would work...after opening up the holes in the circuit board a smige. thanks for checking
Rex

... such as the massive slab of plywood provided for the sled, it is 1/4" thick, which is a bit of a problem....
Rex

Odd. Ditch the 1/4" lumber and go with 1/8" ply or fiberglass sheet. I just use pedestrian 1/8" plywood from Michaels for all my sleds.

I use a 1/4" forester bit to give a flat bottom hole for the nut to sit in (drill press required). It makes the 1/4" ply about 1/8" thick at the hole, but keeps the overall stiffness and strength of the 1/4" sled. Also reduces the cost of having to replace it.

picked up some 1/8" x 4" x 12" ply ($1.50 a sheet) and some brass tube at the hardware store, figured just as easy to make a new sled (w/ battery box).
Rex

Back