LOC/Precision 1.9 Photon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler P

Nom-nom-nom...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to the guys at LOC, I've got a fun little project to share while I wait for other bits for my L2 rocket!

The new Photon is a cool-looking rocket with a 24mm mount that should be a great performer on pretty much any 24mm motor you can stuff in it!

I opened mine up last night and got to gluing the motor mount. I've built a number of LOC kits and this is right in line with their usual quality, fit, finish, and included equipment.

Here are some pics to start it off and I'll update as I go. I plan to give this one some flashy paint, as well!

Enjoy!20201027_203503.jpg20201027_204624.jpg

As you can see, nice laser-cut ply parts, decal, kevlar harness, nice nylon chute, rail buttons AND launch lug (build to your preference) and a nice fire protection blanket are all included!

Typical LOC quality!

I will be adding an Estes 24mm plastic screw-on retainer. Economical motor retention that I use on pretty much all my mid-power builds now.

Next steps will be fin prep, tube prep, and installing the motor mount.

A bit more work done. The motor mount is installed and I've started working on the fin prep. I've rounded the leading edges and cleaned up the charring where the fin surfaces meet the tube for good adhesion.20201029_123410.jpg20201029_125112.jpg20201029_131909.jpg

Looks great!
Thanks. It's a nice kit. I didn't use the screw eye to attach the shock cord. Instead I notched the fwd. centering ring and glued the shock cord to the motor tube. I tried to do internal fillets, they're kind of so-so. Not much room to get a stick between the motor mount and body tube to apply epoxy.PXL_20201009_153704440.jpg

Thanks. It's a nice kit. I didn't use the screw eye to attach the shock cord. Instead I notched the fwd. centering ring and glued the shock cord to the motor tube. I tried to do internal fillets, they're kind of so-so. Not much room to get a stick between the motor mount and body tube to apply epoxy.View attachment 436530

On a rocket of this weight and power, I'm not really concerned about internal fillets. It's already way stronger than a surface mounted fin, so good tacking at the root and some nice fillets at the body tube will make it prett much indestructible anyway.

I've also decided to use only Titebond III on it. Too lazy to mix epoxy this week. I'll have enough of that when I do the external fillets on my 4" IRIS in a couple weeks.

On a rocket of this weight and power, I'm not really concerned about internal fillets. It's already way stronger than a surface mounted fin, so good tacking at the root and some nice fillets at the body tube will make it prett much indestructible anyway.

I've also decided to use only Titebond III on it. Too lazy to mix epoxy this week. I'll have enough of that when I do the external fillets on my 4" IRIS in a couple weeks.
I'm sure wood glue is fine for this kit. I just figured I'd build it on the heavy side to use some of the F (or G) motors available in 24mm.
I wonder why I lose so many rockets...16040097210193149928595808477142.jpg

Lol, yup. She's a goner, haha! I wouldn't have put that aeropak on there if you're launching with a G, haha!

I'm keeping mine for the lighter trips to the field with the launch rod, so I'll be installing the lug instead of the buttons. Goes well with my other LOC park-fliers. Probably will never go above an E15 on this. That'll send plenty high enough for my local spots.

So, got the fins on today. Will do some light fillets. Just need to install the 24mm screw-on retainer and launch lug and then prep for paint.20201029_194124.jpg

Filets done and spirals filled. Also decided to go the step further and fill the molding marks on the nose cone. I'll let that set overnight and give it a quick sand in the morning. I'll prime the nose cone with Tamiya Fine Surface primer (automotive works well also, but I manage a hobby shop, so it's easier to grab the Tamiya) and I'll give the rest a couple of coats of waterbased polyurethane before priming it with AutoAir Colours white sealer.

Then the paint layout and designing begins.20201029_210424.jpg

Got the sanding done. Now it's ready for a couple coats of waterbased polyurethane finishing resin to seal the cardboard. For those who haven't seen my other threads, I find it necessary to do this so that the paint and paper don't come up when using masking tape.

In the background is the new LOC 1.9 Blaster, which I've put together for my daughter to paint. All the same goodies come with that one as in the Photon kit, so really great stuff!

Next shots should be of a much cleaner bench while I prep for paint!20201101_215930.jpg

I got one of those at the last ROCI meet in Oct from our vendor. I bet LOC does an upscale - it's really good looking and different from more standard LOC designs. Would be great in 76/98 and easy for them. I haven't decided on a retainer or clip - like to be able to fly on the cheap with BP motors at times but HATE putting the tape edge on them...

Cheers / Robert

I actually only did the tape edge thing for the first time a little while ago. It's a little bit time consuming but it works pretty well. I did it with the LOC 29mm-24mm adapter so I could fly some 24mm in the LOC park-flier rockets.

Odd - when I saw pictures of the Photon my first reaction was - meh - but seeing this one unpainted has changed my mind - that’s a good looking rocket. Is it me or are a number of LOC’s facecard paint schemes just not very attractive?

So now I have to ask, as I am considering purchasing an airbrush... Which one do you suggest.

I've used the Paasche Talon and the Iwata Eclipse. I used the Talon for a few years, and have several of them, but switched to the Iwata last winter. I really like the smoothness of the Iwata, but the Talon was a good brush also. Either one will work but I prefer the Iwata.

Odd - when I saw pictures of the Photon my first reaction was - meh - but seeing this one unpainted has changed my mind - that’s a good looking rocket. Is it me or are a number of LOC’s facecard paint schemes just not very attractive?

Yeah, sometimes that happens! I'm hoping to give it a bit of flash. It's really a cool-looking rocket with the double fin set. A larger version would look so cool. I hope the paint works out well. What I have in my head hopefully will translate well to the actual rocket.

I've used the Paasche Talon and the Iwata Eclipse. I used the Talon for a few years, and have several of them, but switched to the Iwata last winter. I really like the smoothness of the Iwata, but the Talon was a good brush also. Either one will work but I prefer the Iwata.
Any suggestions on the compressor set up

Any suggestions on the compressor set up

I use a big 20-gallon stand-up compressor in my shop. Although it's big and loud, it doesn't have to run all that much because of the big air capacity.

Depending on how much noise you can deal with, a small 5 gallon tool compressor would work okay providing the regulator works well. If you plan on spraying any oil-based paint, make sure you get a moisture trap. I don't use one myself because I spray all waterbased.

If you want something that is super quiet, both Paasche and Iwata make decent airbrushing specific compressors. However, they're usually a fair bit more expensive for what you're getting in output.

Thanks to the guys at LOC, I've got a fun little project to share while I wait for other bits for my L2 rocket!

Yeah same here... won one at the Midwest Power raffle. Probably not something I'd picked up myself, but considering get another set of two to do with my niece and nephew.

So the thing I do with pretty much all my mid-power rockets, and even in Bt-55/BT-60 low power rockets, is to run a tube (3/16 or 1/4 launch tube is usually what I use on midpower) along side the engine mount. The kevlar cord then runs through the tube and gets looped around the engine mount. I leave just enough space with the Estes, Rocketarium, Aeropack screw on retainer to leave a small gap the cord sits in. Has worked pretty well thus far on a 54mm LOC custom build, a 54mm Wildman fiberglass, both on 29mm. Works great on a few BT-70 24mm builds, as well as a mach1 BT-60 build,, and as I mentioned I've used it when I scratch build BT-55/BT-60 sounding rockets.

Thanks. It's a nice kit. I didn't use the screw eye to attach the shock cord. Instead I notched the fwd. centering ring and glued the shock cord to the motor tube. I tried to do internal fillets, they're kind of so-so. Not much room to get a stick between the motor mount and body tube to apply epoxy.

What paint do you use? I have an Iwata that I use to do R/C bodies (poorly, but eh) and keep considering trying to airbrush on a rocket.

I use AutoAir Colors, Vallejo Premium, and Mission Models RC. AutoAir and Vallejo are my two favorites, as I haven't used the Mission Models nearly as much, but they do have very rich colours.

I had a little sideline doing RC bodies but I've backed away from it because I just don't have the time. TPaint is my page on facebook.

A bit of progress tonight. A couple of light coats of the waterbased polyurethane finishing resin. My HVLP gun had some issues from sitting too long, so I just did a bit and then spent the rest of the time cleaning the gun. It should be good to go for a final good coat after a sanding.

20201102_191827.jpg20201102_202310.jpg

Tyler, what do you use for sealing spirals? And do you always seal them? Not sure I noticed in your previous build posts. Does the EZE-Kote help seal them at all? (In case it's not evident, I'm not a big fan of doing spirals!).

Also, after reading your posts I'm thinking of giving airbrushing a try, considering all the advantages. I notice you refer to your HVLP gun, as well as Iwatas, etc. Can a fellow make do with just one high quality airbrush? I'm guessing you use the HVLP for the EZE-Kote - primer too?

Thanks.

NAR #291929

Back