Loc Pk-66 Ultimate; Now a build thread w/pictures.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, turns out trying to assemble all 7 motor tubes when they're not tight/parallel for their entire length is akin to herding cats. That meant a jig was in order. Out came the chop box, screw gun, titebond 2 and some scrap mdf. 20 minutes later it all fell into place almost as if it were made for it.[/ATTACH] 20180719_181416 (1).jpg 20180719_183605.jpg

Attachments

• 20180721_143417.jpg
    20180721_143417.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Good grief; I am absolutely terrible with the new site format. Multiple multiple pic posts like mad and when I edited 'em out half of my text disappeared. Maybe if I try harder?

Finally found some time to stick most of the motor(s)? mount together. I had every intention of sticking to the "build it light stupid" plan and use Titebond 2. See how that worked out for me... Ended up mixing 24 grams of Rocket Poxy and used every bit of it. Obviously gonna get even heavier when I add the last two tubes and after deciding on recovery attachment, gluing the top cr in place. The O.R. file I pulled off of Rocket Reviews claims 54oz w/o motors, doubt I'll even come close.20180721_201211.jpg

Looks like that extra.125" spacing on the rear thrust plate/centering ring
I've got one. Loves to eat G80s!
If you plan to use HP reload casings, be careful to open up the rings to give the motormount tubes a bit of room for the aft closures. Butting them tight won't work. Ditto on the suggestion to nest the fins between motor tubes. I did like the instructions (fins lined up on motor tubes and just through the airframe) and they frequently crack at the fillet.
Gotta give Ya props for getting me thinking about the tube spacing. That extra.125" between centers on the rear centering ring/thrust plate/landing pad seem to have paid off. So far, so good. I really want to put those last two tubes in but I have to be up early tomorrow so I guess their just gonna have to wait. 20180721_220830.jpg 20180721_220919.jpg

A classic two'fer. By spreading the tubes @ the aft end not only it points the offset thrust in the "better" direction but at the same time allows room for high power thrust rings/closures. I just cringe when I see exposed cardboard at the arse end of a rocket, even reinforced it just screams landing damage. The thrust plate allowed me to solve two problems at once in that regard. Gives me more robust landing surface and allowed me to spread the motor tubes without the whole thing just falling apart whilst cutting it. Also allowed me to put the "stock" centering ring back into play as a mid ring. Neat huh?20180722_091346.jpg

No proble. Good job on the stepped centering ring. I use a CNC for that. I have never seen it done on a lathe(?).

Future note, TBII or TBIII could help keep the weight off the back end. If anything breaks, it ll be the paper, not the glue.

Looking forward to seeing it fly!

What's your strategy for guaranteed ignitionx7?

No proble. Good job on the stepped centering ring. I use a CNC for that. I have never seen it done on a lathe(?).
Chuck; I make no claims about being a machinist, I'm a retired Union Carpenter that loves to tinker with and fabricate "stuff". That is a Harbor Freight combo 9"x34" lathe mill combo machine (which pretty much means it's not great for either;)). The lathe actually isn't too bad, the mill is almost useless but I've had it for about 11 years and it's paid for itself several times over.

Future note, TBII or TBIII could help keep the weight off the back end. If anything breaks, it ll be the paper, not the glue.

Looking forward to seeing it fly!

What's your strategy for guaranteed ignitionx7?
I have Rocketflite clusterfire (Clutermaster Boris Kataan swears by it) and Eggtimer Quantum (at least 'till I can afford a 4 pyro altimeter) for now. Multiple airstarts is my eventual goal. I know, stupidly expensive but oh so cool...

Can someone please verify my math before I screw up my Y harness? Total mass at apogee deploy should be 3.5lbs @ the front of the break point and depending on what and how many motors between 2.1lbs and 3lbs @ the fincan. I have material I'd like to use that will give me a 135Lb working load. If the two halves hit at 10g's max. my harness shouldn't see more than 35Lbs total? Or am I way off base here....

Sounds close enough. The heavier piece will get slowed down, the lighter piece will be jerked backwards a bit.

Question is: Will your ejection really decelerate them at 10 g's?
What's your charge size and tube volume?

Sounds close enough. The heavier piece will get slowed down, the lighter piece will be jerked backwards a bit.

Question is: Will your ejection really decelerate them at 10 g's?
What's your charge size and tube volume?
I hope never to see 10 G's, just used it as worst case scenario. Haven't even looked at volumes or even chutes yet. I figure it's easier to get actual built weights first. The weights I posted are educated guesses using a combination of actual part weights and historical guesstimates on recovery/glue/paint and don't forget the all important whatnot. My Y harness will not be easy to replace so I just need to be sure it'll handle those weights @ 10 G's. If so, I'm gold..

Last edited:
Ok, that would make my 135# rated harness a bit on the light side. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Ok, finally found time to permanetize the last two motor mount tubes. I didn't make half the mess out of it I expected to. That is not an easy one to assemble neatly. I'm 99 percent decided on my harness/attachment but it's late so I'll sleep on it. I'm sure I'll wake up with the answer....20180722_222739.jpg

I've got one. Loves to eat G80s!
If you plan to use HP reload casings, be careful to open up the rings to give the motormount tubes a bit of room for the aft closures. Butting them tight won't work. Ditto on the suggestion to nest the fins between motor tubes. I did like the instructions (fins lined up on motor tubes and just through the airframe) and they frequently crack at the fillet.
Looks to me like they realized the fin to body tube connection was a weak point. The instructions reflect this, the fin tabs do not. Odds are I received new/updated instruction sheet and new old stock fins?20180723_064752.jpg 20180723_064942.jpg

In lieu of guessing, I decided it would be best to go straight to the source. Just fired an eMail to Loc customer service rega 20180723_063406 (1).jpg rding the fin tabs. This way we'll know for sure. And I had a pleasant surprise awaiting me this morning. Everything fits like a glove:). If you like a challenge, I highly recommend:confused: this kit. Price seemed a bit high at first for a "cardboard" rocket, but it is a very "complete" kit. Comes with everything needed (if you intend to fly single deploy that is) even has all needed hardware, harness and even a chute. And it's just so damn versatile w/7 motor tubes. Potential flights are almost endless, be prepared to waste an entire day playing w/sims:D. 20180723_063341 (1).jpg

I finally got my computer (tower) set up again! With a nice 40" 1080p monitor that I can actually see detail on (most of the time). That means I have access to O.R. again. I have some stupid form of in-correctable eye disease that seems to be progressing nicely so I have to get creative with work arounds. Yes, stacking reader glasses, magnifiers and loupes does indeed work. I "discovered" you can even take pictures through them when the injector driver on my truck started acting up. Borrowed a microscope, set it to 50x, took pics and brought them too my local electronics store for replacement parts/advice. Fixed 'er right up for less than 5 bucks. Lots better than the several hundred for a re-man unit, living on a fixed income with more time than money leads to "forced creativity" (new term, I claim full credit:rolleyes:). Here's an example, if I remember correctly it's an Eggtimer Quark with and ordinary toothpick and a grain of Minute Rice for reference. Believe that was shot through a 7x loupe. Cool huh?20180513_081353.jpg

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...Looks like the time spent building a simple jig for my motor(s) mount paid off handsomely (with handsomeness?) Or possibly hansomenessfully? I can't decide so I'll just show you...20180723_085004.jpg 20180723_085029.jpg

Hey! It looks like you found something. We pulled this straight out of the archives as we had several requests. Let's fix those fins so they set in the valley!!! I'll work on it today and can hopefully get them shipped asap. That short tab is useless!!! Apologies for that miss and we'll recall the rest in stock and fix this issue.

Hey! It looks like you found something. We pulled this straight out of the archives as we had several requests. Let's fix those fins so they set in the valley!!! I'll work on it today and can hopefully get them shipped asap. That short tab is useless!!! Apologies for that miss and we'll recall the rest in stock and fix this issue.
Wow, just Wow! Did not expect that kind service at all. Thank You kind Sir and or Madam (having a hard time with all this political correctness crap, I'm old dammit, can't I just be old and set in my ways?) I will absolutely be doing future business with you guys. Just for the record: My original package had a crunchy body tube and unfortunately it was the sustainer with the shipping damage at the aft end near the fin slots. since this precluded me simply cutting off the damaged area and carrying on I shot Loc an eMail. 2 Days later a box was at my door with a shiny new tube. The fin issue I could have worked around and actually already had a plan in place. The only thing missing was execution of said plan. This will be a huge time saver on my end. Loc Rocks!

20180724_075553 (1).jpg Once I got my computer running again and could use O.R. I played a bit with sims/mass objects/motor combos and discovered that with all the mass I'm adding up front with the av bay, main,harness and whatnot that I could mod the stock/short tab fins and still be plenty stable. Burying them an additional 3/8" at the root only shifted the CP forward .631" so even with 7 G75's I would still have close to 1.5 calibers stability. These pics are just for reference since they're not real world weights and numbers, just an RKT. file I found on rocket reviews and modded using some actual weights and approximations. After I complete the whole mess I'll create and accurate file and post it then. For some reason the file I found on Rocket Reviews did not accurately reflect the actual kit. 20180724_075847.jpg 20180724_075517.jpg

Last edited:
I need to acquire some material for conduit(s) and decide on what to use for my Y harness. Until I do.....We'll let's just see what I can come up with...

And this "was" my plan for the shorty fin tabs but since Loc stepped up to the plate I can spend my time on other necessities. Now I'll have the option of flying even bigger motors without having to add nose weight. Got a very nice eMail from Dave letting me know they're getting ready to ship my updated fins and asking if there's anything else I need as long as shipping was inevitable. He also informed me that they are in the process of updating current stock so this won't be a problem in the future. 20180724_090145 (1).jpg How cool is that...

My rule of thumb is 50 G's load for rockets less than 4" and 100 G's load over that diameter.
I thought those numbers were suspect. Either your rockets are impossibly light, or your hardware incredibly heavy...20180724_121254.jpg 20180724_121122.jpg

Back