Loc paper tube and K motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
Hello I tried to look this up but didn't see any thing . Could a 4 inch loc air frame handle a 54mm k. Not taking hitting mach or anything 1/4 inch fins nothing crazy though the wall . Or just glass them , these are 2 lb rockets let me know

Hello I tried to look this up but didn't see any thing . Could a 4 inch loc air frame handle a 54mm k. Not taking hitting mach or anything 1/4 inch fins nothing crazy though the wall . Or just glass them , these are 2 lb rockets let me know

I think you will have a hard time NOT breaking Mach with a 2lb bird

OK edit estimate weight no electronics or chute and harness . Once I figure if needed glass then I can sim. Most likely I answered my own question. I will glass just to be on the safe side, don't see any 4 inch kits rated to a k just j so I will do that . The thread may be coming on is here now .

Entirely depends on the k. I've flown their absolutely stock 5.5 kits on a K1000. also put a k2045 in a mini magg....a more mild k in 4 inch shouldn't be a problem.

No glass needed. LOC tubes are plenty strong enough to handle a K. Are you scratch building or have a kit?

Edit: Just saw your Colossus Goblin thread so betting this question is related to that. Good luck with the build.

Last edited:
Yes the colossus and the stiletto are 4 inch well the stiletto has a transition to 2.7

Fin flutter at that speed is more a concern than the structural load on the tube compression-wise. Thru the wall and fillets will survive just fine. I'd work up to or just avoid the shotgun motors on that bird unless you glass.

I have a Rocket R&D Iris. 4" paper. I have successfully flown on an Aerotech K1100. Paper can take alot

Back