LOC Onyx to ToobOnyx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcderek

Free Flight Rocketeer
Reaction score
One of the first mid power kits I built was the LOC Onyx sometime around 2005-6? I had many fun flights with it until one of the fins broke off on landing. I repaired it but the fins kept cracking. The rocket ended up in the box of 'someday'. After a move last year I ran into it again as I was organizing all of my rocketry stuff. I decided it would be a perfect candidate for conversion to tube fins. And it turns out that Larry Brand published an article in Sport Rocketry on building the Onyx as a tube rocketry. Here is the reference:

LOC Onyx Converting a Great Mid-power Rocket Kit to Tubefins.
Author: Brand, Larry Source: SR; Mar/Apr, 2006, Vol.48, No 2 , page 3

I've posted a few pictures of the conversion in other threads. I decided to dedicate a thread to this project because it has grown in scope.
Here is my Onyx on the was with a Smokey Sam or similar motor.

IDNSlHKl.jpg

The Onyx with fins removed and initial tube fins ready for beveling.

uLeL5COl.jpg

One of the changes is to add positive motor retention. The original was friction fit and there isn'e enough exposed motor tube to use a retainer.

w0V4WXql.jpg

After input on this site and FB I decided to add retention clips.

nQhpN6Ol.jpg

Six beveled tube fins ready for attachment. Once glued to the rocket I'll reinforce the leading and trailing edges with watercolor paper tape.

VGE3Z9al.jpg

Time to attach the fins:

4xvNmDEl.jpg

I love how body diameter tube fins jig themselves. I hope to have a flyable rocket for Saturday's TriCities Rocketeers launch. It's a bit to cold to paint in the garage so it will be one ugly rocket!

Tube fins are attached. Still to cold to paint so the Ugly ToobOnyx will fly tomorrow so it can earn matching colors. :)

Wv23Rtd.jpg

yQq2VORl.jpg

A few more modifications to the nose cone are planned so that it can hold a 29mm CTI 6 grain case. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

The ugly bird flew nicely today on a F67. Looks like it's earned a new coat of paint! Fun times at the sod farm!

Back