LOC Mini Missiles: Big Nuke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
I was pretty thrilled when LOC announced the release of 6 'Mini' versions of their popular high power kits a while back..I save up my nickles and then ordered the 6 pack..When it got here I was immediately impressed by the packaging..Clear plastic clam shell and very cool artwork..

So anyway, I decide on doing the Big Nuke first, as I have the HPR kit in the kit room..Figured I would build the small one first and then tackle the monster one..LOL..

Picture 1: Parts layout..High quality parts..Cool stickers..

Picture 2: Build starts by building the motor mount..Standard fair here..Here it is finished..

Picture 3: Next the fins go on..and the launch lug..lol..The 'payload' bay is then built next by gluing the bulkhead into the bottom of the coupler, threading the screw eye in and gluing in place then gluing the nosecone on and then gluing the coupler halfway into the payload tube..

Picture 4: Here is the Mini Big Nuke in the full stack..Gives me an idea on what to expect when I get around to tackling its 6' tall brother..LOL

All in all a very enjoyable build..Instructions are a little sparse but complete at the same time.A total novice could pick up this kit and assemble it with no big difficulties right away..Great little rocket and I can't wait to shoot it up into the sky! Good job Barry and folk at LOC!;)

LOC Mini Big Nuke 001.jpg

LOC Mini Big Nuke 002.jpg

LOC Mini Big Nuke 004.jpg

LOC Mini Big Nuke 007.jpg

Very cool. The stickers look great too.

I didn't realize this model had a real functional payload section.

Well, a 'sort of' payload section..LOL..If built by the instructions you can't put anything in there as the coupler and nose cone are glued in place..Now, I guess you could forego gluing the NC on and be able to use it as a 'payload bay'..

Well, a 'sort of' payload section..LOL..If built by the instructions you can't put anything in there as the coupler and nose cone are glued in place..Now, I guess you could forego gluing the NC on and be able to use it as a 'payload bay'..

Gotcha ..... looking forward to seeing the finished model with the decals.

Wow. This is the first I seen of what one of these kits looks like. I am still waiting for my set, but I am in no hurry :p. Those are some awesome looking instructions.

Well, had a bit of time on my hands today and feeling kind of 'creative' I painted my Mini Missile Big Nuke! :D

Was originally going to mimic the face card as much as I could, but ended up straying a little..LOL..First I couldn't find the 'right' kind of purple for the fins, so I instead went with Burgundy..The yellow on the nose cone was originally going to be florescent, but had bad paint reaction with the florescent so had to sand it off and go with the plain Jane yellow..The body tube on the face card is black..I went to grab the black paint and had to move a can..Hmmmm, Metallic Blue- man, that is a nice color, bet IT would look awesome..So, that is what I used on the body tube!LOL

Waited for the paint to dry and then put on the stickers..Then outside to get some pictures..Sorry they aren't as fancy as Leo's- I just didn't feel like throwing the rocket up in the air like 30 times to get a couple of 'okay' pictures and probably breaking a fin off in the process!..LOL

LOC Mini Big Nuke 008a.jpg

LOC Mini Big Nuke 009.jpg

LOC Mini Big Nuke 010.jpg

Back