The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A long over due update:
I picked up an Egg Timer Rocketry Proton from a fellow TRF member.
It will be used in the booster for air-starts only.
I cut the booster tube 5-6" above the fins. I also extended the motor tube 8-10" to be able the fit those 54 mm x 2550 loads. The tube I had on hand at the time was about 19" or so.
It will also allow me to mount a board on the core motor tube for the Proton to sit.
The upper CR has been glued into the airframe alon with the coupler that connect the upper booster and fin can together. Held in place with machine screws.
No pics right now, I get some up once I start mounting the electroncs.

Check the firmware on your Proton, you will definitely want to download the latest version... it adds airstart triggering on burnouts, up to six of them. That plus the clustering function should help simplify your igniter wiring somewhat because you can connect one igniter per output, you don't have to twist them together.

Check the firmware on your Proton, you will definitely want to download the latest version... it adds airstart triggering on burnouts, up to six of them. That plus the clustering function should help simplify your igniter wiring somewhat because you can connect one igniter per output, you don't have to twist them together.
Yes I saw that. It's kind of hard to go against tradition ;)
It can handle firing multiple channels at once?
I plan on using one 2S 1000 Mah battery.

Yes, see the description of the Clustered mode on page 21 of the Eggtimer Proton User's Guide. When you cluster to the Airstart channel, both igniters have to have continuity for the channel to fire, so if one of them loses continuity it won't fire either one of them. Both channels fire simultaneously, so you need to have enough current available to fire all of the clustered igniters.

The way I'm use to doing Air-starts: wire a pair of motors in parallel for a single channel.
For this rocket, I want to do either; Air-start 1 pair followed by 4 motors , or 3 sets of 2, or possibly 2 sets of 3 motors.
It would have been nice if those terminal blocks were a tad larger and the channel number facing you ( they are all facing inwards towards the center of the board).

Well, I was able to get it finished for flight this weekend and flew it today!
I'll have some flight pics, once I download them from my DSLR on my other computer.
This 9 year old computer doesn't play nice with newer Canon software.

I flew it on a EX J 650 ish Blue followed by a pair of AT DMS H 115 DM.
It weighed 18.6 lbs loaded with everything.

I had allot of field prep due to last minute things I had to finish up.
Out at the pad; the Proton had trouble accepting the arm code.
I had to input it at least 6 times before it took.
I think that Android auto fill was preventing it from working.

It turned out to be a perfect flight to 3,016 ft, beeped out by the Proton in the booster.
I haven't gotten to the data from the MARSA 33 yet.... which handled recovery duties.
Karm filter apogee and 700 ft main.
The air-starts were set at 1.2 sec from LDA on Channel 3 and channel 6 was set for cluster with channel 3.

I also had a Com-Spec tracker onboard. It saved allot of time walking in the 3 ft high Soybean crops.

The data between the MARSA 33 and Proton almost exactly the same; 3,016 ft vs 3,020 ft from the MARSA 33. 7.9 g from the Proton vs 8.1 MARSA.

LDA was used 300 ft detect with 1.1 sec delay.
It fired 2 motors at 1.92 sec. It worked out just about burnout of the core motor.

Magnum629ssKflt2.JPG
Picture above is from it's second flight; 1 core AMW K 475 WW air-starting 2 x AT H 115 DM.
3,436 ft altitude. The bottom pic is of my setup on how I mounted the Proton on to the core motor tube. a plate that is screwed to another G10 plate that is glued to the motor tube.

ProtonmountMagnum.JPG

The rocket has flown 2 times but, still unpainted. My Proton's battery connector broke so it sit for a bit.

Pictures from 2 flights from last weekend. J 505 Blue and a Oldie but a goodie; AMW K555 Skid .

Attachments

• MagnumClusterK.JPG
    MagnumClusterK.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 30
  • MagnumXlK555Sk.JPG
    MagnumXlK555Sk.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 28
My Motoreater design, flying since 1990, has a central 54 and 8 29 mm outboards. Designed when Thermalite was available, it used fuses to light the outboards. Skylighter currently has unregulated fuse on sale https://www.skylighter.com/collections/firework-fuse It does not speed up when sheathed so you need to get the speed you need. I find the 4-5 sec/ft and the yellow 1-2 sec/ft most useful. A couple extra L shaped pieces over the top grain when assembling the motor Makes sure the motor lights.
I did have a Magnum with the same mods, 54 surrounded by 6 29's lit the same way.

Back