LOC Magnum 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocwizard

Reaction score
Today was a goooood day! The UPS guy came right up the street bearing goodies :cool: A modified Magnum 3 to be exact :D

While i started a thread a while back about my Dad and I doing an upscale Matrix for L3. Plans have since changed, we have other plans for that one....:D :D

So, anyways, a Magnum was chosen, for a couple reasons 1) we wanted something that could be flown on Ks through Ns. 2) The Magnum has been a staple of HPR out here at ROC for many years now. 3) Its a Magnum, need i say more?:cool:

So, then it came down to what we wanted changed to the kit. First, the 75mm mount was replaced with a 98mm mount ( i guess its really a Magnum 4 ;) ) extra rings were also ordered. The 24" payload was lengthened to 30" for more main chute space. Finally an additonal 17" long 5.5" payload bay was added on. The bulkhead from this bay will be taken and used on the electronics bay. that leaves a coupler and 17" long tube. This will be reinforced just as the other airframe tubes, and will act as an optional extender tube for the booster when we wish to fly a hypertek M or PPL N motor.

More to come later...

Eric,

How many times do I hafta tell you boy! You're insane!!!

But I guess this is your thinking:

"Happiness is in an M1939!"

:D :D :D

Jason

Wow! I love the Magnum. My Magnum just has a 54mm and two 29mm tube in the tail :(. Can't fit a L777 in that :(

but would you fly it on an L777?

Doug, why dont you make another fincan? since the fincan on yours detaches at such a low point

Originally posted by jetra2
Eric,

How many times do I hafta tell you boy! You're insane!!!

But I guess this is your thinking:

"Happiness is in an M1939!"

:D :D :D

Jason

Well, living out West and all, it has its effects on how people fly rockets out here.:D I guess you could call it Black ROC Disorder:kill:

The other cool thing is, my dad said he wants to fly an M1939 for the L3!!!! I like his thinking.

Hello 16,000 feet!

Doug

You Magnum will deserve an L777 after you glass it, so start building:D

All right! Finally something to burn up all my L630s in! :D

Keep us posted Eric. Hopefully you'll build it faster than I'm building the fins for our other rockets... :) I wanna see it out at Lucerne soon... let me know and I'll bring along a K777!

Sounds like a plan David! We are going to get all the documentation together asap so we can start working with our TAPs and get working on this thing. Now if only my teachers will let up a bit on the homework :mad:

Hey, Spring Break is only 3 weeks away! :D Should be able to get some good stuff done then.

After being very patient, i FINALLY got my dad out into the garage to do some building. Some good progress was made. The Glassine was peeled off the airframes. CA was then painted onto the tube ends to prevent dings until they're glassed. The Kevlar Sock was cut to length for each of the tubes. Those will be laminated this weekend hopefully. The fins and nosecone were thoroughly sanded with 60 grit and a hacksaw blade to make for better adhesion of epoxy/paint respectively. Finally, a test fit was done to the fin can by assembling all the L-brackets. It is very sturdy as is, and it hasn't had a drop of epoxy applied!. We fully expect this thing to take PPL's rudest N motors:D

Now for the pics...

BTW, the name picked for it is Strawberry Alarmclock (My dad is an oldies fan FYI):rolleyes: ;)

Tubes peeled:

hahah I dont think he is gonna pay that much when he can get one from someone who pours LOL

I like it, it looks real tough, doug you better put some glass on your magnum if you wanna keep up ;)

Originally posted by Ryan S.
hahah I dont think he is gonna pay that much when he can get one from someone who pours LOL

I like it, it looks real tough, doug you better put some glass on your magnum if you wanna keep up ;)

LOL

Yeah, i am really liking the idea of mixing up an N6000 green for it when it is built:D

Doug -- I've got a trimodal GREEN formula that will rip fins off rockets. I dare ya to an N motor drag race, when AMW gets a green propellant load for the N case, we're on at Black Rock :D

But in the meantime, our Blue Devil propellant will have to suffice... it still calculates out to a FULL N4600 equivalent, about a 4.5 second burn, over 1100 lbs of initial thrust... we'll have to see how the test motors go :p

Eric,
I'm thinking of a Magnum 3, any advice? Pics? How did this go?
Thanks!

I am working on my Magnum with 54mm and 4 twenty nines with extra fin. I am going to glass fins and tubes. Check out aft end.

https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/mark7mm/IMG_0014.jpg

Keep up the good work Eric, keep us posted.
"N" Awesome, have any outboards to go with it?

Mark

Wow! I love the Magnum. My Magnum just has a 54mm and two 29mm tube in the tail :(. Can't fit a L777 in that :(

I've been thinking about building a magnum but stock length and try not to strech it. But instead of having a 54mm and two 29mm motors mounts, I would put a 98mm motor mount in. But still up in the air.

Back