Loc Magnum 3"-29

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How close is the graduator to this? I realize te diameter is bigger, but thought the graduator was a smaller magnum. I never checked if the fins are the same.

Hey Kevin!

They're definitely close! I had a Graduator to compare, but it unfortunately performed a no-eject nosedive onto asphalt and is no more! However, I will say that the 3" Magnum feels a lot like a slightly larger Graduator with newly designed internals and a cluster mount!!!

Finishing up!

Last update, we painted the 3" Mag on a relatively mild winter day. Next up, some detailing. Most often I turn to Mark at Stickershock for vinyl, but he was on hiatus and my bigger Magnum had hand cut trim. So, out comes the X-acto, scissors, and printer paper!

I miss Mark; so happy to have him back!!!

Apply stickers n' such to the 3" Magnum. Add the recovery harness. With pre-sewn loops, I simply looped through and pulled for the attachment to the booster (top of baffle), used a quicklink to connect the free loop to the nose cone harness, and made a figure-eight knot 2/3 of the way to the cone for the chute attachment...another loop and pull through to attach the chute.

...and the end result:

31805502157_5b2b912b6f_c.jpg

The scheme might look familiar if you hang out at Bong, Princeton, or Three Oaks, or Ash Grove. Striking resemblance to big brother; "standard" 5.54" diameter Loc Magnum. Except had to change the red used for the nose and tail...didn't care for the Duplicolor red used on big brother....

What's better than a 3" Magnum? A 3" and a 5.5" Magnum!

46747115771_69679bdc3b_c.jpg

What's better than a 3" and 5.5" Magnum? A whole fleet of Magnums!!! (Loc Park Flyer 1.64" and Loc 1" as well).

46747106741_433f3cb35d_c.jpg

First flight is tentatively on (3) Estes E16's for a gentle start. Then onto (3) G's for more excitement. After that, who knows?!!?:D

VERY NICE!!!!

no doubt this is near the top of my 2019 project list. you really have me thinking about keeping it a cluster rocket. perhaps this is my first real venture into the world of clustering. 3 F-27's might be a cool flight, and 3 G-74's would rock!

do you have a sim for the 3 E-16's? curious as to how that would preform with them having such low initial thrust

I'm currently building my 3" Magnum. I noticed that the fins never actually touch the motor tubes. So I decided to go ahead and do thick fillets in hopes that will keep the fins on.

I'm currently building my 3" Magnum. I noticed that the fins never actually touch the motor tubes. So I decided to go ahead and do thick fillets in hopes that will keep the fins on.
Which motor configuration do you have? Mine was 3x29mm. I already destroyed it on 3x H115DM motors. But it flew great on 3xG72DM motors. On the H115DM motors I ripped a fin out shortly after leaving the pad. I guess it was too much. But it was my building technique. Thick fillets from the fins to the motor tubes (or between the motor tubes if the fin tabs are deep enough) only provide tension strength, which is weak. If you want the fins to stay in, put fillets on the inside of the body tube where the fins enter. This provides compression strength, which is strong. Any fins I've ever seen come out didn't have fillets on the inside of the body tube.
And you could also contact LOC about the fin tab depth. They will tell you how to make it work or replace the fins.

Which motor configuration do you have? Mine was 3x29mm. I already destroyed it on 3x H115DM motors. But it flew great on 3xG72DM motors. On the H115DM motors I ripped a fin out shortly after leaving the pad. I guess it was too much. But it was my building technique. Thick fillets from the fins to the motor tubes (or between the motor tubes if the fin tabs are deep enough) only provide tension strength, which is weak. If you want the fins to stay in, put fillets on the inside of the body tube where the fins enter. This provides compression strength, which is strong. Any fins I've ever seen come out didn't have fillets on the inside of the body tube.
And you could also contact LOC about the fin tab depth. They will tell you how to make it work or replace thfinshave
I have many Magnum's. I have the 18mm, 29mm, the 3x29mm, the 54mm, and the 75mm. The one I'm talking about here is the 3x29mm. I don't plan on putting Hs in mine. Even if the tabs were long enough the motor tube don't touch to seat the fins like say the Viper III, Viper IV.

Back