LOC Lil-Nuke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Does anyone know where I can get a.ORK file for open rocket software for the LOC lil-Nuke

I just got a Lil Nuke kit. Very nice materials, body tube, CRs and fins are well constructed. I'm curious to hear from other people who have built or are building this kit as well as flying experience.

I just got a Lil Nuke kit. Very nice materials, body tube, CRs and fins are well constructed. I'm curious to hear from other people who have built or are building this kit as well as flying experience.
I have this kit and if you build it well (good techniques mostly) you can put some big motors in this. I have personally flown up to a G80 in the stock kit! (Could go bigger)
Great kit-update the chute a bit bigger maybe-falls a bit fast but probably wont break :rolleyes: In my experience. Nice kit!

For a rocket this size, it is the most durable kit I have ever had. I'm going to try to paint it as it appears on the package. Sticker Shock sells the decals for $6.95.

I did some simulations on Open Rocket. On a single use Aerotech E30 it will go to 860 feet. We have small fields in southern New England but if I go to NARAM 62 I can go with something bigger. Plus I have a Chute Release.

How did you paint yours? Any photos?

Sure! Most everyone here loves to show their own work :) I used mostly black but i hand drew the radiation symbol on the back of a sandpaper pack (cardstock) exacto’d and voila! Stencil. I use the old fashioned symbol colors to be a little more retroish and the chameleon vinyl is an automotive vinyl I found. The original lil nuke color was a darkish purple metallic in the mid 90’s if I remember right.

I didnt use a motor retainer and should have-remember this when mounting the motor tube if you do. Friction fitting motors with tape is a:mad::D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 63
Very nice paint job and radiation symbol. Most likely I will get an Aero Pack engine retainer and perhaps the 24-29mm adapter. The only other modification I will make is to use rail buttons instead of launch lugs. Loc has stepped up some of their kits. Better shock cords, eye hooks, through the wall fins.

Very nice paint job and radiation symbol. Most likely I will get an Aero Pack engine retainer and perhaps the 24-29mm adapter. The only other modification I will make is to use rail buttons instead of launch lugs. Loc has stepped up some of their kits. Better shock cords, eye hooks, through the wall fins.
Yes the kits are much nicer now!

Ever since I found out from Kurirns post that Open Rocket can load Rocksim files, I have been using Open Rocket to get an idea of what motors to use for the Lil Nuke and a couple of other Loc kits I have.

Ever since I found out from Kurirns post that Open Rocket can load Rocksim files, I have been using Open Rocket to get an idea of what motors to use for the Lil Nuke and a couple of other Loc kits I have.
Thrust curve can help with that as well but I am a sucker for cad stuff so I use rocksim and get awesome results-open rocket has equivalencies i hear

Thrust curve can help with that as well but I am a sucker for cad stuff so I use rocksim and get awesome results-open rocket has equivalencies i hear
A lot of the college teams use Open Rocket. In addition to being free, I have received feed back from some of the students that they simply like it better. I recently downloaded the trial version of Rocksim. What I like about it is the animation feature. I did use Thrust Curve to select a motor for my L1 flight. We are fortunate to have these resources available to us.

Yes, I see a few teams at our launches and their flights are based on open rocket I believe. The 2D flight in rocksim is very important to me looking for instability in the flights. It prevents mishaps quite well when weather, wind, humidity and launch angle are accounted for. I finally paid for the basic version of rocksim and it has paid for itself in safe flights 100%. I do have trouble loading motors into the program that didn't exist before though.

With the free trial version, the animation stops when the rocket reaches apogee. With the licensed version does the animation show that you have a problem if the ejection delay is to0 late or too early?

Yes. In a nutshell-your result does too-the arrows on the green chute in the simulation summary indicate where it was on its way up or down when the motor ejection occured. No arrow indicates a “perfect flight”. Usually a 1.5 second or less delay before or after apogee i think. The paid version gives you everything obviously. It is a bit expensive but if you go in on it with a friend it can be installed on 2 or 3 machines (computers) I think

Back