LOC IV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Morgan

Reaction score
I started the LOC IV kit the other day. Purchased from Heavenly Hobbies. Thanks Jose!
I suppose the LOC IV could be high power too but since I plan to fly the rocket mostly
on mid power I'll post the build here.
I'm making a tail cone for the kit with hopes it will take allot of the stress off the fins when landing.
I plan to wrap the tail cone with nomex cloth and epoxy.
LOC IV kit cards.jpg LOC IV tail cone.jpg

More pics and descriptions to come.

Thank you Paul! Thank you Rocket Forum guys. You guys make building rockets a little easier for us rookies.

JP

Last edited:
I used Open Rocket software for the "transition pattern" on the tail cone.
Plastic was used for the transition and a paper tube cut off to plug into the body.
Almost ready to cover.
LOC IV tail cone installed 1.jpg LOC IV tail cone installed 2.jpg

JP

Last edited:
Are you extending the motor mount to the end of the your tail cone? If not, it may affect the thrust you get from you motor. I know that others have reported fin problems, but I never had damage to the fins on my LOC IV. If you ensure that the fins are epoxied internally to the motor mount it should be strong enough. I wouldn't bother with the tail cone.

Are you extending the motor mount to the end of the your tail cone? If not, it may affect the thrust you get from you motor. I know that others have reported fin problems, but I never had damage to the fins on my LOC IV. If you ensure that the fins are epoxied internally to the motor mount it should be strong enough. I wouldn't bother with the tail cone.
I didn't plan to extend the MMT. After looking at the G Force kit and it's application of the MMT inside the body I shouldn't be too concerned, I hope.
After building the Polecat Bull Pup I guess I got a thing for tail cones ya know.
Using the 29mm adaptor will put the motor a little closer to the end.
I suppose I can come back later and extend the MMT if I need to.
Thank you for your comments DaveHein.

JP

Yes, the G Force motor is recessed quite a bit. Your LOC IV tail cone is probably OK, but you might want to look up the Krushnic effect.

OK, I've given it some thought and I'll add a few inches to the 38 mm MMT in order to place it at end of the tail cone.
I'll have to cut another centering ring, no big deal since I found my Dremel Circle Cutter, that thing is a wiz on circles!
Bull Line 1,250.jpg
LOC IV adaptor removal of glassine.jpg Prep work on motor adaptor, the removal of the glassine for epoxy.

JP

Attachments

• LOC IV adaptor installed in MMT.jpg
    LOC IV adaptor installed in MMT.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
LOC IV is the workhorse of my fleet. Good Level 1 rocket and can fly on mid power motors for smaller fields. The fins can take quite a beating on landing, as they hang below the aft section of the rocket. If I remember correctly, the fins do not bond to the motor mount tube, but have a small tab for "thru the wall" mounting.
Good luck with the build.

Bob
TRA6797

I understand the original LOC IV had small fin tabs and a 29mm motor mount. LOC changed this several years ago and they now ship the LOC IV kit with a 38mm motor mount and fins that extend to the motor mount. The fin problem was probably with the earlier version of the kit.

Fin Tabs, to the MMT. This was a much needed improvement!
LOC IV fin tabs.jpg

JP

Last edited:
Fin Tabs, to the MMT. This was a much needed improvement!
View attachment 116751

JP

I have one of the originals with 29mm mount. It survived Vulcan G-200's and H220 Blue Thunder motors..(and my favorite H-100ss Vulcan)
JP..I think your decision to make a centering ring down to the end of the cone is wise...The Krusnik effect is brutal..Fire On The Pad!

Forgive this Rant and don't stick your 29mm motor 5" out the arse end of the 38mm adapter ...Yes flyers you saw this. If I ever was an RSO, I would send someone back with the motor they stuck their wife or GF with..sticking 5" out the end....Bad news.

Last edited:
OK, I've given it some thought and I'll add a few inches to the 38 mm MMT in order to place it at end of the tail cone.
I'll have to cut another centering ring, no big deal since I found my Dremel Circle Cutter, that thing is a wiz on circles!
Does anybody have a short piece of LOC MMT in 38mm=(1.52") .055 thickness, at 2-3" in length? I could trade somebody a length of Bull Line.
It's 1/2" wide and rated at 1,250 tensil strength, plenty good for shock cord.

View attachment 116740

View attachment 116738 Prep work on motor adaptor, the removal of the glassine for epoxy.

JP

I have some LOC 38mm MMT tubing I can send ya, just shoot me a pm to where...

I have one of the originals with 29mm mount. It survived Vulcan G-200's and H220 Blue Thunder motors..(and my favorite H-100ss Vulcan)
JP..I think your decision to make a centering ring down to the end of the cone is wise...The Krusnik effect is brutal..Fire On The Pad!

Forgive this Rant and don't stick your 29mm motor 5" out the arse end of the 38mm adapter ...Yes flyers you saw this. If I ever was an RSO, I would send someone back with the motor they stuck their wife or GF with..sticking 5" out the end....Bad news.
I built the adaptor I think according to plans. The 29mm tube extends beyond the 38mm part 7/16". Does this sound correct?
Picture above...

Spooks and I are going to trade for the MMT and Bull Line.

JP

Last edited:
JP, Where did you get that clear plastic cone from?
It was a sheet of plastic I had on hand. Using Open Rocket "transition" and a template I cut it out
and CA'd it together and then onto the paper ring cut to fit in side the 4" tube. I tried different card stock
and all of it warped at some point in the turn. The plastic did the best. I wished it was a little thicker but it
will do, especially after I install another centering ring on the end. I glassed the inside of the tail cone, the
nomex didn't soak up the epoxy well at all.

JP

Spooks is gonna hook me up with a piece of 38mm MMT.
Another great guy!

JP

Last edited:
I understand the original LOC IV had small fin tabs and a 29mm motor mount. LOC changed this several years ago and they now ship the LOC IV kit with a 38mm motor mount and fins that extend to the motor mount. The fin problem was probably with the earlier version of the kit.[/QUOTE]

Dave,
your right, I built mine back in the early 90's and now remember replacing the 29mm motor mount with a 38mm. I lost count of the number of flights after 20...

Bob
TRA6797

Metalic Silver nose cone...
LOC IV nose cone 1.jpg LOC IV nose cone metalic silver.jpg
This nose is going to shine like a beacon when the sun hits it! This is the Rust-Oleum
for metal and plastic wheels, with a clear coat on top of that.
I used a self etching primer for the nose cone, also by Rust-Oleum. Stuck to the nose cone
very well.

JP

Last edited:
Tail Cone centering ring glued in place.
LOC IV tail cone centering ring.jpg
You can also see the yellow material in this picture. That's the wood filler on top
of the epoxy and glass that didn't smooth out as slick as I wanted it, although most
of it won't be seen, I just had to touch it up ya know.

JP

Last edited:
I had a LOC-V in my fleet, I launched it every chance I got, I mostly flew it on H motors, and for some reason on the last launch the fin broke clean off at the body leaving the tab still attached to the motor tube, never saw this before and not sure why it did this, it was at a sod farm so no hard landings, on the next LOC-V kit that I get I will glass the body tube and do tip to tip fin glass as well

I had a LOC-V in my fleet, I launched it every chance I got, I mostly flew it on H motors, and for some reason on the last launch the fin broke clean off at the body leaving the tab still attached to the motor tube, never saw this before and not sure why it did this, it was at a sod farm so no hard landings, on the next LOC-V kit that I get I will glass the body tube and do tip to tip fin glass as well
I thought about glassing the body and the fins but I want to keep it light and use 29mm motors. Money is real tight at this time.
I will give it a good fillet job using the ProLine 4500 epoxy system.

JP

Light plywood found at Wally World for the extra centering ring shown in the tail cone. Only 97 cents each.
Sorry if you go to the one here in Oxford, I bought them all yesterday.
7 inch plywood disc.jpg
I use the Dremel circle cutter for the outside cut and drilled multiple holes up to the marked edge on the inside then
finished that with the little barrel sander.

JP

I really like how the tail cone looks.
It does add a bit of appeal. Maybe I'll get a few more FPS out of it!
Here's a shot of the body tube getting ready to glue the fins. I used a Dremel tool with the barrel sander attachment.
It went very fast using the rough grit.
LOC IV fin prep.jpg oops, forgot about the leading edge of fins.
LOC IV BT prep.jpg
LOC IV tail cone paint 2.jpg LOC IV tail cone paint.jpg
JP

Last edited:
Looking good! I really do like the looks of it with the tail cone. Changes the lines of the rocket. Any idea on the final color scheme?

Looking good! I really do like the looks of it with the tail cone. Changes the lines of the rocket. Any idea on the final color scheme?
Thanks quake.
The nose is finished. Metalic silver with clear coat. Tail section will be same, similar to LOC's card pic. Body will be gloss Black
and gloss silver decals similar to card with a few stripes similar to card pics. I was thinking about going over the black body part with a very light shot of metalic silver, just enough to make it sparkle, then a clear coat to hold decals.
Opinions welcome! You guys are the Pros.

JP

Here's one of the decals my buddy got made for me. It's metalic silver and should match the nose cone color well.
LOC IV decal.jpg

JP

Back