LOC IV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The LOC IV gets the tail cone glued on today. I may not do much in the way of fillets
on the fins since this one has them on the interior.
LOC IV gets it's tail.jpg LOC IV tail glued.jpg
With nose "finished" cone and 29mm adapter in place the "primed" LOC IV weighs 2 pounds right now.

JP

Last edited:
Agreed and add some integrity along with the overall appearance as well!

Agreed and add some integrity along with the overall appearance as well!
OK guys, you've talked me into it, but I don't like working with the Proline 4500. It's worse than green baby poop!:y:
I've gone to the trouble of making a tail cone, might as well proceed with integrity!
Thanks again Spooks for the piece of 38mm tubing!

If there is some one reading this thread and have discovered you need a short piece of 38mm motor tubing send me
a private message and I'll mail it to you, just like Spooks did for me! There is 11 1/2" in length left. This may be enough to send to two people!
JP

Last edited:
We pay it forward my friend, this is our hobby!!

Keep up the good work!!!

We pay it forward my friend, this is our hobby!!

Keep up the good work!!!
That's the idea and wording I was looking for. Thank you my friend.
I've since then purchased a full length of 38mm motor tubing. I sold an item,
but most of the money has to go to house payments :(.

JP

The sanding starts! Mostly around the fin area and tail cone. I dread the fillets...:sigh:
LOC IV sanding stages.jpg

JP

The sanding starts! Mostly around the fin area and tail cone. I dread the fillets...:sigh:

JP

Since they aren't needed for structural integrity I would just use any old thing to get a nice little radius in there. Maybe something like lightweight drywall spackle toughed up with CA. Just a thought.

Epoxy fillets are really easy. CJ has a great way of doing them. I'll post links to some of his threads later as I'm on my iPod right now.

Since they aren't needed for structural integrity I would just use any old thing to get a nice little radius in there. Maybe something like lightweight drywall spackle toughed up with CA. Just a thought.
That's got me thinking! I've got the spackle and or wood filler...

JP

Have you checked the Cg and Cp on your modified Loc-IV? Your modification reduces the margin slightly, but I think it should still be OK.

Have you checked the Cg and Cp on your modified Loc-IV? Your modification reduces the margin slightly, but I think it should still be OK.
No I haven't yet. I've got some of it's data pluged into Open Rocket.

JP

You may need to add some nose weight, but with the size of this rocket and what you have added it wouldn't be much...

You may need to add some nose weight, but with the size of this rocket and what you have added it wouldn't be much...
Roger that friend.
I'm thinking about making a velcro swing test harness for my rockets... making the inside with some sort of rubbery material
to grip it...

JP

Wish I had your post a day ago! I used wood filler. I got that Black Epoxy that everybody raves about
but it's a pain to deal with. On the other hand that Black stuff produces smooth results...
LOC IV Fillets using wood filler.jpg LOC IV fillets nearly done.jpg Almost got it smooth enough to call it done!

JP

I learned about the Titebond molding glue here on the forum early on. I've used it since.

That Elmers stuff I show in the pic that was used cracks and shrinks a little. I won't be using it again,
if I can help it.
I may go out shopping today for the Titebond Molding Glue.
I've still got plenty of the Proline 4500 and will get up the courage to use it again in the near future.
Thanks again for the ideas guys and your comments to the post.

JP

OK, I think I finally got the fillets to shape like I had in mind.
LOC IV fillets 2.jpg LOC IV fillets 1.jpg
This pic above is from the "rear",
for those hearing impared,
and shows the taper I was looking for...

Thanks for looking and thank you forum for your support.

JP

Last edited:
OK, I think I finally got the fillets to shape like I had in mind.
View attachment 121095 View attachment 121096
This pic above is from the "rear",
for those hearing impared,
and shows the taper I was looking for...

Thanks for looking and thank you forum for your support.

JP

Those fillets turned out really nice! I've never tried to get fillets that big with the molding glue.

Those fillets turned out really nice! I've never tried to get fillets that big with the molding glue.
I used a pill bottle to get the form, and of course taped both sides off. The pill bottle is 7/8" diameter. After
comparing it to the Bull Pup fillets they are bigger than those. I only had to fill cracks one time then CA'd the finished
product, then sanded smooth for priming.
LOC IV final primer.jpg If you zoom in you can see the cut/tapper at the ends.

JP

Last edited:
I used a pill bottle to get the form, and of course taped both sides off. The pill bottle is 7/8" diameter. After
comparing it to the Bull Pup fillets they are bigger than those. I only had to fill cracks one time then CA'd the finished
product, then sanded smooth for priming. If you zoom in you can see the cut/tapper at the ends.

JP

They sure look nice. I like how you tapered them.

Man that is nice and smooth!!

Easy now to fill in any "spots" you may notice, but it is looking great with that tail cone!

Thank you guys!
Maybe that taper at the rear edge will have some sort of aerodynamic effect! :drool:
I used the small launch tubing that came with the kit and CA'd sandpaper to it to get
the shape. I also found some aluminum tubing that came from a broken car washing
brush n pole from AutoZone to do allot of the sanding after I got the best shape for the fillets.
I tried the pill bottle with sand paper but it was too short and could leave divits ya know.

JP

Last edited:
Man that is nice and smooth!!

Easy now to fill in any "spots" you may notice, but it is looking great with that tail cone!
Yeah, did you spot the place where the tail cone meets the body tube. That's an easy fill! I thought
I had gotten them all!:cry:

JP

Back