LOC IV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things are looking great JP ,and that tailcone idea of yours is a very good one ,it makes it "your" rocket !!

Tailcones are cool !!

Paul T

Things are looking great JP ,and that tailcone idea of yours is a very good one ,it makes it "your" rocket !!

Tailcones are cool !!

Paul T

Thank you my Friend!
Check out the Bullpup pics when you get the chance!
JP

I like that tail cone, Im gonna put one on my scratch build I'm gonna start soon. Any tips to doing it? I'm not sure how I want to make it, or if I can buy one. Id rather try to make my own first, then if I fail ill buy. Good work on the build so far.

I like that tail cone, Im gonna put one on my scratch build I'm gonna start soon. Any tips to doing it? I'm not sure how I want to make it, or if I can buy one. Id rather try to make my own first, then if I fail ill buy. Good work on the build so far.
I used open rocket to print the transition then cut it out of plastic, thicker is better. I cut a small "scab" of plastic and CA'd it on the inside. Glued it to a paper tube cut to fit inside of body tube with CA also.
I glassed the inside for strength and heat proof, I hope. I left the outside alone for a smooth paint finish.

Print out different sizes using Open Rocket until you are satisfied. This one is 4" diameter at the body, 1 3/4" length, and 3 1/4" diameter at the tail.

Here's one site that has tail cones and boat tails if you want to just buy one.
https://www.publicmissiles.com/secure/components.asp?groupid=11

JP

Last edited:
Can't wait to see her finished!!
Thank you Spooks! I got the MMT today and after a few minutes the extension is glued together.
LOC IV 38mm extension for tail cone.jpg
I've got some swivels on order for the shock cord section inside the tube. I'm using KEVLAR that Paul sent me
and will make 2 loops with 4 holes in the top centering ring with a swivel connecting the 2 pieces there.
Picture to come on that but I've seen other guys use this method and it makes perfect sence to me...

JP

LOC IV MMT KEVLAR shock cord system.jpg
KEVLAR from Paul and the MMT extension from Spooks.
And my newest inside toy; see the chopper from Wally World. That thing is a blast! 4 axis control too!
*Tip: if you decide to get one for yourself it has a "test me" button on the front. I tested 7 before I settled
on this one. I checked them for vibration. I got a few weird looks from some youngsters while doing so!:surprised:

JP

That is looking really good, JP!
Thank you my friend.
I can hardly wait to paint it!
Have I shown you guys the decals yet? Yeah I did, first page.:facepalm: I've got some metalic silver pin stripes to go along with it too.
It will look similar to the stock version from LOC, as far as the decals go, but it's going to have a few guys take a second look when they notice the tail cone added!

JP

Last edited:
Thank you my friend.
I can hardly wait to paint it!
Have I shown you guys the decals yet? Yeah I did, first page.:facepalm: I've got some metalic silver pin stripes to go along with it too.
It will look similar to the stock version from LOC, as far as the decals go, but it's going to have a few guys take a second look when they notice the tail cone added!

JP

Yeah, you're going to turn some heads with that tail cone. Hurry up and get it finished!

I'm not sure if the extra length of 29mm tube sticking out of the adapter is needed.
LOC IV 29mm adapter.jpg
I'll fabricate a few clips of the sort to hold the motor in place. Undecided at this point
of the design but I don't think I'll need the extra bit of 29mm (white) tubing sticking out of the adapter.
What do you guys think? Cut it or leave it?

JP

I'm not sure if the extra length of 29mm tube sticking out of the adapter is needed.
View attachment 119884
I'll fabricate a few clips of the sort to hold the motor in place. Undecided at this point
of the design but I don't think I'll need the extra bit of 29mm (white) tubing sticking out of the adapter.
What do you guys think? Cut it or leave it?

JP

I trimmed mine flush.

I trimmed mine flush.
Thank you quake!:cheers: Right on time too. I'm between charges on the chopper!
I'm not sure why but that's the way the constructions said to put it together!
Trim it flush it will be!

JP

Rail Button block. Trimed the "fat".
LOC IV rail button block.jpg
I should get the swivels this week, maybe tomorrow, then I can finish
the top side of the centering ring-KEVLAR-to shock cord mount.

JP

Thank you quake!:cheers: Right on time too. I'm between charges on the chopper!
I'm not sure why but that's the way the constructions said to put it together!
Trim it flush it will be!

JP

I'm assuming the reason they tell you to do it like that is in case you use masking tape for retention. So you can wrap the tape around the tube and the motor's thrust ring. But I make retention plates to use with my adapters. They work very well.

P1020499.JPG

P1020500.JPG

retainer8.jpg

retainer9.jpg

retainer11.jpg

I'm assuming the reason they tell you to do it like that is in case you use masking tape for retention. So you can wrap the tape around the tube and the motor's thrust ring. But I make retention plates to use with my adapters. They work very well.
Ohh yeah, that's Sweet!
I feel like I know you and a few others, now that I've been following your works.
That is exactly what I'll do for the LOC IV.
I picked up some aluminum the other day from ACE but I think it's going
to be too thin.
I'll have to install the hardware into the centering ring on the tail cone today. I thought about 3 screws but maybe I'll
just do 2 and not make it any harder on myself than I have to!
Thank you quake! Those are very good pics too!

JP

29mm adapter cut flush...
LOC IV 29mm adapter flush cut.jpg
LOC IV motor fastener.jpg One way of doing it.

JP

Last edited:
Here's a shot of the Swivel and Quick Connect with the KEVLAR shock cords.
The swivel is rated at 900 lbs and the QC is rated at 660 lbs
LOC IV 900 swivel 660 Q Link.jpg

Opinions welcome, before I tie the knots.

JP

Ohh yeah, that's Sweet!
I feel like I know you and a few others, now that I've been following your works.
That is exactly what I'll do for the LOC IV.
I picked up some aluminum the other day from ACE but I think it's going
to be too thin.
I'll have to install the hardware into the centering ring on the tail cone today. I thought about 3 screws but maybe I'll
just do 2 and not make it any harder on myself than I have to!
Thank you quake! Those are very good pics too!

JP

I use 1/16" x 1-1/4" aluminum for mine.

It's a 3/16". I was even considering going the next size smaller for the quick link at 220 lb 1/8" but keep the swivel.

JP

If it were me, I'd keep the 3/16. I only use 1/8" links on smaller, 3" or less rockets.

Here's a shot of the Swivel and Quick Connect with the KEVLAR shock cords.
The swivel is rated at 900 lbs and the QC is rated at 660 lbs
View attachment 120012

Opinions welcome, before I tie the knots.

JP

I see you tied the knots already. Wish I had seen this before.

I would highly suggest some way to change out the swivel.

YMMV, but I used one like the one you have there, once, it only lasted one flight. I only use the stainless steel ball bearing swivels now. The ones like you have there just don't seem to hold up to the shock of deployment. They deform and stop swiveling.

YMMV, but I used one like the one you have there, once, it only lasted one flight. I only use the stainless steel ball bearing swivels now. The ones like you have there just don't seem to hold up to the shock of deployment. They deform and stop swiveling.
Well Foot! I guess if it starts to deform I'll cut it off and maybe use the quick link on the KEVLAR with the ball bearing above that.

JP

Progress pics. Epoxy was placed on each fin and the motor mount tube, in their respected places...
I slid the fin template into position just up onto the fins to get them in-line,
made sure the fins were all the way forward/up against the centering ring, then put a drop of CA at the
leading edge of the fins fastening them to the body tube. The body tube had the primer removed so it was only a matter of seconds before the CA held them in place. Then I slid the fin template towards the rear. I also used CA at the trailing edges of the fins where it met the body tube and just to be sure placed rubber bands around each fin too.
LOC IV fins LE glued with CA.jpg LOC IV fins and template plus bands.jpg LOC IV tail cone fitting.jpg
LOC IV interior fillets.jpg LOC IV fin template.jpg

JP

Last edited:
Glued the rear centering ring last night and doing a final fitting this morning
on the tail cone. quake, I've made it hard on myself and going with 3 screw holes
instead of 2. This way I can use snips and just cut a triangle an nip the ends! I've seen
a few pics here where others have done this and I think I remember seeing a dealer selling
this style too.
LOC IV back centering ring installed.jpg LOC IV tail cone fitting 2.jpg

JP

I was in the process of ordering some 9/0 swivels and was able to stop shipment. They have the ball bearing swivels so I asked about trading that way, so now I'm waiting on an email reply back. They sell them by the package but the money difference between the two is more than I want to spend right now so I asked about just trading for a few swivels. I may end up with only 2 but that's OK by me...

JP

Back