LOC IV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good place to get some swivel's and quick releases? Any pictures of how the best way to hook the parachute and all to the shock cord?

Andrew

I saw a bunch of launches today and the one that stood out was the guy trying to do a level 1 and his red rocket went up about 5 feet or less and nearly burned up on the ground.

I get most of my stainless hardware from e-rigging.com now. Good prices and I've never had any issues with orders or quality.

Is always amazing to see a post starting and then materialize, and you are really doing well! What amaze me is the fact that you are in the end condensating all the advices given and finding your way. Waiting for more pics of the build :p

Just finished the external fin fillets. Waiting on the last set to cure. I have the body marked where the aft and mid centering rings are. I'm going to drill into them for the rail buttons. Should I start off with a very small drill bit and work my way up? I've never tried this method before.

I usually add another piece to the CR, where the buttons will be placed. This give me more 'meat' to aim for when drilling the doles for my buttons.

the buttons are going into wood, so you need only the pilot hole for the size of the screw (#4 or #6 typically) The bigger issue is ensure it is perpendicular!!

Fin can assembly for my 3 inch binder excel rocket

Attachments

• 20211214_095945.jpg
    20211214_095945.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20211214_095953.jpg
    20211214_095953.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 19
I usually add another piece to the CR, where the buttons will be placed. This give me more 'meat' to aim for when drilling the doles for my buttons.

the buttons are going into wood, so you need only the pilot hole for the size of the screw (#4 or #6 typically) The bigger issue is ensure it is perpendicular!!

Unfortunately, I cannot do that now as everything is epoxied into place and filleted. My other option would be to order the conformal rail guides.

Was good to meet you today and hopefully any of the others who tried their level 1 today did not end the same way that one guys rocket did. Here are two recent pictures of my Lil Nuke. Need to do the internal fillets for the fins and the outside. I have the internal fire protection that comes with the rocket but the shield is about 5 3/4 across for a 21 inch parachute. Is that big enough? any information on the best way to hook the shock cord up to the parachute and all would be great. Of course I could just let that part sit until the next launch and get some help at the launch.

Andrew

P.S. Not sure who else from the forums was there today at battlepark

It was nice meeting you. Unfortunately as Prefect, I get pulled in lots of direction. The UVA High Power Rocket Club was out there and had 4 people that wanted to cert L1. As with many college clubs and teams, many had never flow rockets before, so it's a challenge.

The Lil Nuke looks like it's coming along well. That small 6" piece of chute protector doesn't really look like it is going to do much. I would beg, borrow, or buy some dog barf. Much more dependable than undersized chute protectors that are include as a sales pitch.

Personally, I don't use swivels on chutes, except on small Estes types where a fishing swivel is use because of the snap hook, not the swivel. I do use ball bearing swivels on the booster/fin can section with DD rockets because those can spin so much and twist up the apogee shock cord so bad it can twist the drogue chute right up inside the shock cord. For motor ejection models, I don't bother with swivels.

Back