LOC Isis

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Hey eveyone just got a new LOC Isis 38mm yesterday and I have started building it. Anyone have any pros and cons to say about their own experiences building and flying their own?

exprditer789 Make sure you use epoxy in the build..Alex

Why? The materials being bonded are much better suited to wood glue. Besides the end result will be lighter and on the health side a much safer adhesive to use.

True but if this isis is three inch diameter with a 38mm motor mount you could fly a I in it.Alex

Alex...Check this out:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/bd_samurai_38.shtml

and this:

https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=36964

All wood parts were glued together with wood glue. The second link is for an L2 project that has oodles of fin area and flew successfully on a J350.

My L1 project had all wood glue on all the critical parts and I have flown the daylights (15+ flights) on that thing. Not a single sign of stress. My L2 project used all wood glue on all of the inside fillets to save weight. I flew a J350 on that to just a tick over 2k. The only time I use epoxy on fins anymore is the external fillets because it is easier to get a nice look. Wood glue is great stuff if used properly.

-Dave

I have always used epoxy in hpr and mpr builds so im used to epoxy next time i will try wood glue and see how that works out.Alex

Alex,

Use Titebond II yellow wood glue,
works a whole lot better than the white
stuff...

...just be quick installing couplers,
that stuff grabs fast and bites down hard...

P10100016-760x578.jpg

This one is 2.6 AT tubing with 38mm mount,
all put together with yellow glue only...

hijack/off

Last edited:
Why is it when I make a post to see other modelers opinons about a project of mine, people reply to it and turn it into a whole nother topic about some other rocket. It makes me irritated and from now on when I make a post please reply to the original question that is asked.

Good point. I'm guilty and apologize. Perhaps it happens because I check for new posts and respond to what was said last. I will watch that

Thank you. I wish I had a camera to take pics and show the progress of the rocket. Most of the time I use 5 min epoxy and I finish the rocket an a day and let it fully cure for a few days before I begin painting.

Hi Andrew,

I just found your post so your probably done by now. The "IRIS" is my all time favorite rocket by far! I built a 3" using all LOC parts and based my measurements off the LOC/YANK data in "Rocksim" back in 2007.
I used 30min "Devcon" for the whole build with the most of it on the inner tubes. With just very small fillets on the outer airframe. I soaked each end of all the tubes with thin CA and filled the outside spirals with Elmer's "Fill-n-Finish" and primed it with auto primer. It turned out great! And maybe one day I'll put paint on it and the custom decals from "Excelsior Rocketry" I ordered! LOL
In fact I got my Level 2 on this rocket with an AT-J350 at Southern Thunder that year. And it was begging for more motor! Here is a video if your interested...

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ahQigJeNkM[/YOUTUBE]

Borrow a camera and get us a few pics! I never get tired of looking at an IRIS!:D

Mike

Here is My LOC ISIS built with West systems epoxy. The tubes are glassed so no wood glue here. My paint job too.:cool:542.jpg

Great choice! Easy flight as ya saw in the video! Make shure ya get a video and "BEST OF LUCK!"

Mike

Have you flown her yet? Got any pics? I am die'n to see it!:pop:

Mike

I have flown it and it was a successful flight.I did not get any videos or pictures.:mad::mad:I do have a picture of the rocket if you would like to see it.

Back