LOC Hi-Tech build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
Brief background: Having recently moved to Geneseo, NY, I couldn't help but reconsider rocketry. I used to live ~75 miles from a launch site (Elsberry, MO - SLRA) and that really bogged me down. 6am wakeups to get to the field and help set up, etc. I attended the MARS Launch earlier in May and attended NSL today. Wound up with a LOC Hi-Tech and some extra parts and an Adept 22 altimeter. Sweet little package. I want to fly my 3" bird again, but need a L1 at the minimum to fly it (I motors), but I used to be L2. I let it lapse as college took up my time (Ironically, I went to college 30miles up the road at RIT). I just found out that NAR might be able to renew my cert, but I don't know how that will go since I don't remember my NAR number (last flew in '07). I'll contact NAR and give it a try. Meanwhile, the Hi-Tech is to test my G-wiz which hasn't flown since '07 and I suppose test the new Adept 22! Something simple to toss up on big G motors or an H128 to give it a try, and then go to town on the big'un.

The build....

I picked up a few extra centering rings, a longer motor tube, and a few more centering rings in addition to the Adept 22 and the Hi-Tech. I want the bird to be able to handle aggressive motors (heck, maybe a J someday - just because I'm mean - I'll need a transmitter before I fly it on something like that!). I could fiberglass the entire tube, but live in an apartment and it's been a while. I decided I would line the interior of the rocket with epoxied coupler tubes where I am not separating the rocket.

Right now, I'm trying to decide if the 10" upper tube is long enough for the main parachute and recovery harness (10" - 2.5" (e-bay) - 3" (nose cone shoulder) = 4.25"). I am thinking that I might be better off cutting the main body tube to a length that I could put a J570 case in, and then put the motor tube all the way up to the end of the coupler (at the booster/drogue sep joint). This would give me about 8" for the main bay.

Now the dilemma is that I would probably do my L1 cert (in the event NAR can't help me with renewing my certifications) simply by popping the main at apogee. The thought is that I could simply flip the entire upper section 180* and have a long enough bay for the parachute at apogee. If altimeters go along for the ride - I just need to remember to turn them right side up!

Does anyone see an issue with what I want to do? I am thinking it will work well, and I just want to make sure I have enough room for the J570 in the future. I will more than likely (read: definitely) fiberglass the fillets, as well as do tip-to-tip fiberglassing to reinforce the fins. The reinforced main body tube should be able to handle the J.. Right? This is the thin wall LOC tubing.

Thoughts, anyone?

-Mike

Back