LOC Genesis 54mm Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Rocketman

Reaction score
I was looking around at all my spare/suplus parts and came to the conclusion that I got a lot of stuff. I hate to let it just go to waste or just sit around doing nothing. So I started thinking about what I could do with it all. After going through all of it, I found I had a lot of 3.1" LOC parts and tubes. So then I started looking at some LOC rocket plans and decided to build a LOC Genesis. After working on the plan for about an hour and doing some modifications to it, I came up with a simple nice design.

The modified design utlizes 3.1" LOC airframe tubing, a 54mm 26" motor tube, a custom built ejection baffle system, a LOC 3.1" AV Bay, a LOC nose cone, Acme rail guides, fiberglass through-the-body fins, LOC centering rings, LOC bulkheads, Top Flite thin mill nylon parachutes & Kevlar shock cords, stainless steel eye bolts/washers/quick links/lock nuts, a Slimline 54mm Quick Lok motor retainer, a Perfect Flight Stratologger altimeter, a Featherweight magnetic altimeter power switch, and a BRB 900 GPS tracking system. The rocket will be laminated tip to tip with Aeropoxy laminating resin and 2 wraps of 2 oz. fiberglass cloth on the tube and fins. Carbon fiber will be mixed in with the Aeropoxy resin and epoxy for additional strength.

Running on an Aerotech K1100-6T motor, the rocket sims out at Mach 1.7 - a very respectable speed. I can get to Mach 1.9 on a larger K-motor. With a little more tweaking, I should be able to get it to Mach 2 - no problem.

So now its off to gathering all my parts together and start building this monster.

Very cool build! Definitely will be following this build, keep us updated:)

Well I've changed my mind. Instead of building a LOC Genesis 54mm, I studied the design further and decided to borrow some design features from the LOC Genesis and build something better.

The design utlizes 3.1" LOC airframe tubing, a 54mm 26" motor tube, a custom built ejection baffle system, a LOC 3.1" AV Bay, a GLR pinnacle nose cone, Acme rail guides, G-10 fiberglass fins, LOC centering rings, LOC bulkheads, Top Flite thin mill nylon parachutes & 5/16" Kevlar shock cords, stainless steel eye bolts/washers/quick links/lock nuts, a Slimline 54mm Quick Lok motor retainer, a Perfect Flight Stratologger altimeter, a Featherweight magnetic altimeter power switch, and a BRB 900 GPS tracking system. The rocket will be laminated tip to tip with Aeropoxy laminating resin and 2 wraps of 2 oz. fiberglass cloth on the tube and fins. Carbon fiber will be mixed in with the Aeropoxy resin and epoxy for additional strength. The fins are moved forward 1 inch and tweaked a little from the original design for higher speed on sim.

This rocket will be known as a South Texas Rocketry (STR) Evolution.

Latest posts

Back