LOC Forte paint job...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, life finally has stabilized to the point that I can seriously plan on getting my level 1, and maybe 2, certs this year. I had started on a LOC Forte several years ago and decided to finish it up for my level 1.

Most of my rockets end up with a bunch of pseudo-scale details and paint jobs of some kind, and this one isn't going to buck the trend. :p

The idea I had for this one is that it is some kind of surplus military motor that has been re-purposed as a sounding rocket booster like the Nikes were. It was crudely painted day glow red while sitting on a transport cart and it's military data stencils were covered with black spray paint. It then sat around for a while and the day glow red became somewhat badly sun-faded on the side that was on top. When the time came the motor was fitted with a freshly painted fin can assembly and it's scientific payload.

To get the look I was after I sprayed the booster Krylon matte poppy red (Actually, the entire Forte part, I added an av bay and payload tube for dual-deploy), then masked the fins and sprayed the roll patterns Krylon matte black. The fin can was then masked off and I misted layers of white and yellow with an airbrush until I got that mottled kind of look that day glow paint jobs get when left in the sun. When that dried I masked off a couple of squares on both ends and airbrushed OD green to simulate areas that were against the cart when it was painted red. An aluminum wrap will divide the "old" motor from the "new" fin can section.

I think the majority of the painting is done at this point. I still have to fill and paint the payload section, most likely white with black roll pattern or something, The nose cone will get more attention too, but I'm not sure of the final color.

Looking at it, I think I achieved the look I was after, but, well, it looks like it's been around for years and it isn't even finished yet! ;)

Pics:

IMG_20190525_174009.jpg IMG_20190525_174118.jpg IMG_20190525_174142.jpg IMG_20190525_174338.jpg IMG_20190525_174647.jpg IMG_20190525_174709.jpg

Nice! These are great flyers, and smart move getting the payload bay as well, they are great flyers. Good L1 kit, will fly 1800 or so on an H128-8 (with adapter). 2500' on an H123-10.

Attachments

• 20170923_180211_resized.jpg
    20170923_180211_resized.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 109
  • 20170923_180235.jpg
    20170923_180235.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 122
Forte’ + payload = Caliber ISP?

I’m wrapping a Caliber ISP build and, proportionately, that looks a lot like mine.

Forte’ + payload = Caliber ISP?

I’m wrapping a Caliber ISP build and, proportionately, that looks a lot like mine.

I've been following your Caliber build; it inspired me to finish off (and mod) the Forte.

Best I can tell the only real difference in the kits is that the Caliber ISP comes with a 38mm motor mount tube and payload bay and the Forte is 29mm, booster only.

Another difference may be the fin construction. This thing has been sitting around the shop built, but unfinished for so long (years) that I don't quite remember, but I think it has through the wall mounted fins, but the fin tabs don't reach the motor mount. In other words, the fin tabs are only long enough to go through the airframe tube. I'll have to see if I can find the directions on line to check that out.

Nice build, and great weathered paint scheme. Just to chip in on your discussion - I note the LOC website actually lists the Forte as having a 38mm MMT, and the Caliber ISP as having a 54mm MMT. I think this is perhaps a recent upgrade of both (..?)

Nice build, and great weathered paint scheme. Just to chip in on your discussion - I note the LOC website actually lists the Forte as having a 38mm MMT, and the Caliber ISP as having a 54mm MMT. I think this is perhaps a recent upgrade of both (..?)

Caliber ISP has been 54mm since its origination. The Forte has toggled back and forth between 29mm and 38mm, with both offered at times.

The fins of the Forte and Cal ISP are very close; though the ISP are a touch larger.

Both great rockets for sure!!!

That's great! I love the story behind it, the Olive Drab poking through was a very nice touch. And that sun fading looks just right! It looks like it has been sitting in a military surplus heap out in the desert for years.

Nice idea!

Reminds me of how I enjoyed tagging and weathering rolling stock when I was doing model railroading. One railroad buying another and painting out just the logos is fun, such as BNSF on the distinctive ATSF paint scheme.

Caliber ISP has been 54mm since its origination. The Forte has toggled back and forth between 29mm and 38mm, with both offered at times.

The fins of the Forte and Cal ISP are very close; though the ISP are a touch larger.

Both great rockets for sure!!!

Thanks for the correction, that's what I get for posting prior to coffee. The Caliber ISP has always been 54mm. I didn't know the Forte bounced between 29mm and 38mm though. I got this one at a launch years ago and assumed they were all the same.

Nice idea!

Reminds me of how I enjoyed tagging and weathering rolling stock when I was doing model railroading. One railroad buying another and painting out just the logos is fun, such as BNSF on the distinctive ATSF paint scheme.

Thanks John! I'm a scale modeler too, though I've never gotten into model railroading (Don't have the room!), but I love looking at the work you guys do. I've learned a ton about creating realism from railroad mags and websites. I mostly do armor these days, so I'm frequently in the railroad section of the shop for scenery ideas.

I like the same kind of fiddly details you are talking about. I once did a stick and tissue scale Cessna "junker" that had an aged paint job with mis-matched control surfaces as if they were salvaged from another airplane, unpainted repair panels and a spray painted registration number. Just something different from the normal bright and shiny!

Well, finally got this rascal finished.

Av bay and sled built, though for my L-1 cert flight I'll use motor ejection. Still have to decide on chutes, but that will depend on which field we end up using for the launch in question. We have three that we use, some more friendly to drift than others.

For the paint scheme I stuck with the "theme" of an old military solid motor re-purposed as a sounding rocket (See post #1). I figured that anything that had been sitting around for a while would have acquired a few dings and scratches along the way, so some OD green and silver was used to make little "chips" in the orange paint on the booster, particularly at the ends where things tend to get dinged the most. I also figured that the fin can, though stored indoors and not faded like the booster, would have been handled a bit and gathered a few chips of it's own, with the ends and fin edges taking the most abuse.

I'm happy with the effect, though I think I may have overdone the chipping a bit. It almost looks like it was shipped UPS without a box.

The payload bay and switch band were done in my typical aluminum tape with embossed screws/rivets method. No weathering applied because the payload would be a brand new experiment bolted to the motor assembly.

Enough babbling; here are some pics:

20190713_170802.jpg 20190713_170852.jpg

Attachments

• 20190713_170823.jpg
    20190713_170823.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190713_170839.jpg
    20190713_170839.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 60
Thanks John!

I like it, very nice. Do you have any close ups of your Al tape with embossed rivets? (EDIT: posted while I was typing!)

Your weathered rocket was the inspiration for my rough and worn Skunk'd rocket.

Wow, thanks Marten, I LOVED the Skunk'd rocket!! You really nailed the look with that one. The outside ignition conduits are genius. It actually inspired me to start thinking about doing a beat-up space freighter design. Would be a fun change from my typical pseudo-scale sounding rockets!

I like the 'backstory' you've worked out for the excellent paint effects, but in my experience real paint chips, scuffs and stains happen quickly enough in HPR: even with regular post flight cleaning, BP and AP residue, scorching (particularly with red effects propellant) and scratches from the rail and recovery all take their toll. Anyway, good luck with your flight.

Cheers Tim!

I agree completely, they do tend to wear over time. I just wanted to do something a little different and being a scale modeler a bit of weathering seemed like it would be fun.

I will say that since it already looks beat up the first flight jitters have been reduced significantly! :p

Mike

Using the aluminum tape is a great idea. I like the way you used 2 layers of
tape to simulate a door / panel on the payload section
Did you clear coat the tape to keep it from coming off ?

Great job

Bobby

Wow!!! This has to one of the most ingenuitive paint schemes I have ever scene. Just incredible. A couple of questions:

1) Will you be adding any decals??
2) How did you add the "screw" heads?? I know you used the word "emobossed" is that like a stamp??
3) Lastly, what will you be using for avionics?? I hoping to try DD myself, I'm just curious on what flight computer you'll be using.

Good luck at the launch pad,

Geoffrey

Mike

Using the aluminum tape is a great idea. I like the way you used 2 layers of
tape to simulate a door / panel on the payload section
Did you clear coat the tape to keep it from coming off ?

Great job

Bobby

Thanks Bobby! No clear coat over the aluminum tape, and none needed. The tape I use is made for sealing heating/AC ducts and it sticks like burnt lasagna. After a couple of hours it is just about impossible to get off.

Wow!!! This has to one of the most ingenuitive paint schemes I have ever scene. Just incredible. A couple of questions:

1) Will you be adding any decals??
2) How did you add the "screw" heads?? I know you used the word "emobossed" is that like a stamp??
3) Lastly, what will you be using for avionics?? I hoping to try DD myself, I'm just curious on what flight computer you'll be using.

Good luck at the launch pad,

Geoffrey

Thank you very much Geoffrey, you are very kind!

No decals on this one except for the few that are already on the payload bay. I guess some stenciled info or something would have been nice, but I didn't have any on hand and it was kind of keeping with the "story" that the old military stenciling was sprayed over. Used a bunch of decals on this one though...https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/just-finished-this-one-up.155429/

The screw heads are done with various sizes of brass tubing to emboss the round shapes, then a very small screwdriver is used to make the screw slots. Two crossed slots make it look like a phillips screw. If you use a smaller piece of tubing to make a second circle inside the first it looks like an allen-head screw. Coloring the "screw heads" with a gold, silver or copper colored sharipie markers adds to the look. I usually apply the tape first and then add screws/rivets.

I have Missile Works RRC3 and RRC2 altimeters that I am setting up as a primary and secondary. They have some great features for a great price and are readily available. I've also been trying to get a Stratologger, but those things have been harder to get a hold of than unicorn horns lately. I flew my Level 1 cert flight with this rocket, but just used motor ejection to keep it as simple as possible. Harry Spears got a great pic of the flight!

Thanks again!!

DSC_0103a.jpg

Oh yeah.... You nailed it. Love the chipped paint effect all around. Congrats on a unique paint job and double congrats on your L1 certification!!!

Back