LOC EZI-65 Supersonic Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

DMehalko

Reaction score
Ok, time to crack this thing out, progress on the booster, most of this work is to prep for the raw carbon look I want

Attachments

Last edited:

DMehalko

Reaction score
Stickershok makes masks, I was planning
Vinyl but really wanted a 100% color match, which means I have to paint the graphics on, no stickers here!

Attachments

UPscaler

Reaction score
I love black and green paint jobs! Based on what you've done, this thing will handle mach speeds like a champ. Though, really pushing it might still cause a little concern for flutter based solely on the fin shape. Might be a bit overthought, but external T2T may have been a reasonable idea for some added peace of mind.

Even G10 likes to get wavy under certain circumstances!

Braden

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Question: how much does tip-to-tip help, as opposed to laminating the fins on the table then embedding some glass cloth the fillets? The latter sounds easier. If the tube between the fins also needs (more) lamination, that could be done along with the fillets, and would still be easier than going tip-to-tip. I read about tip-to-tip, and I figured I would follow others' lead, but I'm questioning the benefit compared to easier methods.

rfjustin

Reaction score
Question: how much does tip-to-tip help, as opposed to laminating the fins on the table then embedding some glass cloth the fillets? The latter sounds easier. If the tube between the fins also needs (more) lamination, that could be done along with the fillets, and would still be easier than going tip-to-tip. I read about tip-to-tip, and I figured I would follow others' lead, but I'm questioning the benefit compared to easier methods.
I've done a lot of tip to tip, and I cant really offer any scientific support other than it "feels" stronger than most any other method I've used. The latter process you described would be easier, but I would argue the tip to tip would be stronger.

For the project at hand, the thickness of the G10 fins an the added rigidity of the carbon on the tube, this thing aint folding over anytime soon.:headspinning:

DMehalko

Reaction score
I love black and green paint jobs! Based on what you've done, this thing will handle mach speeds like a champ. Though, really pushing it might still cause a little concern for flutter based solely on the fin shape. Might be a bit overthought, but external T2T may have been a reasonable idea for some added peace of mind.

Even G10 likes to get wavy under certain circumstances!

Braden
Thanks! Yes love green and black also!

Thanks! Added some color shift flake and clear today :)

199756065_10165546480440145_8050062523563133835_n.jpg

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Watch out for the J99. Even lower initial thrust than an I65. J275 would be a good motor. Note how my saucer struggles on a J99.

DMehalko

Reaction score
Watch out for the J99. Even lower initial thrust than an I65. J275 would be a good motor. Note how my saucer struggles on a J99.
Ya good call, and yes im leaning more and more towards the J275, havent gotten my final weights yet but looks like it should put it around 4k.

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There is also the J150 (granted, different hardware) which would be fun to see in a rocket like that. It sits right between the J99 and J275. Same total impulse as the J99, but nearly twice the initial thrust.

1624377696902.png

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If one is going for top speed, pushing through transonic, the J275 is still the way to go.

Theory

Reaction score
dont thing the J275 is for the supersonic flight.

in a 4" rocket, it really wont get going all that fast.

likely going to need a good K to break Mach

DMehalko

Reaction score
Ya, im talking just a first flight motor, i should of clarified. And yes a k550 might not even do it with the weight its picked up, we shall see! A k1103x will, but thats a pretty aggressive K motor lol. Ill work my way into this one haha.

Theory

Reaction score
the 1103X is what i was thinking

big fan of that motor!

aggressive and Mach kinda go hand in hand...

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Header says 3" but the description says 2"... I'll see if I can get hold of someone and see what they have... Thanks!
There is also the J150 (granted, different hardware) which would be fun to see in a rocket like that. It sits right between the J99 and J275. Same total impulse as the J99, but nearly twice the initial thrust.
You will like the J150. 2 of them in my 54 mm Deuce in this video starting at 3:45 in this video. Rocket weighs 20 lb. prepped less motors.

DMehalko

Reaction score
Wrapped this build up! Missed my last few updates, and made it out to LDRS for a couple test flights, flew on a i284 and j500 for 2 flawless flights and testing electronics (my first dual deploy bird also).

The salt flats were amazing!

Hopefully this weekend I’ll push some power through it for a supersonic attempt, still deciding on motor

73FE746C-CA9C-4CAF-A31C-2EDFF394EAC6.jpeg