LOC Doorknob Airframe Extension and Avbay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been dreaming of a 2-stage version of this rocket for a while now. I don't have the experience yet to tackle a project this big, but for now perhaps this open rocket file can help. Note that in the file I've modified the factory MMAS (motor mount) rear centering ring and fin tabs to get enough coupler engagement into the sustainer (if using a simple coupler method).

I DEFINITELY want to see the build thread on this one when you start it!!

Attachments

• Doorknob Two Stage.ork
    138.8 KB · Views: 9
You bet! Will do!

I probably wont start building till later this month, I still have to order a few more parts as well as the second kit (Trying to badger LOC into some sort of discount!) Should have all the parts gathered together in a couple weeks and then if off and building!

I'll let you know!

Thanks for the ork file by the way!

Whoa! I just opened the file. Nice job and detail!

I might just scrap the one I started and use yours! :)

Again, Thanks and Ill let you know when I start the build thread

I finally got some color on the airframe extension. The finish is definitely not the best (I won't become a professional car painter anytime soon) but it is decent enough. I just got the trim Monokote sheet stripes applied and took a couple shots to compare the original payload tube length to the new, more scale appropriate payload tube length. Avbay is done, I just have to drill for the nose cone shear pins (planning on 3 2-56 nylon screws) and it will be ready for it's re-maiden flight on a K535.

Original LOC length payload section on left, new extended payload tube on right, nosecone for reference.
20220705_201042.jpg

All stacked up:
20220705_201000.jpg

Back