LOC Cool-Spool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioFlyer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a LOC Cool-Spool the other day when I was at eRockets. Seemed like a quick and fun build and the price was right so it came home with me. Since I couldn't find any build threads on here I figured I'd do a quick one on this very simple build.

Its a pretty complete kit like most LOC kits. Comes with the spool, motor mount tube, filler tube, centering rings, motor clip, chute, shock cord, spacers for shorter motors, and decals. I elected not to use the included shock cord as its a fairly thin nylon and isn't really servicable once built. Also decided against using the motor clip as I would think it would scratch up my 29/40-120 case. I will be replacing the shock cord with a length of Technora and the motor clip with an Estes screw on retainer (stolen from my Der Big Red Max kit). I'll also be adding a tiny chute protector and swivel cause I have them on hand.

PXL_20220402_034918461.jpgPXL_20220402_034911603.jpg

First step was to dry fit and mark up referencing spacing for motor tube exposure and centering ring locations. Also notched the forward CR to allow the technora to pass. PXL_20220402_042838820.jpgPXL_20220402_035034579.jpg

Then I epoxied things in place and moved onto partially assembling the spool body which involved cementing the bottom to the tube and putting the decal on the inside face. PXL_20220402_051725950.jpgPXL_20220402_050236288.jpg

That's all for tonight as its getting late and I want to let the epoxy fully cure before putting it into the inner body tube.

Very cool
I was looking at one of these
Some of the videos on YouTube look like it works well lol

Very cool
I was looking at one of these
Some of the videos on YouTube look like it works well lol

Yeah, I've got a soft spot for silly rockets (see my Crayon Rocket thread) so I figured at the price ($20) it'd be a good additional to the pile.

I just got the motor tube into the stuffer tube, and that assembly into the "body tube." I decided to wrap some tape around the stuffer tube to snug it up and a put a dab of epoxy inside the body tube for good measure. Once that was in I glued in the top piece and glued the estes motor retainer. Once all that cures I'll slap the remaining decals on, tie on the chute, and she'll be ready for her maiden flight.

PXL_20220402_182150381.jpgPXL_20220402_192003256.jpgPXL_20220402_192011895.jpg

looking good
Any idea what motor for the maiden flight

QUOTE="OhioFlyer, post: 2261956, member: 35120"]
Yeah, I've got a soft spot for silly rockets (see my Crayon Rocket thread) so I figured at the price ($20) it'd be a good additional to the pile.

I just got the motor tube into the stuffer tube, and that assembly into the "body tube." I decided to wrap some tape around the stuffer tube to snug it up and a put a dab of epoxy inside the body tube for good measure. Once that was in I glued in the top piece and glued the estes motor retainer. Once all that cures I'll slap the remaining decals on, tie on the chute, and she'll be ready for her maiden flight.

View attachment 512408View attachment 512409View attachment 512410
[/QUOTE]

Very cool took off fast .....

Had a fun flight with the G76-4G. Pretty straight flight with some tumbling at the top. Chute deployed nicely and then it promptly landed itself right into the stream that cuts through our field.

Was able to fish it out pretty quickly and
It will fly again another day.

View attachment 512675

picked a cool spool up also
Had its maiden flight today on a G77 red
It was awesome. Was windy today so worked out well to fly this

Picked up a LOC Cool-Spool the other day when I was at eRockets. Seemed like a quick and fun build and the price was right so it came home with me. Since I couldn't find any build threads on here I figured I'd do a quick one on this very simple build.

Its a pretty complete kit like most LOC kits. Comes with the spool, motor mount tube, filler tube, centering rings, motor clip, chute, shock cord, spacers for shorter motors, and decals. I elected not to use the included shock cord as its a fairly thin nylon and isn't really servicable once built. Also decided against using the motor clip as I would think it would scratch up my 29/40-120 case. I will be replacing the shock cord with a length of Technora and the motor clip with an Estes screw on retainer (stolen from my Der Big Red Max kit). I'll also be adding a tiny chute protector and swivel cause I have them on hand.

View attachment 512332View attachment 512333

I just got this kit,... no instructions were included. Easy enough though.

Is there an Open Rocket file for this?

I've got a bunch of F15-6 engines that I'd like to use. Worried the delay might be too long.

The LOC site says F and G engines, but no other data. Seems like everyone is using a G.

I went ahead and created an Open Rocket file for the LOC Cool Spool, based on the as-built measurements and weights. Modeled the forward disc as a body tube, rear disc as a bulkhead. Attached.

Looks like the delay needs to be a lot shorter than 6s. F15-6 probably no good for parachute deploy.

Or maybe I could convert it to a "spool spinner" and still use an F15-6? (https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter352.pdf)

Discuss.

1651078623187.png

1651078658348.png

Attachments

• LOC Cool Spool v2.ork
    52 KB · Views: 2
Good info thanks
I have only flown a G77 with a 4 second delay and it was spot on !

Back