LOC Caliber ISP “full send flight”

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theory

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This past Friday I loaded up my LOC Caliber ISP with a J350 and pushed the button.

1AAD00E3-DE9A-45DB-8AF5-3443E037F963.png

Reached 4773’ at 668fps.

Video:

She is 100% cardboard and plywood held together with epoxy. No glass, no carbon, nothing outside the regular kit.

Next up, the Aerotech J500

that thing took off straight as a arrow
Very nice !!

This past Friday I loaded up my LOC Caliber ISP with a J350 and pushed the button.

View attachment 490167

Reached 4773’ at 668fps.

Video:

She is 100% cardboard and plywood held together with epoxy. No glass, no carbon, nothing outside the regular kit.

Next up, the Aerotech J500

Here are some photos and video I took of Tony's flight at FAR:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zSDuzMDKMYCSVs6k9

Needs stronger airframe above the motor with internal support for the nosecone/avionics.
Possible tip shredding on the fins which may have added to the stress from vibration and angle-of-attack.

Do it again!
My Calober came with a 54 mm mount. Didn't yours? The largest motor my Caliber has flown on is a 3 grain 54 Rx (like J415) to 7500 feet. Also, stock construction except added electronic dual deploy. I don't have any video of this flight. I lost it on a K160 :(

yes, mine came with the 54, however, i permanently adapted down to a 38mm.

might only fly her on a 54mm once or twice and do not like the idea of using an adapter for 99% of my flights.

where i typically fly, there arent many opportunities to fly over 6500', as such, the 38mm mount works very well.

bet yours ROCKED on that 415!

I like how you used just no fiberglass or carbon on this kit. that is an awesome launch pic!

LOC Caliber ISP is one of my favorite HPR models. I've built several over the years. Yup, no glass needed. I push them pretty hard on K185s. Heh heh. The cardboard does eventually get bruised, last one turned to confetti. Need to build another one.

thanks all

really looking forward to building another high performance cardboard LOC kit.

have always wanted an EZI-65, maybe that is the next one. Also really thought about a fun cluster rocket at this time last year. An Ultimate or 3" Magnum...

decisions decisions...

Nice flight! You might want to fly an I1299N motor. If it can handle that thrust, it's just a question of aerodynamics as the speed get higher on other motors.

I love seeing the "speed of cardboard" limits! Makes for spectacular flights which are fun when they aren't mine!

The I1299 would be a fun flight for sure. Really enjoy the warp 9 motors.

interestingly the top speed on the I1299 is less than the J350. The g load of I is huge at almost 60g where the J350 only pulls 29.

like the idea and will probably buy one and the plugged forward closure at some point soon.

The I1299 would be a fun flight for sure. Really enjoy the warp 9 motors.

interestingly the top speed on the I1299 is less than the J350. The g load of I is huge at almost 60g where the J350 only pulls 29.

like the idea and will probably buy one and the plugged forward closure at some point soon.

I've been flying I1299N with just a standard closure and the delay elements w/o any BP. No problems so far.

My WM Jr loves the I1299. Thats such an awesome motor and I'm sure the Caliber ISP would rock on it.

That settles it, will be purchasing an I1299 with my next HAZMAT order.

too bad i didnt think of this before WMs holiday sale...

Back