LOC Black Brant X 1.63 Park-Flier

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler P

Nom-nom-nom...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I picked this up as soon as I saw them available to add to my Black Brant collection! I also picked up an IRIS of the same series to go along with my 3" version.

These things are super solid and weighty! Heavy thick-walled tubing, thick ply fins and rings, and TTW fin attachment make this thing a beast. Just like they say, it will withstand fast descent rates so you can fly it at smaller fields without the fear of it drifting too far, which is good because it has a 29mm mount!

It also comes with a nylon chute and nomex chute protector.

I'm pretty sure that I've found the true everyday workhorses of my fleet!

I was excited to dig in and realized I forgot to take a pic before I got into the motor mount, haha!

Again, I've chosed to go with an Estes screw-on retainer. They're just easy with zero risk of a motor casing ejecting out the back. I had to pilfer this one out of a Star Orbiter kit I had in my build pile because I forgot to order one with this kit.

I'll make a little build thread, even though it's a very straightforward build.

Enjoy!20191228_145538.jpg

20191228_155101.jpg BSI 5-minute epoxy for the bulkhead coupler. I would have used Titebond III but the fit was a touch looser than I wanted for wood glue. 20191228_154228.jpgThe payload section is done. I'll sand it, give it a coat of EZE-Kote finishing resin and give it another quick sand with 400 grit before paint.

A dry fit of the fins.20191228_155249.jpgThis revealed a little problem. The screw-on retainer needed to be modified to clear the fins. A quick little sanding on the bench sander and it is fixed up.20191228_160100.jpg

I like the park flyer I have built. The 1.6 Magnum. Nice and solid little rocket. Flown on a few F39 blue motors. And once on a F35. Goes out of sight on F motors. I am afraid to fly it on G motors until I get figure out and implement tracking on it. Mine has a AeroTech retainer which is a nice fit on the back end.

I like the park flyer I have built. The 1.6 Magnum. Nice and solid little rocket. Flown on a few F39 blue motors. And once on a F35. Goes out of sight on F motors. I am afraid to fly it on G motors until I get figure out and implement tracking on it. Mine has a AeroTech retainer which is a nice fit on the back end.

The aerotech retainers are more sleek for sure.

Is the park-flier Magnum a cluster like the bigger one?

Is the park-flier Magnum a cluster like the bigger one?

The park flier version is single 29mm in a 38mm body. I fly it with a 29mm to 24mm adapter for now. The Magnum is much shorter and lighter then the Bb2 though.
I also have the 3” magnum. Built and ready for paint. 3 29mms in a 3” cardboard body. I have a optional dual deploy set up ready too. Still need to set up eBay though. I plan to fly it fall of 2020 with an air start as the third motor. If I get around to it. That’s a lot of prep and I’m about 6 months behind already.

So, I like like to live dangerously, haha! Heated up some 30 minute epoxy by my shop heater to get it to thin a bit, as it has sat for awhile.

Then, I decided to attach all 4 fins at once. Not something I recommend but it's not my first rodeo and it's definitely doable with ttw fins.

Worked fast, as hot epoxy kicks off much faster than cold epoxy. 30-minute sets in about 15.

Turned out okay. I will also be doing filets but not tonight, I don't think.20191229_174846.jpg 20191229_173902.jpg

The park flier version is single 29mm in a 38mm body. I fly it with a 29mm to 24mm adapter for now. The Magnum is much shorter and lighter then the Bb2 though.
I also have the 3” magnum. Built and ready for paint. 3 29mms in a 3” cardboard body. I have a optional dual deploy set up ready too. Still need to set up eBay though. I plan to fly it fall of 2020 with an air start as the third motor. If I get around to it. That’s a lot of prep and I’m about 6 months behind already.

That sounds pretty cool! I haven't tried a cluster yet. Rocketarium makes a cool Korean sounding rocket called the KSR 420S that has 3 18mm mounts. I just ordered it for my first go on a cluster. Nice, inexpensive way to try it out.

You may want to try this to clean up the Estes retainer. Remove the flutes. You don't need them to tighten the retainer. Nice build, by the way.

wAL+ZuZNSQ2VdKb%F5f+iw.jpg

20200104_141943.jpg 20200104_142026.jpg

Filets are done. I didn't take pics of the process as I was doing 2 rockets with one batch of 30-minute epoxy mixed with SIG micro-balloons, so I didn't have time to stop and take pictures.

Mixed 30-minute epoxy and then added micro-balloons until it made a nice slurry/paste. Applied with a popsicle stick and smoothed with a finger dipped in rubbing alcohol.

Now with two coats of EZE-Kote, brushed on by hand this time. I think I may just hand apply it from now on. It went quick and I don't need to clean my airbrush after. Probably gives the same results in the end.20200104_165605.jpg

The E16-7W didn't light. I burnt the igniter. Now I'm wondering if the piece of tape that I was told to put over the slot in the instructions, has moved. Motor is currently being stored in my range box til I get another igniter for it.

The E16-7W didn't light. I burnt the igniter. Now I'm wondering if the piece of tape that I was told to put over the slot in the instructions, has moved. Motor is currently being stored in my range box til I get another igniter for it.

That's the reason I haven't flown my park-flyer IRIS yet. Same thing happened.

Back