Loc black brandt X

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Nokes

Reaction score
Hi everyone thank you for all the help given to me recently.
I have about 1 inch space between the base of them tube and the motor centering ring.
I've been brain storming, is that too small amount to build a terrier booster for it. I looked at pictures of the real thing and saw the booster and I thought that would need an awesome addition thank you

It could be possible but I usually use 1 body tube width as a minimum length for a coupler for staging (4" minimum on this 4" diameter rocket). You might be able to build a custom inter-stage coupler that is strong enough in that 1 inch but I wouldn't. This is one of those modifications that needs to be planned for before any building starts.

On the 2.2" version of this kit, LOC has 2 options, a 38mm with the aft ring installed higher and custom fins to support a inter-stage coupler and then the 3" terrier booster and also a 29mm option with the standard aft ring placement and fins that wont support the inter-stage coupler and terrier booster.

I have another question guys. The wood the fins are made from is really nice but I'm not wanting any wood grain showing. I know in small models,I used to apply sanding sealer. What are alternative methods on big boys like the 4 in loc BBX
thank you

Bondo or other filler... Variety of opinions here. Sanding. :).

You can also paper the fins, there are variety of techniques there.

Or fiberglas them.

Sand with 180, prime, sand with 180 again, prime again and then sand with 220. Then when painted with color (black for BBX) no grain will show.

Duplicolor is ideal. It coats very well, dries to the touch in just a few minutes and fully in less than an hour and sands well. Its also hard to find and more expensive. I've used Krylon ColorMax grey as a distant second. It doesn't coat as well, takes longer to dry and doesn't sand as well...but its available nearly everywhere and is much cheaper.

edit: Krylon ColorMax white primer is worse than worthless. Its the consistancy of water, runs horribly and takes 4 coats to equal 1 good coat of just about anything else.

https://www.duplicolor.com/product/2-in-1-hi-build-primer/
https://www.krylon.com/products/colormaxx-primer/

Duplicolor or Rustoleum filler and primer. It's found in the automotive area of Walmart

1618361759427.png

-Bob

Back