LOC - Aura

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that I have not flown my LOC Aura since the changeover from TRF1 to TRF 2. Apparently it was one of the last ones I flew before the original site went down. My old thread is here: https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=48399

In any event, I guess the reason it comes out so seldom is that the 24mm adapters like to stick in place and the 29mm motors I have had in the past run the real risk of losing the rocket. I hope that has changed with the availability now of the new 29mm Roadrunner E25s. I loaded up with an E25-7 and took it out to the pad.

Aura-f0a.jpg

Aura-f0b.jpg

Aura-f0c.jpg

Aura-f0d.jpg

Aura-f0e.jpg

When the launch button was pushed, something strange happened. I have never had a Roadrunner igniter fail to light the motor off. I have never even had any chuffing. On this day, however, it just smoked and the motor did not ignite.

Aura-f0f.jpg

Aura-f0g.jpg

Aura-f0h.jpg

Aura-f0i.jpg

The other strange thing was how long it smoked. I waited quite a while because I was not certain that something was not going to happen.

Aura-f0j.jpg

Aura-f0k.jpg

Aura-f0l.jpg

When I was sure it was safe to go back out and retrieve the rocket, Art Applewhite was kind enough to give me an Ellis Mountain igniter. It looked similar but had quite a bit more pyrogen on it. I installed it and took the rocket back out to the pad.

Aura-f1a.jpg

Aura-f1b.jpg

Aura-f1c.jpg

Aura-f1d.jpg

On pushing the launch button, I thought at first we were going to have a repeat performance. I saw smoke but the motor seemed to want to think about igniting.

Aura-f1e.jpg

Aura-f1f.jpg

Then there was no doubt that the motor had ignited.

Aura-f1g.jpg

It quickly turned from a rocket to a speck in the sky with a tail of smoke.

Aura-f1i.jpg

Aura-f1j.jpg

Aura-f1k.jpg

Aura-f1l.jpg

Aura-f1m.jpg

When thrust ended, it had plenty of time to coast.

Aura-f1n.jpg

Aura-f1o.jpg

Aura-f1p.jpg

Then the ejection charge went off at the limit of my personal resolution.

Aura-f1q.jpg

Then the 12" X chute I had replaced the streamer with came out and spun the Aura all the way back down for a safe recovery.

Aura-f1r.jpg

Aura-f1s.jpg

Aura-f1t.jpg

I have lost two Auras and just bought my third. I lost the first one on a E9, due to bad aiming into the wind and it ended up in the woods. I lost my second one on a F20, because of the same thing. The third one has not flown yet. I may be flying it on a F motor in April.

I have launched my aura on a G - Pretty nice flight. I am going to have to reinforce the fin though. I may cut grooved for them.

Back