LOC - Aura

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a G500-15 (custom motor from Vulcan) in one back in 1990. Flew fine, even got it back :D

Rocketjunkie - Thanks for the info. I thought it was a pretty old kit. My oldest rocket, built in '96 I think.
She's made at least 35 flights so far. Flew it 3 times last year, each time it cracked off a fin on landing. Noticed the aging tube was giving up as opposed to glue or plywood failure. Rebuild undertaken during the Covid timeout. Slotted the tube, cut new fins "with tabs", lot's of epoxy inside the tube, and a new paint job. She's headed to Geneseo, NY this weekend to try out her new fins.

Mugs914

WAC Corporal is my all time favorite rocket. Aura looks great in that paint scheme.

My 1/3 scale WAC is still in the design/planning stage. Because you mentioned it, it is now a 2 stage project with Tiny Tim included.
An RRC3 acquired to handle air start and recovery duties. The physical interface between the 2 stages is the current subject of study.

I also got mine in 1988-89. it came with a red streamer (no chute) and a cool holographic Loc Precision sticker to go on the side. :)

I built a few Estes kits as a 8yr old kid. Then I grew up and around 1996 or so discovered Hobby Town USA and they had a LOC Aura and an Aerotech G80. I jumped at the chance to mix those. It had the red/orange streamer. Launched it and I swear it hit orbit or was converted into an ICBM. I've since built 2 replacements

Back