LOC Aura build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouch

Reaction score
I have been wanting to build a LOC Aura for several years. Now seems like a good time, so let's do this! I went with the Aura because it's an affordable, good looking kit that would fill my desire to get some respectable altitude on affordable motors. It's a bang for the buck kind of thing. It also uses 29mm hardware which is unquestionably my favorite. The plan is to keep it relatively simple, kind of a kick the tires and light the fires sort of flyer.

I plan on using large G's with maybe an H or two thrown in but want to avoid dual deploy. Instead I plan on popping the top at apogee, using a small chute and a tracker in a shortened payload section. The payload will also contain Pnut so I can see how high this little screamer is going.

I decided to modify it slightly to improve it's recovery and survivability. The mods are simple, I lengthened the motor mount to accommodate a 3 grain case. I did this because I intend to mount the forward rail button into the fiber centering ring and wanted it moved forward a bit. I also notched the fins and slotted the body tube for TTW fins. In addition I added a Slim Line motor mount to hold on to my cases.

The first picture shows the Aura kit with a cut down payload bay (more on than later) along with the glued up motor mount with about 6 feet of 500# test kevlar from 3 Dogs and the Slim Line.

DSC_0002-L.jpg

I picked up some sweet fin guides from Nat @ UpscaleCNC. He made a set that would work for the LOC Aura, Weasel and Legacy. I also discovered that they fit on a 38mm Blue Tube just in case I ever wanted to build a minimum diameter.

DSC_0007-L.jpg

DSC_0009-L.jpg

The LOC Aura was my first rocket. It has been a lot of fun. I ditched the steamer and got a 12" parachute. I flew it a couple times on a G. I definitely recommend a tracker. I almost lost mine a couple times. Nice fin guides!

Grouch, sweet fin alignment jigs. Gonna steal that idea and probably will give you credit if people ask about them. LOL! My customary ones are double layered cardboard.

View attachment 171215

The Aura is a nice kit. I bought an extra length of 54mm tube and turned mine into a tube fin rocket which has flown with great success. Very sleek looking but very stout.

View attachment 171216

My brother in law flew a bunch of flights with an Aura at NARAM last year. On one flight the chute didn't deploy and it came in fast, broadsiding the metal launch rack. Not a scratch on it.:cool: It's on my "to do" list. (Almost pulled the trigger on one from Hobbylinc a few weeks ago, but went with a couple of TLP kits instead.)

The Aura is one of my favorite kits. I stretched it and added a payload bay. Here it is flying on an old single use Aerotech H125. Fast Forward to 49 seconds and don't blink. It's fast. :surprised:

[video=youtube;XvreZhsiahs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvreZhsiahs[/video]

The LOC Aura is a favorite of mine. The only mods I made to mine are adding buttons instead of a lug and a layer of lightweight fiberglass tip to tip on the fins to help keep them in place on hard landings. I made an opening in the bottom of the nose cone so I can stow my BRB tracker. It has come in handy on a couple of G flights I've made with it. Sometimes I'll just send the Aura up on a motor like a CTI F36 Smokey Sam as a cool wind test rocket before launching larger stuff. I tend to use a little 8" CATO chute for recovery :)

I was going to make the Aura longer or add a payload section but then I realized I was ending up with a rocket pretty darn similar to one I already have, the LOC Weasel. The Weasel is another excellent performer. :)

Good luck with the build. I love the fin alignment jig. A bit more robust than the foam core based ones I tend to cut out. :)

Jim Z

Thanks for the feedback guys. The fin jig is going to earn it's keep in the future. I am digging this size rocket. I forgot what Nat (upscale cnc) said he was going to charge for them but it wasn't much. I went with an extended Aura over a shortened Weasel because it looks cooler. With the 6" payload bay on it looks like an Aerobee. I may end up painting it like the Aerobee and have Stickershock make up a sticker that says "Aurabee" in the same font. Sorta scale mini sounding rocket.

Now I am wrestling with my first problem. Since I am using a payload bay, the rocket will have a coupler. I know the whole speed of paper thing mostly comes down to the strength of the coupler. Since LOC doesn't make a stiffy for the 38mm coupler, I am considering filling it with expanding foam to strengthen the coupler by preventing it from buckling.

I got the fillets done and got the Pnut in the mail. All that's left now is to mount the altimeter, fill the gaps in front of the fins, fill the spirals, drill the holes for the rail buttons then paint. I should be about done with the heavy lifting by the end of the weekend. Pics to follow but I will give a spoiler, the altimeter and tracker sled looks killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
Time for an update. Fillets in progress.

DSC_0001-L.jpg

I decided to fill the coupler with two part foam to stiffen it up. This was the first time I have used it, talk about easy. Hopefully it will prevent the mini sounding rocket from buckling when the speed gets up there.

DSC_0010-L.jpg

Dry run. Time for filling the spirals then prime and paint.

DSC_0005-L.jpg

I flew it this weekend at NYPower and it flew great. I would have flown it more than once but I lost the shunt for the altimeter. Note to self, order more. I put it up on a G126 White Thunder to an altitude of 3453 feet in more wind that I'd have cared for. It arched over into the wind and took a fair bit out of it's altitude.

Here is the avbay with the Pnut on one side and the Marshall transmitter on the other.

DSC_0006-L.jpg

DSC_0002-L.jpg

Now I am wrestling with my first problem. Since I am using a payload bay, the rocket will have a coupler. I know the whole speed of paper thing mostly comes down to the strength of the coupler. Since LOC doesn't make a stiffy for the 38mm coupler, I am considering filling it with expanding foam to strengthen the coupler by preventing it from buckling.

You've already foamed your coupler but for future reference...my LOC Aura base tube fin rocket also has a payload bay constructed of the standard LOC coupler material (no Stiffy) and I have had no issues with it.

Edit: I neglected to mention that my av bay is a K&S Rocketry kit (no Stiffy) and no problems with it either.

BTW, very nice work on your Aura. I like the av-bay you built.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments guys. It was a fun build.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Great build, it looks awesome! I know you have a $600 dollar Tx:eyepop:, which Rx do you own. I have an older Marshall Rx and I love it, it has payed for itself already.

Back