LOC 7.675" IRIS Build. 12 Feet of Cardboard, Wood and Plastic goodness.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a -LOT- of faith in that tape.

Probably just my paranoia talking, but slip, off-center, whack the cup right out of my hand and onto something expensive.
There's a good amount of super glue holding that dowel under the tape. It was really just holding the dowel in place while it set.

Braden

Tip- Use sanding sealer on the inside of the BT compartments, seals up everything nicely preventing warping and allowing moisture to get in, also helps to protect the BT from the BP charge. I usually get one of those throw away brushes and cut the handle off so I can fit it in the BT to brush.

Welcome back from the dead, paper Iris thread.

I decided to glass it!
20210917_131128.jpg

Adding a little extra beef to the airframe never hurt, and it'll still be much lighter than my G12 one was!

Another cool tidbit about this kit, too. For those who don't know, the LOC/Precision crew recently purchased PML. So, they sent me a new composite nosecone for this beast!

Braden

Attachments

• 20210917_131128.jpg
    20210917_131128.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here's a video showing how I fiberglassed the airframes. This was my first time doing an airframe this large and it came out pretty decent!

Braden

Nice video. You mentioned 600 grit for post primer sanding, but what grit do you start the flatting out process with? Do you sand progressively? Depending on how rough the seams and nibs are I have started 'glassed or CF'd tubes off with as low as 80 grit, but just focussing on getting the seams flat (usually with my orbital) then do 120 all over before moving up through 240 etc etc

Nice video. You mentioned 600 grit for post primer sanding, but what grit do you start the flatting out process with? Do you sand progressively? Depending on how rough the seams and nibs are I have started 'glassed or CF'd tubes off with as low as 80 grit, but just focussing on getting the seams flat (usually with my orbital) then do 120 all over before moving up through 240 etc etc
I sanded the tubes with 220 on a palm sander before I started spraying them.

20210924_185823.jpg

Braden

Why sand at all? I watched a video on LOC’s website and they advocate using Mylar film to roll the wetted tube in. Work out the air bubbles and let dry. Looks paint perfect when it’s done.

Why sand at all? I watched a video on LOC’s website and they advocate using Mylar film to roll the wetted tube in. Work out the air bubbles and let dry. Looks paint perfect when it’s done.
I didn't have any mylar, nor the time to wait for it to be delivered. I have used it before and while it does come out much better than this, it still needs sanding. Anything that's getting paint needs sanded, really.

Braden

Last edited:
Branden may ask you which is the technique that you use to remove the other skin of the LOC tube? In your video looks so easy! I tried a bit and the only way that partially work is to cut along the spirals with an precision knife and then lift off a corner and start to peel. However I end up often to pull several small pieces rather then a nice continuous strip. Thank you and I really enjoy your videos!

Here's what I learned by doing three fiberglass tube projects last year: a byproduct of using the mylar method to get a smooth tube is that you have to use quite a bit more epoxy resin to fill in the weave completely, with the resultant weight increase, to get the smooth tubes that you see in the videos. Air bubbles are also much more common and problematic to solve. The key to using the mylar wrap and getting a good, tight wrap and a smooth tube is having a large enough table surface that you can use to press and roll the mylar on.

Branden may ask you which is the technique that you use to remove the other skin of the LOC tube? In your video looks so easy! I tried a bit and the only way that partially work is to cut along the spirals with an precision knife and then lift off a corner and start to peel. However I end up often to pull several small pieces rather then a nice continuous strip. Thank you and I really enjoy your videos!
I feel like I got relatively lucky and it came off super easy. Just gotta get peelin!

Here's the finished paint!
IMG_20211013_202218_296.jpg

Braden

Here's a video showing how I fiberglassed the airframes. This was my first time doing an airframe this large and it came out pretty decent!

Braden

I just watched this video last night, great info, thanks!

rocket looks great!

Wanna build a scale Booster for it ?

Dave F.

Attachments

• booster_bandw.jpg
    booster_bandw.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 10
  • booster_color.jpg
    booster_color.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IRIS (2).jpg
    IRIS (2).jpg