Loc 4 Jolly Logic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InvertedMomentum

Reaction score
I recently got my Junior L-1 Certification with an H motor and I’m thinking about flying higher with an I motor, but I’m worried about it drifting far away. I have a jolly logic chute release and I was wondering if it would work and, if so, how reliable is it for high power? I'm also setting up duel deployment for the Loc 4, so should I just wait and use the duel deployment?

Attachments

• F2A7DFF3-DBBD-4773-B350-A3D6EBF7A701.jpeg
    F2A7DFF3-DBBD-4773-B350-A3D6EBF7A701.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 12
I have had a JLCR for a few years. Works great. Some advice. Remember to turn it on before flight. Use a hair scrunchy or a silicone band instead of the rubber band. I use the silicone bands. Some times the rubber band sticks to the chute. Silicone is slicker and stronger. They also come in different sizes. Remember that the rocket is falling quickly so set the altitude high enough that the chute has time to open. I use 500' and 600'. A light rocket you can bring lower. A heavy rocket higher. Hope this helps.

I have had a JLCR for a few years. Works great. Some advice. Remember to turn it on before flight. Use a hair scrunchy or a silicone band instead of the rubber band. I use the silicone bands. Some times the rubber band sticks to the chute. Silicone is slicker and stronger. They also come in different sizes. Remember that the rocket is falling quickly so set the altitude high enough that the chute has time to open. I use 500' and 600'. A light rocket you can bring lower. A heavy rocket higher. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll certainly keep that in mind

I have flown JLCR on 18" to 48" parachutes on up to a J400 motor in up to a 4 inch several pound rocket

1. I did have a period where the parachute would pull out of rubber band at apogee - long walk
2. A MUST that you watch the JL youTube tutorial on folding the chute for JLCR. Once I followed it exactly, chute now does not pull out at apogee
3. Always stress test the rubber band by pulling on it hard between your hands. There are a lot of poor quality rubber bands in the marketplace. Even two of the JL provided rubber bands with the JLCR failed the stress test.
4. ALWAYS test release per the video which assures that the current setup will release. Easy to be lazy here. This will also help you learn what works best for the JLCR.
5. You want the rubber band to be a straight pull out of JLCR across the chute ball. It is tempting to have the JLCR on the edge of the chute ball, but most times this will overload the power of the servo release because of too much side pressure.

I recently got my Junior L-1 Certification with an H motor and I’m thinking about flying higher with an I motor, but I’m worried about it drifting far away. I have a jolly logic chute release and I was wondering if it would work and, if so, how reliable is it for high power? I'm also setting up duel deployment for the Loc 4, so should I just wait and use the duel deployment?

Here's another thread with more info: Jolly Logic Chute Release | The Rocketry Forum

Back