LOC 4" IRIS ready to launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Finally have my LOC 4" IRIS ready to launch. First HPR built after getting out of the hobby 22 years ago. Ground testing completed successfully. Needed 1.5g for primary deployment and .75g for drogue. Main altimeter is Eggtimer Quasar which was ground tested with vacuum chamber and Christmas light bulbs to make sure I put everything together correctly. Backup is Missleworks RRC3. Both are powered by 2S LiPo's with everything mounted to my CAD designed and 3D printed sled.

Unfortunately the clubs around here (N. Texas) both had their launches this past weekend so I'll have to wait almost a month before it's first flight. Which will be on either a J275W or a J315R. Ready to flight weight (minus motor) is 8.8lbs and RockSim says both will take it to around 2900-3000'. That will probably give me time to put together the 4" Madcow Little John as well that I picked up from a member on here.

LOC IRISsm.jpg

Wow! That is a very pretty build! I am relatively new to this and I have not heard of Atlantic Research Corporation. Well, now I know why! It was just a bit before my time. But, I did grow up about a mile from the GSFC in Old Greenbelt, and I know I launched rockets over there somewhere back in the day!

Looks good.
I have the LOC 2.3" IRIS with DD and is one of my favorite rockets.
I did do the black n white fins rather than the red.

Great looking bird and congrats on the flight! I've got one in the build pile. LOC lists the weight of this kit as 5.5lb, do you know why yours came in at nearly 9lb sans motor? If mine's that heavy, I'll need a bigger chute...

Great looking bird and congrats on the flight! I've got one in the build pile. LOC lists the weight of this kit as 5.5lb, do you know why yours came in at nearly 9lb sans motor? If mine's that heavy, I'll need a bigger chute...
I tend to over build mine. Tubes were glassed, booster section was built as "zipperless" and fins glassed tip to tip after fillets. Plus you have the dual altimeters, batteries, switches, sled, etc. This was all just to get back into the hobby, to practice techniques for assembling my L3 rocket, and to make sure it can survive a K motor.
IMG-3676.jpg

I tend to over build mine. Tubes were glassed, booster section was built as "zipperless" and fins glassed tip to tip after fillets. Plus you have the dual altimeters, batteries, switches, sled, etc. This was all just to get back into the hobby, to practice techniques for assembling my L3 rocket, and to make sure it can survive a K motor.
I built my L2 cert rocket with the zipperless design. That was the last DD rocket I built that way. I won't do it again.

Then again, I retired that rocket after 50 flights so it did work well. It did have fiberglass wraps and tip to tip fiberglass and it survived some drogue only landings. The fin can also had no damaged after being dropped 50+ feet from a power line.

Over building isn't a bad thing, it just depends on where and how you fly. Here on the east coast with lower waivers, extra weight allows you to fly bigger motors and stay below the waiver. Out west with the high waivers, minimum diameters, marginal construction, and high flights is probably the way to go.

Do you want it back, or are you willing to risk shredding the rocket to get that extra altitude?

I built my L2 cert rocket with the zipperless design. That was the last DD rocket I built that way. I won't do it again.

Then again, I retired that rocket after 50 flights so it did work well. It did have fiberglass wraps and tip to tip fiberglass and it survived some drogue only landings. The fin can also had no damaged after being dropped 50+ feet from a power line.

Over building isn't a bad thing, it just depends on where and how you fly. Here on the east coast with lower waivers, extra weight allows you to fly bigger motors and stay below the waiver. Out west with the high waivers, minimum diameters, marginal construction, and high flights is probably the way to go.

Do you want it back, or are you willing to risk shredding the rocket to get that extra altitude?
I'm not looking for a maximum performance rocket, I like to keep my low and slow :)

That looks an awful lot like this one.
Thank you for posting this, I was unable to get a shot like this as my camera wasn't set right. After the 1/2 mile walk to recover it (or so it seemed) I really should have adjusted the launch rail angle a little more vertical and adjust the main deployment down to 500' from the 800' it was set at.

Don't suppose you might have a similar shot of my Little John going up as well do you?

conneryc --

I love the IRIS -- I've got a 25-year old 4-inch scratch build IRIS waiting in the loft with a busted fin.

The lower-outer corner of one tip-to-tip Fin broke due to landing on a Rock Pile at Boulder Dry Lake Bed with a heavy Kosdon L-Motor Casing in the tail.

Before the hard landing it would fly REALLY beautifully with any 54 mm Motor that I could stuff in it.

Another Project for another day ...

I do have to say that your Silver Paint looks better than mine EVER did :)

Thanks for the memories :)

Enjoy it and good luck on your Level 3 !

-- kjh

p.s. Is that a camera shroud near the AV-Bay ?

Can you fly it on a 29mm For a really low flight using the LNR adapter?
I would recommend against flying it on anything that small. The biggest 29mm motor is a baby I and would barely have a 6:1 T:W ratio for liftoff. Might go 900', maybe a smidge higher if built very light. But a bird this size will fly better with a bigger motor.

I would recommend against flying it on anything that small. The biggest 29mm motor is a baby I and would barely have a 6:1 T:W ratio for liftoff. Might go 900', maybe a smidge higher if built very light. But a bird this size will fly better with a bigger motor.
Was thinking the same for 8.8 pounds of rocket. Too unsafe/underpowered. Agreed.

Back