LOC 4" Black Brant X L1 Cert Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see you found a motor vendor. I plan on driving up there also but may get there around 11am-11:30am ET? It’s a further drive from chatt. If I were you I’d double check all the recovery harnesses,knots, and chute packing only because it’s your first time doing it. And ask another flyer to check over it before it goes to the RSO table because they may catch an error you didn’t. The RSO may want to see the CP location on the rocket so mark it. I didn’t see any recovery gear photos in this build thread to critique.

I will say with your altitude you’ll have zero problems visually seeing it throughout the flight. I regularly fly to 2500ft. Most importantly have fun! Recovery failure is what generally gets someone on a cert flight. Best of luck to you.

Awesome, hope to see you there. One of our SEDS members, who’s an L3, is coming up with me and he oversaw my simulation and critiqued my build. I do plan on triple checking all recovery points and maybe even doing a deployment test. I did neglect to post recovery pictures on this build thread, sorry about that. Actually, I feel like I neglected to post a lot of the build process.

Essentially: I have a looped end shockcord attached to an eyebolt at top of baffle system and then a nomex blanket on the shock cord. The other end of the shockcord is attached to a quick link with the parachute also on the quick link. All of that is connected to a forward bulkplate with eyebolt in payload bay.

I did mark my CP with tape and my calcluated CG gives me about 2.7 stability Margin. I will mark an official CG at launch.

Good to know my flight will be in sight throughout. A 50” chute is bringing me down at about 15mph on a 7 pound rocket.

Appreciate the tips! I’m thankful I have experienced people coming with me and at the launch. Looking forward to learning and meeting people.

Good luck with the L1 attempt. Good to hear you have been in contact with some other rocketeers, it's a learning process not a destination. Pics, video, stats if you think of it all.

~John

Good luck with the L1 attempt. Good to hear you have been in contact with some other rocketeers, it's a learning process not a destination. Pics, video, stats if you think of it all.

~John

Thanks! I definitely agree that learning is the best part. I knew nothing about rocketry 9 months ago. Will try my best to get as much media I can! If you are there, come say hello.

Welcome to high power! Given the winds today you had an awesome flight man.

I'll add congratulations also! Good looking rocket you had out there today

I regret I didin't have time to introduce myself in person, I got distracted pulling Big SAM out of the neighborhood and catching up with Ryan B

As some of you may have already seen, I received my L1 certification yesterday! Now, story time:

Woke up before the sun rose just to get a head start on the way to Elizabethton, KY. I was lucky enough to have a few friends from SEDS (one who has his L3 and one who also earned his L1 with me) and some family members. Once we got there and started getting ready, I decided an ejection test would be wise to make sure 1.4 grams of BP was enough for the long tubes and baffle system. Chris Short was very helpful and I was able to purchase everything I needed. I was also able to borrow a spent DMS case to hold the BP from fellow flyers. During the ejection test, everything came out great and I decided the standard charge that comes with the I280 would be enough.
93CDFC49-0364-40D8-81C3-7D5A14136B7D.png

Now I was getting excited. I repacked my recovery system and went to work on installing the motor and drilling delay for 10 seconds. Nathan K. was kind enough to let me borrow his Jolly Logic Altimeter 3 to get some data from my flight. Was able to zip tie it to the nose cone and let it be.
Once everything was flight ready, Nathan and I walked up to the RSO for pre flight inspection. Everything was cleared and I was starting to draw a crowd. We had to wait a few minutes for the pads to be clear and the wind to die down, so took the opportunity for a photo.
D3B20E58-FA00-4C4D-868A-A804170C609B.jpeg

After we got the rocket on the rails, igniter installed, and ran back up the hill to the flight line, remembered I totally forgot to plug the power cord back into the box. So I ran all the way back down and up the hill to plug it back in. After I was entirely out of breath, a crowd watching, and cameras raised, the RSO was kind enough to let me announce the launch and press the ignition.
8CD5272F-FFE8-42FD-8149-EC4CD1ECFDB1.png

The launch went off without a hitch. It was quite windy, but the rocket went straight up. Man that dark matter is a pretty propellant! The 10 second delay was perfect and popped right at apogee. Rocket started coasting towards a near by field, but we had eyes on it the whole way down.
A23F69BF-D336-4344-BBB4-0D17D4A1A8EB.jpeg

Rocket landed probably .25 ish miles away in a creek. Parachute was covered in water and the top part of the rocket was a little wet. Thankfully Nathan's altimeter was dry. Also, there was a pond probably 20 feet away that I missed by a thread. Everything looked in tact and Nathan gave me the all clear and said I had earned my L1!
A32909D4-635E-4F2F-846C-007E79593449.jpeg 54DC3277-EF9A-46BC-A0C2-4086CE37A973.jpeg 2FFC1DA7-89DC-4767-9CC2-25E8B40F22C8.jpeg

After later inspection, the parts that got wet will be fine and I should be able to get another flight and hopefully use this as my L2 bird. I have no doubt this could handle a J or even a K. Also, turns out the altimeter software was not updated to the latest software, so it failed to record any data. However, I would assume the simulation was right on at 2400 feet.

To conclude this journey, I just want to say thank you to everyone that helped me during this process. I learned alot and I truly did appreciate all the input and support throughout. L2 will be next ;)

Great photos!

Will you refly on a J/K or reach for a new challenge for L2?

Thanks! I will most likely take the exam, and just put a J250 or something like that in it and call it a day. That would be the most cost effective and it could handle it. On the other extreme, I have a friend that is offering to sell me a Go devil 54 for cheap. I do know that my next build will most likely be fiberglass just for the durability/peace of mind.

Also I am happy to report that I stayed relatively close to my budget! As some of you may remember, I set aside $300 out the door cost for my L1 certification. Here is what my bill looks like:

NAR Membership- $25.00
LOC BBX Kit- $140.55
Nomex Blanket- $12.39
BSI Epoxy- $22.93
38mm Adaptor- $15.94
Paint- $16.16
I280DM Motor- $69.99
DAT Tool- $9.99
BP- $25.00
Igniters- $2.00

Total- $339.95

I think that is pretty dang close to the budget and if you account for the items that I can reuse and if I choose to use this kit for my L2, that makes everything even better.

NAR, epoxy, DAT, adapter, all of those are distributable costs, so you're under budget in my book!

Ah, the J270. Faithful baby J motor. Well, you know your rocket can take it!

My challenge question for ya: If you go that route for your L2 and get your card, what will you have learned? :cool:

Keep flying and good luck!

Congratulations... that model is beautiful !!

I know all to well what that must have felt like seeing it so close to the water.

I had to fish one of the flights of my SA-14 Archer out of a pond ! Followed by cutting a hole in the body to get the trapped water out.

My challenge question for ya: If you go that route for your L2 and get your card, what will you have learned? :cool:

Very true. Getting into electronics and dual deployment is definitely something that is on my to do list and something that is almost necessary for L3. I will have to weigh the pro's and con's when that time comes.
Congratulations... that model is beautiful !!

I know all to well what that must have felt like seeing it so close to the water.

I had to fish one of the flights of my SA-14 Archer out of a pond ! Followed by cutting a hole in the body to get the trapped water out.

Thanks! A simple wind gust is what stood between me and that scenario (yikes). Thankfully the little bit of mud scraped off and the softened tubes dried back up. If it really is a concern, I can reinforce the trouble spots. Parachute has been hanging in the shower to dry

Congratulations on your flight. I'm about to build the same model and your story is helpful. I see you chose to build the fin assembly and cut into the body tube to get the fins in. I'm inclined to do the same.

Congratulations on your flight. I'm about to build the same model and your story is helpful. I see you chose to build the fin assembly and cut into the body tube to get the fins in. I'm inclined to do the same.
I appreciate it! This is a great kit and definitely stands out amongst a crowd. My decision to slide the whole MMT and fins into the airframe as one unit was actually stemmed from the instructions LOC provided. It allows for a stronger bond and internal fillets. The only downside is the body tube can warp a little. I fixed that by attaching clamps while waiting for epoxy to cure (pictured). Best of luck on your build!

Finally getting around to building this one. I notice in the instructions there is an eyebolt attached to the forward ring of the motor assembly, as well as the baffle section that attaches to the bottom of the middle body tube. What would be the function of the bolt below the baffle, since the zip cord is going to be attached to the top of the baffle section and the bottom of the payload section?

Back