Loadstar II Failure and Crash (REPAIRED)

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Fred Garvin, Aug 18, 2013.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Aug 24, 2013 #31

rocketron1948

rocketron1948

rocketron1948

Last week I flew my Warp II which is identical to the Loadstar with different decals. It had a C6-0 booster and B6-6 for the upper stage. The 2nd stage failed to ignite and it coresampled. It looked like the booster engine spit out of the booster before the 2nd stage could ignite. I didn't secure the booster engine tight enough with masking tape. It started to weathercock shortly after lift-off. The payload section was severely damaged. I wrote Estes Customer Service and they sent me a Loadstar kit free of charge. They are great in that respect. I don't think the 18 mm. engines provide enough boost. I wish Estes still made the B14-0 or a more powerful C booster. I'm thinking about going with 24 mm. mounts in both the booster and the sustainer on my rebuild. I have flown the Warp II a few other times with limited success.

Rocketron

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  2. Aug 24, 2013 #32

mwtoelle

mwtoelle

mwtoelle

Flying since 1977

I have had no problems flying my Warp II with the recommended motors. I also tape my motors together with one wrap of cellophane tape. Generally, it is a bad idea to fly multistage model rockets if there is any wind over 5 MPH. Considering that Estes shows the empty weight of the Warp II at 2.83 oz., it is going to be relatively slow off the pad in any two stage motor combo. I did change the 1/8" lugs for 3/16" to reduce rod whip.

3. Aug 31, 2013 #33

Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin

Male Strumpet

UPDATE:

The Loadstar II has been repaired and is once again ready for flight!

HUGE THANKS to Goldlizard, who generously sent an extra transition piece and payload tube! Just what I needed to repair the Loadstar II.

LSRepair1.jpg

Back in flying form with the little Apollo Guy riding along:

LSRepair2.jpg

But wait....there's another....who's this little guy hitching a ride on a rocket?

LSRepair3.jpg

:wink:

Back among the Fleet:

LSRepair4.jpg

This time, I'll secure the payload better and single stage it....knock out the NARTREK Silver Payload Flight first.....THEN work on some 2 staged flights....

4. Aug 31, 2013 #34

nute

nute

nute

Looking good!
    good luck with that NARTREK payload!

5. Sep 1, 2013 #35

goldlizard

goldlizard

goldlizard

A HUGH YOUR WELCOME, Good luck on NARTREK Silver Payload Flight!!!
    I hope my Grey Alien Adds a bit of luck on the flight!
    Fly 'em high and straight!!!