LL Electronics Transmitter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshmel

Reaction score
I just received an XLF6 made in a custom frequency of 222.990 MHz (maybe not though, more on that later) for use with my ComSpec R-300A receiver. Rather than a "pure tone" beeping sound from the speaker (like I hear when using a ComSpec AT-2B transmitter), the sound is a raspy, distorted, noisy, clicking type of sound. It is kinda like a blip of low spectrum white noise with a 200 millisecond duration (give or take).

Question for LL Electronics users who use an LL transmitter with an LL receiver: What do you hear from your receiver? A tone or a distorted clicking sound?

Question for anyone (anyone?) using an LL transmitter with a Com-Spec receiver: What do you hear?

As far as the transmit frequency, the packing slip invoice says 222.995 MHz (not the 222.990 that I ordered - corresponding to channel 299).

Wondering if the 5000 Hz difference (if indeed the transmitter was made to the wrong frequency) would impact the sound heard from the receiver.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I track radio tagged wildlife in the 160 MHz range and a .005 MHz can make a big difference in the tone I hear, from a "chirp" to a "clunk"!

I would give them a call. The WOOSH club members have a number of them. I can't say I ever heard them say there is any difference.

That could make a difference in the sound you hear. I would contact them, and explain that you did not receive the frequency you requested.

Thanks. I sent an email to LL Electronics. This is uncharted waters for me.

I also ordered a smaller LF-2G Special from them for my smaller rockets. Talked to the lady that answered the phone and she convinced me to add the 5 Khz to the frequency I ordered, makes it easier to tune to the null. I haven't received it yet, but she said when I do to call her back and she will walk me through the tuning process. I have been using the Com-spec RX for about five years and never knew that you should tune to the null with the lower left knob marked "TUNE". Makes the receiver more sensitive, giving you better range. You should be able to tune in your AT-2B transmitters also, but it's harder because they are set to a zero for the last digit.

Last edited:
No matter what you do, you need to do a range check. You should be hearing whatever the maker says you should be hearing. If it's a beep, you need to be hearing the beep and not a click. Some makers use SSB or CW mode on their trackers to extend the range and tune their proprietary receivers accordingly. I have a Com-Spec tracker I can
hear with a nice beeping sound on a Kenwood Th-F6A on the B band using USB or CW mode. By tweaking the fine tune feature, I can get the best signal sound. Then again,
I haven't done a good range test yet so whether or not this is a good combination is "up in the air" for now. Kurt

Back