Little paper helicopters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
has anyone ever made those little paper helicopters before? All you have to do is cut a piece of paper about 1.5" wide and maybe 2.5-3" long, and cut it into thirds. But dont cut them apart. just cut them so the slot goes to about half an inch before the end of the paper. Then put 5 or 6 staples, or one small paper clip on the end of the middle one, and fold the outer two in opposite directions, and toss it into the air. It makes a really cool little helicopter. Sometime at a CMASS launch I am going to put a dozen of the things inside my Forte and have them announce over the loudspeaker that the kids may catch the helicopters. Kinda like a candy drop only no candy, just little paper toys. They always want to catch rockets, but they are not allowed to. This should make it a little more fun for them! ;) If you build em right you can get a decent rate of under 3 FPS! It might be fun to try to make a recovery device out of one of these for featherweight models. They would proabably burn, though. They are really fun, so I thought I would just post how to make them. Especially if you have a blowgun.... I have these little clay pellets that I can use to shoot them out of the air with. It would work with a straw, too. Just roll a little bit of clay or tinfoil into a small ball and put it into the straw, and blow. Real blowguns are MUCH more fun because you can get fiberoptic sights, barrel extentions and all that. I suppose an airgun might also work if you found a way to drop it in front of the target from a ways away. Maybe just a string that you could pull to make it go up and off of the string, and float down, and when it is in front of the haybail or whatever you are using open fire. You would need a pretty big pile of haybails for it to be safe, though. I would reccomend a straw-blowgun. Also try throwing one into a cloud of dust. That makes a really cool sight. It makes it all go swirly.

That is a cool idea Neil. Those would be cool to watch coming down. And, I like the idea of trying to create a feather-wieght recovery system. Similar to helecopter recovery. But instead of having the blades attached to the outside, they would be attached to a rod inside. The rod would be attached to the model by a shock cord assembly. The helecopter blades would be spring loaded to extend when ejected. Hmmm....

Regards,
Todd

No need to spring-load em. Just shove em in there. they have a nice habit of opening up just right even after you have them in a tube or something. Do you think I should make all the helicopters different colors or something for when I fly them out of rockets?

This is just like a paper airplane I like to build- a flying wing. I am going to put one of these in my mean machine and see what kind of duration I can get.

I was thinking about getting a blowgun too, what do your recommend? I was looking at a paintball repeater, but that's pretty much one use.

I would go with a 2-piece 48" bunker buster, since they discontinued the kind that I have. Real pity. Those were good blowguns. Go here

The bunker busters and the sidewinders both look pretty good. Have fun.

I suppose you could stuff a rocket full of little army men with parachutes too for kids to chase and catch....paint one a different color than the rest and that one wins a prize......

But those cost money. I have plenty of paper. I could have a "kid who gets the orange wins" contest or something. If I did it right after holoween I could have a prize of Twizzelers. I hate those things. Very disgusting if you ask me. Other kids seem to like em, though.

Well, those are cheaper than the paintball ones that I can find at Cabela's! I just may have to get one. My brother shot a squirrel with one once and it ran off with his dart stuck in its leg.

Blue

Thats cruelty to animals! Hope he got in big trouble for THAT! Your not supposed to shoot animals, pets, or other people with blowguns. Only targets. Gotta go set up our X-mas tree. Talk to you later. -Neil

Your not supposed to shoot animals, pets, or other people with blowguns.

So...if they don't have a blowgun you can shoot them??

Cruelty to animals...not when it comes to squirels...they are fair game...they're vermin!

sandman

LOL. Thats NOT what I meant. Your not supposed use a blowgun to shoot people, animals or pets. Vermin or not vermin, if it isnt cruelty to animals, it is at least not very ethical if you ask me. Unless the squirrel was threatining you with a knife or somehting.... At the very least it is/should be frowned upon. Just my 2 cents.

another cool thing ive tried to do (never worked but tried) is with a very low altitude rocket...

you need to know how to make matchbook shooters... u know lol... take a peice of tinfoil on a match head and heat it up...

i had a little r2d2 half a rocket that went only like 70 feet lol... i put some of the little matchbook shooters on em... one lit... the others just got burnt through the tinfoil... fun enough...

Neil, that incident was about 15 years ago so I'm not sure what the regualtions were then. Now, stun darts aren't illegal to shoot squirrels with are they?

go out to ohio... you see a squirrel there its most likely road kill or has 20 bb's in it from the kid down the block... its nasty crap...

Huh. 15 years ago... Guess you cant get mad at him for something he did 15 years ago, but still, not good at all. theres a big difference between a stun dart and a dart dart. if you miss with a dart, it sticks into its leg or something, if you miss with a stun dart it bounces *relatively* harmlessly away. With the real dart the poor thing would be in pain for the rest of its life unless it found a way to get it out. Personnaly I would not shoot a squirrel with either.

Yea, I would probably just target shoot like I do with archery. It's just as fun as hunting, my friend and I have archery contests all the time in our backyard. If you're not supposed to shoot people with blowguns, would paintball be legal?

you can shoot people with blow guns... just low powered ones... oh god wats that site... ill ask my friend... they have replica m16's and uzzi automatic blow shooters and bb guns...

Well, you obviously could use them for paintball wars if you had all those helmets, pads etc. Just not darts. That would kinda hurt.

wanna experience pain then have your friend shoot a p shooter in your eye lol :p

while were on this topic why not use this smiley... :kill:

yeowch. Back to the REAL topic of the thread, has anyone managed to make any of the helicopters? It sometimes helps to make them a little long and leggy.

yea lol we kinda got off topic...

i just thought if i spring load a nosecone on my serno payload and have nosecone pop and the nosecone have a chopper recovery, and stuff the payload full of those lil choppers thad be cool...

way too complicated for my mind but cool...

alright i gotta finish my hw lol...

Too bad we don't have many young kids at the KCAR launches... I could do that for a prize of a Quark or something like that...

little kids always get excited at my park... ill launch some rockets i know that'll work for shure (no experimentals) and let them race for it or something like that...

There are some kids down here sledding, I was wanting to go down and launch some Estes stuff but I can't find my 1/8" rod... :(

lol i got snow up here... and i kinda just lost $200 worth of small engines and crap... argg...

Howdja loose $200 worth o stuff? By the way, why is Dremmel evil?? Just curious. I was considering getting a Dremmel tool, but just wanted to make sure there is nothing wrong with them. Is it bad customer service?

hey Neil;

I used to build those little copters too. Last year, I put 6 of them in my Fat Boy for my nephews, and they all drifted into the trees. I never tried it again, but it would probably work fine if you only went to 200-300 ft. I've done the small parachute men too, and once they blew out I couldn't see them anymore. Again, I probably just went too high. Back then I didn't see any point in using A or B motors when you could use a C.
So, if you do it, definately use some colored paper, make alot of them, and keep it rather low. Maybe a Fat Boy on a B6 would work well. Also use plenty of wadding.

slim

1. we had to renovate my basement and i put all my engines in a rather large box that somehow went missing... sucks eh?

2. ive almost lost my eyesight twice to the dremmel bits flying off the **** thing... other than that though it helps alot actually...

what about safety goggles? Were you wearing safety goggles? I have my cat standing on my back right now, so it is kinda hard to type. OOOOW!! He just jumped of... silly cat...

Back