Little more depth on adding nose weight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably going to be focusing on larger fiberglass builds in the future and my scheme will probably involve anchoring interchangeable weights at the front of the nosecone avionics bay. Just not sure 100% what it will look like till I'm in the middle of designing it. First thing's first. L2 attempt this Saturday at the TripoliMoKan launch site :)
There was a day I would agree with you. When rocketry warehouse sold FG kits at a great price. Like a few hundred and shipping with 25 bucks. Now its like double that. And shipping is 20% the price of the kit. So alas those prices, of course, are long gone. Still I have my Sublime and Formula 38, 54, 75, and 98's. My L2 advice is not like most. I used a simple rocket and motor eject. All I wanted to prove is I could build a paper and wood rocket that would not shred on a J275. Which I did. All these others want to complicate it. I decided complicated would come AFTER I got my L2. And I've never launched anything bigger than a K550 (or maybe a CTI C-Star... I fergit).

There was a day I would agree with you. When rocketry warehouse sold FG kits at a great price. Like a few hundred and shipping with 25 bucks. Now its like double that. And shipping is 20% the price of the kit. So alas those prices, of course, are long gone. Still I have my Sublime and Formula 38, 54, 75, and 98's. My L2 advice is not like most. I used a simple rocket and motor eject. All I wanted to prove is I could build a paper and wood rocket that would not shred on a J275. Which I did. All these others want to complicate it. I decided complicated would come AFTER I got my L2. And I've never launched anything bigger than a K550 (or maybe a CTI C-Star... I fergit).
I would, in general, agree with that philosophy. If I were going to do it over I would prolly have done a 6-8" tube. I'm simming 3800 ft and our field has quite a few trees in range of the launch area so the electronics on mine are mainly to mitigate it falling into a cattle tank or a patch of woods.
Price of diesel goes up then everything goes up with it. I'm hoping get the L2 on my carboard birdie then switch to FG for my next rocket. I want to make a toy for Black Rock.

let us know how it goes
Launched yesterday. Still recovering from all the driving and walking and crawling under barbed-wire fences, lol.

Aside from some trouble with my Easy-mini everything went perfect. So perfect in fact that the flight was almost boring :D

Over 3500 feet, rocket silhouette was easy to pick out and I was happy that I took the time to spray clearcoat. Even on the dark rocket it was glinting in the sun like a piece of tinfoil. The J270 pushed it over 320MPH according to my flight data. Nose and payload section stayed pretty clear of the rest of the rocket on descent and opened up the main chute at 400' without any tangling issues. I ended up with only the cert motor as the other hasn't been delivered yet, so just one flight and helping another guy hunt for his L1 attempt in a sorghum field. He eventually found it before we shut down and got his cert.

He mentioned to me about needing to get into dual deploy and getting a jolly logic. I told him maybe try building for lower altitude launches as much as possible too, specially on cert flights. I'm sure he got every bit of a mile on a small 2" rocket for his attempt with single chute recovery and it was windy.

Back