Little John close-up photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Does anyone have closeup detail photos of a full-size Little John? There are several photos on the web, but they are all at very low resolutions. I realize that there are a large number of minor variants prior to the fielding of this missile, but any high res photos of any pre-production variant with the delta cruciform fins like the version from Madcow will be fine.

Anyone who wants close-up scale detail photos of Nike-Ajax and Nike-Hercules please let me know exactly what you want and I'll email them to you.

Here's a nice video of the prep and launch of the eventually fielded version with the rectangular fins. The pre-launch spinning comes from a simple wind-up spring mechanism. Betcha' didn't know that the Army likes its rockets painted pink! Actually, I'm sure it was painted red and the film's red dye component has faded over time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL-g8iekmIU

Here's a description of the on-rail spin thing:

"Unlike the Honest John rocket system, where the spin is initiated by the
spin rockets after the round leaves the launcher, the Little John rocket is
stabilized by imparting spin to the rocket while on the launcher, just prior
to firing. This method of stabilization is known as the saucer concept,
'spin-on-straight-rail' (SOSR).

Prior to firing, a flat coil spring mounted under the rear of the launching
rail (fig 15) is wound 8½ complete turns. The spring is released when the
lanyard is pulled, turning a drive shaft which rotates a pinion gear meshed
with teeth of a ring gear attached to the rocket nozzle. When the rocket
reaches a spin rate of 3½ revolutions per second (rps), inertial switches
attached to two thermocell batteries close a relay and provide power for
activating the igniter for firing.

As the spinning rocket clears the rail, the front shoe is ejected and the
rear shoe retracts up within the fin barrel on the rear of the rocket. The fins
are canted to maintain this initial spin."

BTW, thanks for all of the on-line photo source suggestions but I'd already found all of those. Believe me, I spent a lot of time searching already. I was hoping someone might have personal photos from a museum visit like mine of the Nike missiles that are local to me.

BTW, thanks for all of the on-line photo source suggestions but I'd already found all of those. Believe me, I spent a lot of time searching already. I was hoping someone might have personal photos from a museum visit like mine of the Nike missiles that are local to me.

I live near White Sands. Someone else here (H_Rocket) has been bugging to go out to the missile park to take some photos and measurements of another rocket. If I get out there soon, I'll take a few close ups of the the Little John.

This is the Little John at the White Sands Missile Park. These pictures were taken during the NSL 2010 visit to White Sands.

Pictures are by Rickii Pyatt.

LittleJohn1.jpg

LittleJohn2.jpg

LittleJohn3.jpg

LittleJohn4.jpg

I live near White Sands. Someone else here (H_Rocket) has been bugging to go out to the missile park to take some photos and measurements of another rocket. If I get out there soon, I'll take a few close ups of the the Little John.

Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated!

This is the Little John at the White Sands Missile Park. These pictures were taken during the NSL 2010 visit to White Sands.

Pictures are by Rickii Pyatt.

Thanks, Mack. Those are much better than anything available on-line.

The version of Little John that I'm particularly interested in is the one pictured here:

https://www.postwarv2.com/littleJohn/js640_andrey_little_john_03.jpg

and here:

https://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/mgr-3-1.jpg

I like the very "military look" of the rectangular fin attachment(?) hardware and the longitudinal cylindrical (flare?) pods at the trailing edge of each fin.

Anyone seen that version on display anywhere? I just emailed the web site owner to see if he has a higher res version of that photo and any other of that particular version.

I believe that one is located at Yuma, AZ. I think the pods are for antenna mounts on some of the test articles.
Thanks for that lead. The antenna mount idea is probably correct. I wish I could find a detailed technical development history on the LJ. I can't find any on the net. I suspect it's because it was just a relatively simple unguided ballistic missile and nothing "fancy" enough to hold interest over time. The age of the program only adds to the difficulty in finding extensive tech info. That's unfortunate since I think it's a _great_ looking rocket that's possible to fly in true scale rather than sport scale.

Thanks for that lead. The antenna mount idea is probably correct. I wish I could find a detailed technical development history on the LJ. I can't find any on the net. I suspect it's because it was just a relatively simple unguided ballistic missile and nothing "fancy" enough to hold interest over time. The age of the program only adds to the difficulty in finding extensive tech info. That's unfortunate since I think it's a _great_ looking rocket that's possible to fly in true scale rather than sport scale.

If you happen to find any information eventually, there are a few of us that would love copies.
:D

It's worth a HAG Burger!

I had seen a line drawing of the Little John which showed a short boattail. However, none of the photos I have found show the boattail. Is the line drawing incorrect, or is it depicting an uncommon variant?

This version is on display at the Ft Sill Museum -- not sure if this is the one you are looking for...I have a few close ups in high res...PM me if you want them

DSC_3924MR.jpg

DSC_3926MR.jpg

Finally I Have Found a hi res picture of it, now a scale build. made a stop SDAM museum couple years ago. My camera had died that day. I have looked a long time for lettering /markings on this rocket.

Attachments

• littlejohnhires (1).jpg
    littlejohnhires (1).jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 134
Does anyone have information about the thickness of the prototype Little John's clipped delta fins? I've tried scaling them from photos of the red-nosed White Sands display, but that's kinda rough. Would love to see actual measurements of the thickest points at the root and tip.

Does anyone have information about the thickness of the prototype Little John's clipped delta fins? I've tried scaling them from photos of the red-nosed White Sands display, but that's kinda rough. Would love to see actual measurements of the thickest points at the root and tip.
According to Peter Alway's data, from "14 Missiles of the Cold War", the Root Thickness is 1.00" and the Tip Thickness is .625" . . . The Fin Span, according to the same source is 5.00".

Dave F.

1686868970582.png

1686869095576.png

1686869224980.png

1686869350950.png

I have a PDF of the drawing I think you're referring to. Based on the length of the fins in the end view where those dimensions are indicated, I assumed those figures applied to the small, rectangular fins of the deployed version that's unstable as a model rocket without extreme nose weight. I was hoping for something specifically tied to the prototype clipped delta fins.

Thanks for the additional detail pics. I can probably scale that last one in AutoCAD and get something from it more reliable than what I have so far.

Back