List your 3 favorite material (non-living) items/products in life.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3 world class items I have:

1. Stereo Integrity 18" Subwoofer
2. Winston 7wt. Fly Rod
3. Getzen Eterna customized trumpet

thinking about all my stuff, the things that have true value to me are legacy things; gifts and mementos, like the ring my wife gave me, the penn spinning combo my daughter gave me, or the little joe II my son searched for endlessly and bought me. as for the stuff i bought myself that rocks, i can't claim any world class stuff, but i have a really sweet gretsch 420, black, which though entry level as far as gretsch goes, i still don't deserve. i also cherish my mid 80s fender del mar acoustic six, which has been beaten on pretty regular for close to 40 years, seen more smoke than snoop dogg's driver, been left in a car without a case in every environment and temperature, and still stays.in.tune. thing has more lacquer on it than a chinese restaurant's decor. i swear you could use it as a canoe oar to get to the campsite then play it at the fire. love that axe.

My 90 gallon salt water reef aquarium (I gave it up for rockets I couldn't afford 2 hobbies and a set of twins)

My cast iron cookware.

and last but certainly not least ...

My rockets (built and unbuilt)

1) My old rock climbing photos and marked up guide books.

2) My fishing boat which provides hours and hours of pure bliss.

3) My crab float personalized and signed by the late Phil Harris

Cars, electronics (specific flagships from the last 40 years and about 80 md players, and yes, i have a Qualia 017), and guns. Im grateful hard work and trying to put money away at every turn has allowed me such pursuits. Can you think of three more expensive hobbies?

Teapot gets it, i really want an FNX45, but for now i'll settle for my sbr'd ps90 and truly delightful Five-seveN. Love my gen2 RPR in 6.5cm. I really enjoy building ARs, a really nice home built AR (or the ability to do so) is a point of pride.Next up is a good airbrush and compressor for cerakote work (and if im good... business?), but thats another, im sure very well established, thread.

edit - Gave it more thought, after recent events that landed me in the hospital as well as watching 2 different friends get progressively less mobile due to MS, good mobility is probably a "favorite" thing.

Last edited:
1) Our bikes
2) Our largest Suitcase because this means we're traveling
3) The Garland ISD Natatorium because that is where I get to watch the boys swim the most

My glasses. Without them, the rest of the world does not exist (at least nothing beyond 6" past the end of my nose).

My bed and pillow. I seem to be spending a lot of time either in bed or sleeping*. The mattress is nothing special; the pillow is. This is not some fluffy, down-filled, sleep-on-a-cloud. It's more like a sandbag. And heavy. The only pillow I know that could cause concussions in a pillow fight.

My book collection. I've got an estimated several thousand paperbacks (mostly science fiction). Plus several dozen hardbacks and textbooks/reference books. I've given a lot away (ie. Heinlein), and the older books are getting hard to replace. I've got four nieces, and each has received a "starter kit" of 25-30 books, tailored to their interests.

*sleeping is getting to be one of my favorite hobbies. It doesn't take any training, everyone can do it, and it doesn't take much in the way of special equipment.

My glasses. Without them, the rest of the world does not exist (at least nothing beyond 6" past the end of my nose).

My bed and pillow. I seem to be spending a lot of time either in bed or sleeping*. The mattress is nothing special; the pillow is. This is not some fluffy, down-filled, sleep-on-a-cloud. It's more like a sandbag. And heavy. The only pillow I know that could cause concussions in a pillow fight.

My book collection. I've got an estimated several thousand paperbacks (mostly science fiction). Plus several dozen hardbacks and textbooks/reference books.

*sleeping is getting to be one of my favorite hobbies. It doesn't take any training, everyone can do it, and it doesn't take much in the way of special equipment.
I just counted up and I only have six books to my name.
When it comes to sleeping, it is my number one archenemy. With my physical condition I just cannot get comfortable and I tend to sleep only in 3 to 4 hours at a time so being on top of the physical exhaustion I am mentally exhausted as well, and then when I do sleep, it’s the worlds dumbest things.

In no particular order...

1) My smartphone. (Am I the first to mention this?) I'm not a teen who Instagrams 24/7/365, but it simply amazes me at how useful it is... communications, camera, entertainment, information, photos, TRF, etc.
2) My savings. Yes, it's the epitome of "material", but for me it's a cumulation of decades of super hard work, high stress and saving after growing up poor. It allows me to enjoy some hobbies while also having a safety net. It can also help my daughter who has ASD.
3) My house. Many happy memories and more to come. I'm leaving it to my daughter. ❤️

Back