List of Prohibited "dirty" Words?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

fuzzoli

Reaction score
I was in an established PM with another member and my latest message was blocked due to "possible spam". After slicing and dicing the message and previewing it each time, I discovered I could not use the word o-r-d-e-r (without hyphens) in the message*. I'm assuming that's to discourage private buying and selling? I'm trying to understand if there are certain "dirty" words we're not permitted to use. My day job involves a form of scanning for weak passwords, and the list we use of common passwords or password fragments is kept from our users, so I get it if we, as forum members, aren't permitted to know what those "dirty" words might be.

Thanks!

-Frank

*Full disclosure - the message did contain a price for some hard-to-find parts -- I had purchased a bunch from ebay and was offering some of the extras out at my cost. So hopefully I'm not violating any forum rules by doing that.

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up
Reaction score
Just guessing, but I see you only have 4 posts (including this one) to your name. There's a lot of things that look suspicious when they're done by someone who just joined a forum. Maybe you need to establish a history here, before your PM's are "trusted"? I can't imagine words like this being blocked otherwise.

fuzzoli

Reaction score
That's what I thought too, but a shorter message went through, and the full-length message went through fine as soon as I removed the offending word. Strange. No worries...was just trying to understand.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Probably the combination of : newish account, longer message containing some number of keywords.

I'm guessing essentially it accumulated to a threshold that made the spam-minder anxious.

There are -some- words the forum doesn't like in general, but they're largely taken from fairly standard lists.

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Full disclosure - the message did contain a price for some hard-to-find parts -- I had purchased a bunch from ebay and was offering some of the extras out at my cost. So hopefully I'm not violating any forum rules by doing that.
You don’t have enough post counts to sell items and soliciting items for sale through PMs is highly frowned upon by Admin.

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Why are the Admins monitoring Private Messages?
They are not and they can't read PM's. All I said is they frown about selling stuff through PM's. When one doesn't have high enough post count, some new users have tried solicting other members through PM's. We have only learned about this practice when someone reports it. The yard sale is game for anyone once post count is adequate.

Aslansmonkey

Reaction score
It's likely a combination of things but it's unlikely the PM's are directly involved in such things. Most of these forum sites are based on pre-coded packages with a bunch of generic features and your message was most likely blocked by something determined by the settings of the site. My best guess would be that they don't allow posts that look like "For sale" posts by members with a low overall post count. Such behavior, while occasionally normal, is most likely to be exploited by spammers.

So they want you to have a history on the forum before you post things for sale. This makes it FAR less likely that you're trying to take advantage of members and more likely to be legit.

The system also likely blocks certain language from being used.

Please note, I am NOT an admin on this forum, but I've worked in IT for more years than I care to admit and have a general understanding of how such things work.

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up
Reaction score
I had a software tool set up at work one time to send me automated status emails of some jobs that were being done. These mails usually contained the word "assertion". I noticed one day that I stopped getting these emails, and what I found was that the email systems were inserting a line break at 80 characters, which happened to break up the word "assertion" between the 's' and the 'e', and the stupid email admins had decided to turn on a 'dirty word' filter. I've never seen such a filter that didn't create more problems than it solved.

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
Some of our wizards in security turned on a generic web search filter. It's fun when the word breast is a trigger and you are in a world regarded facility with a large breast cancer program.

Sandy H.

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy DIY audio as another hobby and apparently www.partsexpress.com had to change their website name to www.parts-express.com due to filtering. . . I think this was in the early/mid 2000's.

Also, it seems that if you're on a shared server to host your website/email, people who use Microsoft hosted emails don't get your email if anyone on the server is blacklisted. So, to make sure my business emails get to potential customers, I switched to a Microsoft hosted email. Now I don't get emails from small businesses who use shared hosting, but I believe my emails get to bigger customers. It is lame when a long time customer calls you and says "Why didn't you quote that job" and its the first time you're hearing it. . . spam has ruined email, robo calls have ruined the phone.

Sandy.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Many spammers use the word "order" in their spam. So it's an indicator of possible spam. And all members posts are scanned for spam until they have a certain number of posts. It's a low number and most members do it in one or two days/visits to the forum.

That filter applies to all postings. Public and private. Many spammers just LOVE to post a message to those selling things or wanting things and then at some point we learn about through a reported conversation.

So, you were not picked out or picked on.

MClark

Reaction score
When I worked for Goodrich the filter blocked the company website because it said explosives.