List Of Epoxy Systems.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
I've looked all over the internet for years, trying to find different epoxy systems for different applications. I figured I might as well make a list to help people decide what system works well with their application.

I'll start with the Laminating epoxies:

West Systems 105 (with 206 hardener)
Price (qt): $41.24 for resin, $21.32 for hardener.
TG: 139°F
Tensile Strength: 7,300 Psi
Viscosity: 725 cps

Aeropoxy 2032 with 3660 hardener
Price (Qt): $40.85 (Resin and Hardener)
TG: 196°F
Tensile Strength: 9,828 Psi
Viscosity: 925 cps

US Composites 635 with medium hardener
Price (Qt): $25.75
TG: 150-195°F
Tensile Strength: Unknown
Viscosity: 600 cps

Raka 107 Resin and 608 hardener
Price (Quart) $39.99
TG: Unknown

E-Zpoxy
Price (Qt): $49.99
TG: 151°F
Tensile Strength: 8,100 psi
Viscosity: 800 cps

H212 Laminating Resin
Price (qt): $54.50
TG: 290°F
Tensile Strength: 12,500 psi
Viscosity: Unknown

EZ-Lam epoxy
Price (qt): $50.00
TG: 140°F
Viscosity: 700 cps

Pro-set laminating Resin
Price (qt): $65.00
TG: 170°F
Tensile Strength: 11,600 psi
Viscosity: 696 cps

ACP High temp epoxy system
Price (qt): $50.00
Max use temp: 400°F
Viscosity: 5000 cps

Cotronics 4461
Price (qt): $99.99
Max Temp: 500°F
Tensile Strength: 9,500 psi

Proline 4100
Price (Qt): $45.00
TG: 245°F
Tensile Strength: 10,548 Psi
Viscosity: 800 cps

AdTech 820
Price (Qt): 49.99
TG: 180°F
Tensile Strength: 24,514 Psi
Viscosity: 650 cps

AdTech 336
Price: $89.99
TG: 375°F
Tensile Strength: 9828 psi
Viscosity: 2000 cps

Fibreglast System 2000
Price (qt): $44.95
TG: 196°F
Tensile Strength: 9000 psi
Viscosity: 900 cps

Fibre Glast High Temp Epoxy Resin
Price (qt): $74.95
TG: 272°F
Tensile Strength: 36,500 psi
Viscosity: 1600 cps

That's all I've got for now. I'll be doing structural epoxies in the next post. Let me know if you have some that arn't up here. I'd be happy to add them.

Alex

Last edited:
Bob Smith 5 Minute Epoxy
Price (qt): $66

Aeropoxy ES6209
Price (2 qts): $44
Tensile Strength: 8,000 psi
Viscosity: 45,000 cps

Rocketpoxy G5000
Price (2 qts): $65
TG: 150°F
Tensile Strength: 7500 psi
Viscosity: Paste (unknown)

Proline 4500
Price (2 qts.): $69.00
TG: Unknown (250°F?)

Cotronics 4525
Price (Quart): $99
Max Use Temp: 500°F
Tensile Strength: 10,000 psi
Viscosity: 25,000 cps

I'll add links and more a bit later.

Alex

Last edited:
Haha awesome list, this should be a sticky so people will quickly read this thread and choose their laminating or structural epoxy.

There's the cheapo LHS style "20 Minute Finish Cure" stuff from Bob Smith Industries.
I don't have any of the specs, but it's got "cheap" and "readily available" going for it.

s6

There's the cheapo LHS style "20 Minute Finish Cure" stuff from Bob Smith Industries.
I don't have any of the specs, but it's got "cheap" and "readily available" going for it.

s6

I would amend that to "available in small quantities" rather than "cheap".

Speaking of which, Alex, could you add a unit price (since the sizes you give aren't uniform)?

I would amend that to "available in small quantities" rather than "cheap".

Speaking of which, Alex, could you add a unit price (since the sizes you give aren't uniform)?
Now they are. The only one that was really out of place was the 48oz one, which it turns out is one quart. West systems doesn't sell in kits.

Alex

If we stick every post, the active post will be on page 10.

Bob

Shear or peel strength would be far more applicable in a comparison table. We seldom if ever put bonded joints in tension mode.

Actually, the tensile and flexural strength of the laminate is more applicable for the laminating epoxies. Too bad that's not often available, though.

Peel strength would be better for the adhesives which will eventually end up in the second post.

Actually, the tensile and flexural strength of the laminate is more applicable for the laminating epoxies. Too bad that's not often available, though.

Peel strength would be better for the adhesives which will eventually end up in the second post.

Please explain how tensile strength affects laminating. I do not see anyone pulling perpendicular to the layup in any axis. I agree that the flexibility modulus is applicable.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Please explain how tensile strength affects laminating. I do not see anyone pulling perpendicular to the layup in any axis. I agree that the flexibility modulus is applicable.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Read My Words:

"tensile and flexural strength OF THE LAMINATE"

We put the resultant composites in tensile loading quite often. Tensile, and not peeling.

EDIT: Now I see your confusion. When I wrote "tensile strength" I meant "tensile strength along the cloth". It does depend on the resin system.

I still do not see a significant tensile load along the layup. Compression, yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

In a tube, you get exactly as much compression on one side as you have tension on the other side, when the tube as a whole is experiencing a bending moment.

I was unable to find shear strength of any of these epoxies with the exception of Aeropoxy.

Alex

Ok bending I will buy however I would be more concerned about brittle failure in that mode. I would also be concerned about peel as the composite may be stiffer than the substrate and as the structure flexes it would pull away from the side in compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

C'mon guys. The list isn't perfect, but none of us has taken the time to make one.
I copy/pasted it under rockets\construction\adhesives\epoxies on my computer. Always handy.
Many thanks, Alex.

Fibre Glast System 2000
System 3
MGS 285 286 287
MGS 385 386 387

A few to add, off the top of my head. The first, and the last two, are used to build commercial planes. System 3 can probably be found at Woodcraft. Exotherm is high with that one; haven't used it for anything in a decade at least. MGS can be found at Aircraft Spruce. I've always gotten my System 2000 surplus post expiration, so you'll have to search for it. It is probably available, as much as any others.

Gerald

Need to add: Pro-Set: www.prosetepoxy.com
Bob Smith 15 min and 30 min.

Bob Smith laminating Epoxy is a waste!
I've used it and it takes forever to cure.
I'd rather use polyester than BS laminating epoxy

JD

Fibre Glast System 2000
System 3
MGS 285 286 287
MGS 385 386 387

A few to add, off the top of my head. The first, and the last two, are used to build commercial planes. System 3 can probably be found at Woodcraft. Exotherm is high with that one; haven't used it for anything in a decade at least. MGS can be found at Aircraft Spruce. I've always gotten my System 2000 surplus post expiration, so you'll have to search for it. It is probably available, as much as any others.

Gerald

I will say one thing on the laminating epoxies. Be careful with the tensile strength ratings; a lot of those values are not the neat resins themselves. They are rating that with whatever they laid up.

Mat

I will say one thing on the laminating epoxies. Be careful with the tensile strength ratings; a lot of those values are not the neat resins themselves. They are rating that with whatever they laid up.

Mat

They usually had 2 categories. One with neat resin and one with a composite.

Alex

It's been a while since I bought epoxy but you can add, if you want, Titan from Home Depot. Less expensive than most I built a 6X RAMJET and my 3rd level rocket useing it. The last of it I used to build a 4 x 10" speaker bass cabinet. To help eliminate any rattles I painted the inside with it. I think it works pretty good and will be useing it when I build my 8X RAMJET 3rd level project.

Back