List-Flis influenced build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdooley

Reaction score
Well, after reading the recent 13mm motor mount and Preator threads, I kit bashed a spare Quest Icarus laying around...

I didn't really like the Icarus model, mainly due to the fin design. The Preator inspired me.

This model is pretty big for minis, should turn out some low/slow flights on A3's.
For reference, the Quest BT is slightly smaller than Estes BT55.

I just used the standard Quest mount with 13mm mount glued inside.

You're just a busy builder! Did you just get back into rocketry because it sure seems like you got the bug! I wasn't sure if you had mentioned that previously. Haha...FlisKits got to you.

I am looking forward to seeing you and all of your new builds at the HERC meet this weekend with all these new rockets. You absolutely HAVE to fly the Big Bertha on an E9 again!!! Oh, please don't let me forget the Mosquito!

I thought you guys were going to Whittakers(sp) this weekend..

If not, I best finish my new launcher and get some stuff done.

Hopefully won't have to do Friday-at-midnight painting like last time!!:)

Originally posted by pdooley
I thought you guys were going to Whittakers(sp) this weekend..

If not, I best finish my new launcher and get some stuff done.

Hopefully won't have to do Friday-at-midnight painting like last time!!:)

Nope. HERC is the 3rd Saturday which is this Saturday. Whitakers is on the 24th. So you see, I'll be attending TWO launches this month. :D

Originally posted by eugenefl
Nope. HERC is the 3rd Saturday which is this Saturday. Whitakers is on the 24th. So you see, I'll be attending TWO launches this month. :D

Pout...I have to work! Meh... ROCKET MONEY! WOOHOO!

But don't worry about any other 3rd Saturdays this year. I already requested them off! Youse best be bringing out these next month, Pat!

Jason

Yes Eugene, got back into rocketry just before 1st HERC I attended.

Jason, I have every Saturday off:)
Will see you next month with all my new stuff and the SBB;)

oops, oh yea, Eugene, I will bring SBB this Saturday.

I would really like to see your Max Gyroc. Are you flying it Sat?

oops, oh yea, Eugene, I will bring SBB this Saturday.

I would really like to see your Max Gyroc. Are you flying it Sat?

Nah. I'll bring it for the locals to check out. I have to save the tragedy or glory for the masses at Whitakers. :D

BTW, I was talking about your D-mount standard Big Bertha that you launched on the E9. ;)

Oh, OK.
how could I forget that??
I will give everybody a heads-up this time, I don't think you guys were expecting that for a first launch on a windy day!!

I will hopefully finish my Jetra ripoff with the 4x24mm motor mount. Gonna try that one on 2 motors to start with.

And......bring my mosquito!! We'll try to donate that one to improve your luck.:p

Well, after reading the recent 13mm motor mount and Preator threads, I kit bashed a spare Quest Icarus laying around...

I didn't really like the Icarus model, mainly due to the fin design. The Preator inspired me.

Cool rocket and i love the Praetor influence :)

That thing should fly cool on A10-3T's. The rocket I built with a 13mm mount in a bt-50 tube far exceeded my expectations!

Well, the little guy got a couple 13mm flights with A10's before I got tired of it.
I pulled the mini mount out and attempted a multi stage flight C11/B6.
The staging was done similar to the D/C staging in the Commanche.

Not sure what happened, but the 18mm mount burned and the motor ejected, resulting in a lawn dart.

Either the C11 was too hot during stage seperation or the B6 CATO'ed.

Any Ideas?

cool rocket ,I like the mini praetor look..so I'm building a smaller one for the back yard.. I notice in the first pick the grain appears to be aligned with the trailing edge but with the shape probably doesn't matter much..

is it repairable?

Originally posted by stymye
I notice in the first pick the grain appears to be aligned with the trailing edge but with the shape probably doesn't matter much..

is it repairable?

Good eye! Yep, I guess the grain is slighty off, but didn't cause a problem. After the lawn dart, 2 of the fins separated clean from the body tube with no damage.
I rebuilt last night with the old fins and a spare Quest body tube, this time a little longer.

The motor mount proved to be a slight challenge as I didn't have any more Quest size centering rings.
I am not that skilled at cutting custom rings, so I made a motor mount with Estes BT55 rings and glued them inside a 4 inch section of BT55 body tube.
This in turn slipped perfectly into the slightly larger Quest tube.

just to let you know, the Quest BT55ish tuing is slightly LARGER that the Bt55 tubing. You said it was smaller but in fact it is bigger. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by havoc821
just to let you know, the Quest BT55ish tuing is slightly LARGER that the Bt55 tubing. You said it was smaller but in fact it is bigger.

Huh? Where did I say that?:confused:

Well, the little guy got a couple 13mm flights with A10's before I got tired of it.
I pulled the mini mount out and attempted a multi stage flight C11/B6.
The staging was done similar to the D/C staging in the Commanche.

Not sure what happened, but the 18mm mount burned and the motor ejected, resulting in a lawn dart.

Either the C11 was too hot during stage seperation or the B6 CATO'ed.

Any Ideas?

hard to say, but i've seen most every size motor cato from time to time... if the motor (B6) burned and was ejected upon ignition I would say that you suffered a blow-through on the motor (a soft cato, as it were).

...ick...

Nice job on the rebuild. Looks even better than the first one.

Originally posted by slim_t
Nice job on the rebuild. Looks even better than the first one.

The Quest centering rings were disappointing, very thin, flimsy cardboard. They warped when wet with glue.

The Estes size rings are the carbon black BMS variety, much better quality.

I like the 2-tone paint better now too, the previous was solid blue.
I used Epxoy instead of wood glue for fin attachment, it dried clear and looks sanitary. I don't think I will even bother painting it.

Only problem I have now is loading it up with another B6 out of that batch....

Dude, you didn't waste *any* time rebuilding that bird! Nice work Pat.

thanks Eugene. for some reason I just felt like bringing it back to life.
I will definitely attempt another 2 stage launch with it next month.

Back