List 5 Rockets For Your Dream Fleet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok hobie1dog, let's get serious... ;)

Money no object, what 5 rockets would you put in the fleet of your dreams? Scale, Exotic/SciFi Rockets, Sport, Oddrocs?

No water or rocket cars (those would need a separate building). Pictures are encouraged.

1) The original Estes Cineroc/Omega Combo... Not a set, but the ORIGINAL rocket/camera (built by Mike Dorffler (seen below with it)) as seen in Estes promotional materials), the one that went missing all those years ago.

1669877730986.png

2) The original Binder Design Velociraptor (currently residing in Tammies Hobbies, Beaverton, Oregon).

1669877595707.png

3) 4" upscale of Estes Cineroc/Omega (and a spare payload section to change the Omega an upscale of the K-52P). (PVC would only now be used for the camera body).

1669877470774.png

4) Accurate 1/48 *FLYING* scale model of the Apollo/Saturn V, complete with 3 functional stages, and an escape tower that actually launches. (Note image below is not a flying model (the gal probably flies commercial)).

1669877192013.png

5) My 6" MegaRaptor upscale of the Binder Design Raptor.
1669877130537.png

Last edited:
A big V2
BD's Velociraptor
Blue Bird Zero: I guess a 4", since I have in one all the smaller sizes! (Including a Gooney Bird Zero!)
3" or 4" Sentinelle
Some old Estes' or Fliskit sci-fi fantasy star ship, upscaled (Andromeda, Alien 8, etc..)

A V2 original in flying condition rigged to recover.
Shuttle stack that stages accurately, preferably without fins. MPR or LPR
Estes USS Cassiopeia
A new Odyssey by Rokitflite
Lots of Zooch kits that I missed

A custom-built Omega Supreme rocket, but all of the versions have so many details I still haven't figured out a way to build any of them efficiently, so I'm letting this idea out to someone with more time, skills and equipment. Good luck! 🤖 🚀

omega-supreme-parts-2_1191931862.jpgtakara-transformers-siege-sg-39-omega-supreme-with-autobot-countdown-20__scaled_800.jpg

TFGenesisOmega31.jpeg

Last edited:
The Wildman Andromeda with a nose shaped like the original Andromeda's nose.

A 1/100 scale Gemini-Titan to go with my other 1/100 scale Saturns and Mercurys.

And the following three represent aspirations of mine:

The "Dreadnought," currently planned as my first rocket with a 98mm motor mount, is an all-fiberglass, 7.5-8" diameter 3FNC

The "Korolev's Cross," a high-power rocket with four strap-on boosters that create a perfect Korelev's Cross upon separation.

The "Apostle," which exists as sort of an "end goal" of my career (if you can call it that) in hobby rocketry. It would have a 98mm core with 4 98mm strap-on boosters, and a 98mm upper stage.

The Wildman Andromeda with a nose shaped like the original Andromeda's nose.

A 1/100 scale Gemini-Titan to go with my other 1/100 scale Saturns and Mercurys.

And the following three represent aspirations of mine:

The "Dreadnought," currently planned as my first rocket with a 98mm motor mount, is an all-fiberglass, 7.5-8" diameter 3FNC

The "Korolev's Cross," a high-power rocket with four strap-on boosters that create a perfect Korelev's Cross upon separation.

The "Apostle," which exists as sort of an "end goal" of my career (if you can call it that) in hobby rocketry. It would have a 98mm core with 4 98mm strap-on boosters, and a 98mm upper stage.
Korolev's Apostle. N1000-N1000, surrounded by qty. 4x M1350?

what is the diameter of it?
Just off the top of my head if I remember correctly the base up to the transition is 10 inches then the after the transition is 8 inches, length 12 ft.
This is for the Block 1 model
edit:
http://www.fi-aeroweb.com/Defense/RIM-162-ESSM.htmlThe ESSM has an 8-inch diameter forebody that tapers to a 10-inch diameter rocket motor. The forebody includes a guidance section uses a radome-protected antenna for semi-active homing and attaches to an improved warhead section. A high-thrust, solid-propellant 10-inch diameter rocket motor provides high thrust for maneuverability with tail control via a Thrust Vector Controller (TVC). The effective tracking performance and agile kinematics of the ESSM result from S-band and X-band midcourse uplinks, high average velocity and tail control, increased firepower through a vertical quad pack launcher, and greater lethality with a warhead designed for defeating hardened Anti-Ship Cruise Missiles (ASCM).

Last edited:
Italian Sea killer which is my all-time favorite which I hope to do a 1/2 scale version for L3 about 7 1/2 ft. long
V1tQ4SI.png

PML MR-1 which I lost this year
Bh7oiZV.png

Apogee Level-2 which I have ready to do L2
k4WiA4N.jpg

Fat Boy
fijKx1l.jpg

Upscale Marte Mk2
ZmSVXkP.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Hadn't known this existed. What a chunk! When you make the kit, it practically begs for ironwood parts! And the existence of this distinctive Australian missile practically begs you to make a kit. :cool:

Love the subtlety of your hints!

All my five pics are on the drawing board in one way or another…

One of the metal finned Performance Rocketry 4.5” ARCAS
A stable 4” Talos
Doc Damerau’s (RIP) two stage Orbital Dynamics Coyote
The Gates Bros Jayhawk
A 6” PML Lunar Express

5. Fully size porta potty rocket.

As one of the people who worked on that project (and that's my voice on the PA by the way) all I gotta say is...no you don't. I just don't think people realize the nightmare that is attempting to launch something that sized. Especially as a group project. I mean, I guess it would have been different had the project been funded by ONE individual ruling over the project as a monarch but where this was a collaborative effort it was like herding cats. And that's all I'll say about that...

It went to around 1700' and some change weighed in at 400# and landed about 2' away from a truck. The AP picked up the story and it ran as far away as New Zeeland. We were on the front page of The Chive for a while when it was a thing. Good memories for sure but not something I'd care to repeat.

Can I do a bottom 5 rockets that I never want to fly? Kind of a anti-dream fleet

5. Cosmos Mariner - this model is possessed by Satan himself.

4. Anything over 25 lbs. I'm just getting way too old to recover something that big

3. Contest Rockets - I tried. I hate 'em. Glad other people enjoy them though

2. Rockets built by someone else. I just refuse. No idea what went into the build as far as glue, materials, etc. I know I'm probably being super paranoid but this just ain't my style. I might make an exception as like a memorial or occasion like that...

1. Big ole community projects...Learned my lesson from the porta-potty. No matter how small or insignificant the contribution people often have the idea that their ideas and concepts MUST be listened to and if the group decides against it well then...time to be offended and pissed off. Which is interesting since I keep mentoring a USLI team year after year which is in essence - a big ole community project...But there's a different mindset with those projects - at least with my team. There's a established pecking order and the funding is either from the University or a sponsor which helps.

Back