List 5 Rockets For Your Dream Fleet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who make this fat boy? (name escapes me right now!)
Dave Triano of Shadow Aero made them. I contacted him about coming back out with them, but he said there's not enough interest for him to make 100 kits up. He could sell 25-40? and then be sitting on the rest. The Ultra Fat Boy had the tail cone.

Uhm.. the day off tomorrow?!?

:D
Sweet GIF

Estes Der Big Red Max
Estes Blue Bird Zero
Estes Colossus
North Coast Phantom 4000
LOC Magnum

Budget and launch site aside:

Extreme, Ultimate and Jumbo Darkstars to round out my fleet of them.

Full Scale Nike-Tomahawk

Scale Space Shuttle with active stabilization, fall away boosters. And the glider equipped with RC flight controls.

Already have three that I need to build...
Madcow Jayhawk & Bomarc.
Wildman 4" Darkstar

I'd like a good sized Aerobee Hi and SA-2 Dvina... both as two stage.

I'm taking my time selecting 5, but here's another I kind of obviously want:

1. Scratch-built Omega Supreme (a Transformers character)
2. 1:100 scale, 2-stage Starship with Booster
3. To be determined
4. To be determined
5. To be determined

Last edited:
1) Space Dynamics AEROBEE kit, my all time ' wish I'd gotten one' kit

2) Hott Rockets full scale IQSY Tomahawk

3) 10" Thumper ( someone needs to bring these back)

4) an original ACE Squid

5) ?? Estes Nomad, one I always wanted as a kid, but never got, a clone is on the list...

LOC King Viper
LOC Top Gun
6 inch Talon
Something from MAC Performance because I love the designs like
Tsirkon
or
Bolt

All of these are 50% more dough than I'll ever pay unless a lotto winner. Last large rocket I paid for was a $130 RW Sublime long before Madcow bought them. I doubt I'll ever pay more than that for a rocket again... But I have come close once or twice.

But you did say 'Dream' fleet.

FSI Black Brant
Estes Black Brant
Mad Cow Black Brant 4" diameter
6" Diameter Scratch Built 4 Fin Black Brant 2 with Checker Board Roll Pattern
6" Diameter Scratch Built 4 Fin Black Brant 2 with Solid Black Paint Pattern
Scale Black Brant launch pad to match the 6" diameter Black Brant 2 with 4 fins

Hope this isn't too much of a necropost but it came up in the related threads:

1) Estes Maxi-Force
1702437838063.png
2) The Launch Pad Hellfire
1702437964755.png

3) TMRK Pegasus

1702437989273.png

4) Estes Exocet
1702438015557.png
5) Public Enemy Ultra Fatboy
1702438374683.png

I've never even seen a picture of the NCR Pegasus, but it was in some of the old catalogs. As you can probably guess, the Exocet and the Pegasus are two of my favorite rocket designs. Too bad Giant Leap Rocketry doesn't build the nuclear sledgehammer anymore; I'd have tracked that down too

That's tough. The more I do this, the more I lose interest in big, high power stuff and want to focus on LPR and MPR. On the other hand, that's in part because of budget and time constraints, so I'd do at least some more HPR if money were no object (and that would mean I could retire and build a well equipped workshop).

So, the list is for LPR/MPR is mostly stuff that I could do now if only I would get off my fat backside and get over my fear of spending even small to moderate amounts of money on myself.
  • Flutterby
  • King Kraken
  • Scratch MPR upscale of a FlisKits sci-fi design like Borealis or Tesla or Alien8 or something
My other two are cheating, because they are families that would include more than five each. Both families would have to span from LPR to HPR for scale reasons.
  • Big Bertha upscales and downscales for every standard motor diameter from MicroMaxx to 98 mm, with names like Tiny Tina, Small Sara, Big Bertha, Large Laura, Huge Helga, etc. (I might choose names honoring women in my extended family, which would lead to things like Nano Nina [my daughter], Medium Miriam [my sister], Large Lynda [my mother-in-law], etc.)
  • A fleet of semiscale sounding rockets - sustainers and boosters - all in the same scale, to mix and match in multistage combinations both real and imaginary (rather like @Charles_McG has been doing).

1. a 1/1 of something
2. EX rocket
3. A NTP rocket (if someone complains about radiation I’ll set off for Jupiter)
1. OK, you really don't care what? How about a Super Arcas, 2.7 m tall by 0.11 m diameter?
2. What's that? "EX" as in "EX motors"? If so, one could apply that label to any original design scratch build. Did you mean something else?
3. A model of one, I presume?

1. OK, you really don't care what? How about a Super Arcas, 2.7 m tall by 0.11 m diameter?
2. What's that? "EX" as in "EX motors"? If so, one could apply that label to any original design scratch build. Did you mean something else?
3. A model of one, I presume?
1. Yup I would prefer bigger but I really just want to say that it’s 1/1.
2.yup I want one of the sort with the motor and rocket as 1 unit.
3. No a real one it is dream right?

1. Sheri's Hot Rockets Shuttle Stack (had one, but sold it when I lost my job).
  2. Performance Rocketry 6" fg X-15
  3. Giant Leap Talon ("Sexiest Rocket!" 😆 )
  4. TLP Nike Hercules (had one, but also sold when I lost my job).
  5. Polecat Wocket (came very close to buying one, but put it off too many times. Oh well.)

I will put these in ascending order. The choices are based of functionality as well as looks. I can design [maybe not build] pretty much anything and most of these are custom or kit bashed.

5. A 7.5 rocket with interchangeable motor mounts and adjustable drag so I can fly clusters, and to use as a motor testbed. This modified LOC Doorknob will be built this winter.
DoorKnob Mod.jpg

4. A giant rocket of some sort, Right now I am leaning toward a 11-12" Laser-X upscale.

5.5 laser-x.png

3. A Oddroc/saucer/spool type. This is a rough concept.

Minion.jpg

2. A badass, balls to the wall fiberglass rocket that will handle most any motor.

Ginsu.png

1. My avatar picture, The Sprint ABM, I have a thread on it that needs/will be updated at some point.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/sprint-abm-build-thread.174473/
New 12-1-22.png

Back