List 5 Airplanes for your Dream Hangar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Tech 68,

The A-37 is a great choice. The T-37 was a fun airplane to fly. Very balanced.
A T-37 with T-38 engines, thats a winning formula

No need for me to fly. I will leave that and trust the pilots to deliver me to my next destination.

Ok, I'll play!

1) Gulfstream G650: because I'll need the range to get from KGTU to Biggin Hill to see <insert band name here> at Hammersmith Odeon/O2/Wembley without stopping for fuel in Reykjavík. Downside: I will need to add multi and type ratings, and need a copilot, and London does not have quality barbecue.

2) Cessna 172: the tiny little Swiss army knife of airplanes. Equip it with the fancy Garmin deck and we're all set for Texas barbecue runs. Also, I've got a bunch of hours in 172s, and even did my Commercial checkride in one. I love the little boogers.

3) P-51D. Specifically, one made in Texas, because Texas. Get off my runway, I'm going to get barbecue

4) Bell 505 Jet Ranger X: I've always wanted to add on a Helicopter rating. Might as well do it in a sexy yet economical tool. Also useful for barbecue runs to locations without airports.

5) Cessna Caravan: tremendously useful for a wide range of short range transport, such as taking a larger group of friends on a barbecue run. Will require a type rating, though.

See, I'm a car lovin' motorcycle breathin' lunatic, so my five would be to race and one to fly to the races...

1. Lightning

Lightning.jpeg

2. Hurricane. The plane that really won the Battle of Britain (purely based on numbers)

Hawker Hurricane.jpg

3. Corsair. Say no more.

Vought_F4U_Corsair_(USMC).jpg

4. The beast P-47 Thunderbolt

P-47 Thunderbolt.jpg

5. My transport - Bede BD-5

Bede BD-5.jpg

Dad and Grandad were each pilots for a season of their lives & I used to get all Dad's aviation magazines when he was done with them.
The 1960s and 1970s air magazines were a bit different in purpose and content than the last I looked at contemporary magazines in stores recently.

Though my screen name is model trains, airplanes, and spacecraft, are very much an interest.

🤔 :oops: My brain is freezing up at the volume of possibilities, mental overwhelm.

Aw man ...

What might I throw together here at 12:12 am ... ???

Can pretty much guarantee that every time you ask my list will be different ...

Bristol F.2b, https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Bristol-F-2B-Fighter/942442

Caudron G.3, https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Caudron-G-3/1809083

Republic RC-3 Seabee, https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Republic-RC-3-Seabee/2480231

Burnelli UB-14, or similar, https://aerovek.com/lounge/post.php?pid=2091

Short SC.7 Skyvan, https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Short-SC-7-Skyvan-3-100/2728035

2. Hurricane. The plane that really won the Battle of Britain (purely based on numbers)

Hurricane brings to mind this yesterday from a WordPress blog I follow,
https://elpoderdelasgalaxias.wordpress.com/2022/11/30/hawker-fury-monoplane-one-two/
As early as in 1925, the same year he became Chief designer at the Hawker company, Sydney Camm designed his first monoplane fighter. The latter was not built, but Camm already knew the time of the biplane has a reached its zenith and the monoplane era knocking on the door. His second try started eight years later with this private venture “Monoplane Fury” design. Basically a monoplane adaptation of the company’s successful Fury biplane powered by the troublesome 660hp RR Goshawk steam-cooled engine. A proposal was made to the Air Ministry in 1935, but by then the potential of the RR PV 12 (Merlin‘s forerunner) engine meant a brand new design approach was needed. Enter Camm’s third try.

"Third try" text links to, https://elpoderdelasgalaxias.wordpress.com/2020/09/12/hawker-hurricane-mk-i-the-first-in-triplicate/

SR-71, sometimes you just need to go fast

1669899458319.png
DH Beaver, just love everything about it, from the sound and feel of the engine to the way it flies

1669899544203.png1669899642763.png
AS350 Worked on everything from Aluettes to Sikorsky, grew to love the AS 350 more than any other.

Aviat Eagle (Cristen Eagle) I've wanted this one from it's first day of production

1669899200364.png1669899265401.png

T-38 - Those beautiful sleek lines

Focke Wulf Ta152H-11669904210509.png
Supermarine Spitfire Mk 241669904264979.png
Focke Wulf Fw190D-91669904368077.png
Fieseler Fi 156 Storch Messerschmidt Me2621669904678403.png1669904460296.png

Ok, I'll play!

1) Gulfstream G650: because I'll need the range to get from KGTU to Biggin Hill to see <insert band name here> at Hammersmith Odeon/O2/Wembley without stopping for fuel in Reykjavík. Downside: I will need to add multi and type ratings, and need a copilot, and London does not have quality barbecue.

2) Cessna 172: the tiny little Swiss army knife of airplanes. Equip it with the fancy Garmin deck and we're all set for Texas barbecue runs. Also, I've got a bunch of hours in 172s, and even did my Commercial checkride in one. I love the little boogers.

3) P-51D. Specifically, one made in Texas, because Texas. Get off my runway, I'm going to get barbecue

4) Bell 505 Jet Ranger X: I've always wanted to add on a Helicopter rating. Might as well do it in a sexy yet economical tool. Also useful for barbecue runs to locations without airports.

5) Cessna Caravan: tremendously useful for a wide range of short range transport, such as taking a larger group of friends on a barbecue run. Will require a type rating, though.

So, I...uh....take it you like barbecue?

So, I...uh....take it you like barbecue?
What else would you use an airplane for in Texas?

Just about every small airport in the US has what is known as a "courtesy car," essentially a clunker that pilots can borrow. Most of them are retired cop cars. You simply fly in, buy some gas, and let the folks at the counter know that you need to run into town for lunch. They pitch you the keys, you run your errands, and bring the car back with more gas than it left with.

There's a small town called Llano* here that boasts one of the finest BBQ spots in the world, Cooper's BBQ. The lunch run activity at the airport here is so great that they have a small fleet of courtesy cars.

So, yeah, there is a symbiotic relationship between general aviation and brisket here. <G>

James

* Llano County is the setting for the book and movie "Old Yeller," which features neither airplanes nor barbecue. It did make you cry, though.

More a list of favorites than anything practical
P-38
F-104
SR-71
DR-1 why have only one or two wings
CH-47. That's a really grocery getter 2 rotors give you a huge cg envelope!

What else would you use an airplane for in Texas?

Just about every small airport in the US has what is known as a "courtesy car," essentially a clunker that pilots can borrow. Most of them are retired cop cars. You simply fly in, buy some gas, and let the folks at the counter know that you need to run into town for lunch. They pitch you the keys, you run your errands, and bring the car back with more gas than it left with.

There's a small town called Llano* here that boasts one of the finest BBQ spots in the world, Cooper's BBQ. The lunch run activity at the airport here is so great that they have a small fleet of courtesy cars.

So, yeah, there is a symbiotic relationship between general aviation and brisket here. <G>

James

* Llano County is the setting for the book and movie "Old Yeller," which features neither airplanes nor barbecue. It did make you cry, though.
Where I did my undergrad the cross country trips for the pilot majors were based on which restaurants were near the airports

Who said anything about the requirement for real planes??? It does say "Dream Hangar"

All of these fly thru the air, some just have additional capabilities! Item #2 would be great for fun short trips with better fuel efficiency - lol

1. Millenium falcon - Just because
2. T47 Airspeeder - It would be super fun
3. Colonial Viper MK-II - Not everything has to be from Star Wars
4. Serenity - Has decent cargo space and good for interstellar travel.
5. Flying Sub - Sometimes you want to go underwater too...

Image1.jpgImage2.jpgImage3.jpgImage4.jpgImage5.jpg

Seeing how the conversation has gone, I'll define "plane" as being any vessel that has transited through air, and respectfully submit this one:

1669919984877.png

Moments later:

1669920012532.png

And then jumping out right before it would have impacted New Caprica. Perhaps the greatest maneuver of all time.

I'm gonna need a bigger hangar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back