Liquidfyre style through-wall camera mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioFlyer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the Liquidfyre Rocketry style through wall camera mount/Shrouds but it seems they are no longer available. Does anyone know of an available alternative? Really not a fan of the stick on style camera pods so hopefully there is something available. Appreciate and help I can get!

I don't like the bulky stick on shrouds either. My camera is mounted inside the av bay with the lens aimed out the side of the airframe for a side view. Still captures much of the ground.

what diameter rocket? I've got a 4" mold that I made, but I could probably make another diameter if you need

It appears there might be some interest... how big of a hurry is everyone in? I only have the one mold for the carbon part made so it's gonna be a bit of a slow process getting them made up for a while, unfortunately. How does everyone feel about $50 shipped in the US for a sled and shroud and hardware? I don't think I can get a shroud molded up tonight, but I was gonna try. Here is the sled, minus the camera being epoxied in and thread inserts installed.

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 120
I would feel great about sending you $100 for a three inch and a four inch set up. Can PayPal to you if you’d like. I’m not in a hurry.

Let me ask you guys, since there doesn't seem to be an extension cable for the runcam 2 4k, how comfortable would you be with decasing the whole camera and just bonding it into the carrier? I feel its simple enough, but I do realize you are pretty well tied down... you aren't gonna be able to move the camera back to it's original form, but to be fair, the the the same was true with the liquidfyre shroud... it may be that the av bay will need to be sealed against gases better, to protect the board and it's components, but, why not just cover them in epoxy (with discretion) while you are bonding them into the carrier if you're worried, but if you want to replace the battery, or even access the SD card or USB, I can't seal the thing up anyways, so I think it's somewhat unavoidable, and while I have the stuff to do a stock Mobius shroud, and I certainly would/will do so, I just wonder if pursuing the Runcam 2 4k would be a better option from a future lifetime point of view... but until (if?) there is cable to extend the sensor outside the casing, I think gutting and gluing is the option... let me know, and I can start work on it... I probably will just for myself anyways.

It's a dumb story, but my epoxy is in my car and the dealership has had it for a week and a half now, so I haven't been able to mold a shroud to show you guys... I was told it's done tonight, but I wasn't able to get there in time time (stupid work)... I will go get it in the morning and hopefully get a shroud molded up tomorrow night and then release it out of the mold the night after and post up a picture. Thanks, guys.

I'm not in any huge rush and $50 shipped seems like a fair price.

Regarding camera, the mobius mini looks to be going for around $70 these days which is a bit much considering the runcam2 4k is only $30 more.

That said, have you looked at the Runcam Split3 series? It won't do 4k but it will do 1080p 60fps which is more than enough for my needs (uploading videos to YouTube and sharing with friends/family). At $60 it seems like a really good fit for this application.

https://shop.runcam.com/runcam-split-3-micro-and-split-3-nano/

I’d certainly be willing to try a Runcam or other camera over a mobius too. I don’t fully understand how you would get the lens where it needs to be if there is no cable available to attach it at some distance away from the camera body, but maybe I am missing something there. Perhaps it would be helpful to state what my objectives are, at the risk of stating the obvious. (I think the OP’s objectives are similar.)

in simplest terms, I am trying to get downward-pointed video cameras in minimum diameter rockets. Which, unless you can get everything including the lens 100% inside the airframe, would really be near-minimum diameter. So I am trying to get as close to MD as possible while still maintaining a shot where the camera is pointed at the ground. Additionally, the quality of the image is very important to me, so using an endoscopy camera or the like is probably not going to work.

Very open to collaboration and experimentation, and I think the $50 price point mentioned is very reasonable. I tried to fashion my own lens shrouds, which seems like it would be fairly easy, but the misshapen blobs I’ve produced so far are only slightly better than just putting the entire camera in an external shroud.

I can make you the shroud, in carbon, and 3d print you the camera sled assuming you are using the standard modius setup
Dan, I would be interested in this too. It is for an Aerotech Arreauxbee-Hi and will be installed in the payload bay. I have 2 Mobuis cameras now but if it needs to have the lens separated from the body and extended I can buy a mini or full size Mobius for the project.

1627601104056.png
Progress so far... I think we're going to have a winner here fairly soon. Thank you to Ohio Flyer for sharing some of the development cost by providing me with some test cables. I little more refinement and we should be set. I'd like to start machining the mold for the shroud this weekend.

Awesome. When you are ready to accept payment for a 3” and a 4” setup, let me know.

Thank you OhioFlyer for starting this thread.

Last edited:
Looks like the RunCam 4K. Do you have info on the cable?
It will come with the kit... machining the mold for the shroud now... hope to lay up the first shroud tonight and if all fits and works, we are all set

And there we are... I was a bit light on the resin on this one, so I wont be sending it out, but it all fits together very nicely, and this is going to work :) One last request for color choices on the carrier side of things, otherwise I'm just going to order a deep blue I think.

Attachments

• 20210802_112421.jpg
    20210802_112421.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 78
Either bright orange to match the Runcam or black. That said, I'm totally fine with whatever color you decide on as the carrier isn't visible from the outside once installed.

I think I'm ready to start sending out 4" versions now. I have a 5" one that needs a little tweaking yet, and I'll be getting started on the 3" version within the week, with luck.

Let me know when and how you’d like payment. Greatly appreciate your work on this, and OhioFlyer’s initiation of the thread.

USPS flat rate boxes FINALLY showed up today, so I'm hoping to start getting kits out shortly... I guess this is my first time creating a product for sale... I definitely underestimated the length of time it was going to take getting everything wrapped up and ready to be sent out. Thank you all for your patience.

Back